Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reason you Might want to rethink online dating

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
    You "Might" have to explain the term "Rack" to our non seafaring friends Thal...

- - - Updated - - -

BTW,nice "Rack" ..
    Can't say nothing myself as that's pretty much where my mind went with fix her rack.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

But you were a swab jockey Monsno..a deck ape like us.
      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Lol, the whole reason it's funny is because most people don't think "bunk" first. And let's face it, a bunk is a whole lot roomier than a rack.
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

I had a top rack,right up in the overhead...also had plenty of places to put stuff(vents and pipes and such.) Was a bit of a trick to swing in after climbing the chains,but when you are young it is easier. For a bit I was a day sleeper,working the night shift in the laundry,and also did vending machines before I went to sleep. People would wake me because the soda machine was out,so I got a Gunners mate to let me sleep in the gun mount.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

I had a top rack,
            That's what guys look for on dating sites!
            sigpic
            Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

I had a top rack,right up in the overhead...also had plenty of places to put stuff(vents and pipes and such.) Was a bit of a trick to swing in after climbing the chains,but when you are young it is easier. For a bit I was a day sleeper,working the night shift in the laundry,and also did vending machines before I went to sleep. People would wake me because the soda machine was out,so I got a Gunners mate to let me sleep in the gun mount.
              Sounds like you were in the old canvas racks. Never had to use those but recall tours on a few older ships and some of them had as many as 5 racks so the top rack would have been a chore to get into.

Funny I suppose but I can still "feel" the feel of the mattress as I hooked an arm under it to keep from getting tossed out and onto the deck during rough sea's. Well that or the steep angles and dangles on the boat's when you'd find yourself crunched up at the head of the rack going deep or sliding to the foot when on a steep up angle. One thing the boat's and skimmer's had in common, tiny coffin lockers so the top rack was a luxury even with all the potential overhead pipes and such.

Comment

I was on the Piedmont,an AD-17 Destroyer tender.

Pic here,it was decommissioned a while back,and sold to Turkey I believe.

It was a BIG ship,over 2,000 crew.

Wiki Here.

After being decommissioned from the U.S. Navy, Piedmont was transferred to the Turkish Navy, where she served from 1982 to 1994 as TCG Derya. She was decommissioned from the Turkish Navy in 1994 and scrapped the following year.

- - - Updated - - -

I should mention it served in WW2.

- - - Updated - - -

Closest thing to a picture of a "Rack" I could find.

- - - Updated - - -

This is the old style racks..

- - - Updated - - -

This,though it looks like back in WW2 kinda brings back memory's.

- - - Updated - - -

Slipped into nostalgia,I ONCE made the cardinal sin of washing a chiefs coffee cup that had attained a fine patina like this.

Why some people do not understand why my Coffee cup looks like that.

- - - Updated - - -

Need to start a Navy stories thread, Below is a link to the story of why you never wash your coffee Mug.

Story here.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

About the coffee, is that why they call it a "mess"?
                  sigpic
                  Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

The Navy has MANY interesting traditions,some that would not make sense to anyone who had not served on a ship. The order of the Golden dragon for one,and the Shellback Ceremony. Also there is the Sea Bat,a secret only revealed to a seasoned sailor.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
                      About the coffee, is that why they call it a "mess"?
                      Nope. A Mess tied back to the notion of where people slept and ate. You had the Officers Mess or Wardroom, The Enlisted Mess (E1-E6) and Chiefs or Goat Locker Mess (E7-E-9) Over time you did get things like the E-6 Mess when you had a lot of E-6's, occasionally an E-5 & E-6 mess.

Regarding the coffee cup that is a cardinal sin to clean a seasoned cup. Sounds strange but there is a difference in taste between a seasoned cup and a virgin or cleaned cup. But until you try some of the older coffee you might find on ship, heck even shore, it doesn't make sense. I'm talking the kind of coffee that eats spoons or allows the spoon to stand straight up when released.

- - - Updated - - -

The Navy has MANY interesting traditions,some that would not make sense to anyone who had not served on a ship. The order of the Golden dragon for one,and the Shellback Ceremony. Also there is the Sea Bat,a secret only revealed to a seasoned sailor.
                      Sad part is a lot of those traditions have been done away with in the name of PC or watered down really bad. Heard from a few that Shellback is nothing now. Chief's Initiation is nothing like what I went through and not even called initiation now, much less having selectee's experiencing the things we had done to us. Heaven forbid you even think about tacking on a crow or warfare device now. Granted some were done away with because things started getting out of control or going overboard. I recall when I put on 3rd a Gunny stood me against a pillar and hit my arm so hard though I was made part of that pillar. Yet truth be told wouldn't have had it any other way though arm sure was sore by the time everyone got done tacking it on. Yet also recall how a senior First purchased my first Crow and gave it to me telling me you never buy your first crow and he actually "Tacked" it onto my sleeve with thread.

Comment

Sea bats,sky hooks,bucket of elbow grease,scrubbing the head with a toothbrush...on and on it goes. Was a guy who painted a balloon with eyes that glowed in the dark,and let it float up while a New guy was standing deck watch at night. Lucky the rifle he carried was not loaded..

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Air conditioned cruises sound fun.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePaganMafia View Post
                            Air conditioned cruises sound fun.
                            Maybe now a days or in certain spaces when I served but AC sure wasn't AC as most think it is. Still recall sitting on the USS Ponce (LPD 15) and cooking eggs on the deck just to prove it could be done. Then going inside and being highly uncomfortable as the sun turned the ship into an oven. Granted the newer the ship the better the human considerations are. Of course the subs were different as many times the ocean temperature influenced the temperature within the sub. South could get warm, north and it got fairly cold in the spaces that had little heat producing items.

Comment

In the laundry we had huge blowers going all the time,however in the P.I. it was about 90-110 inside and we had to take salt pills every day, after a shift,our backs would be covered with salt sweat. There were times we slept on deck while out at sea. tied down as we slept BTW because of the ship rolling. On the destroyer I was on the water was about 3-5 feet from the deck(I loved riding a can BTW)

- - - Updated - - -

Never slept on deck in port,cause of the 'sceeters that carried many bad things.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Three us lived in this 8x8 box for a Summer. The context of the photo is I just gotten done beating the tiny A.C. unit with that metal cot piece until it started working again. I think the hottest got was 135. We had a tiny refrigerator and I would steal massive amounts of soda from the chow hall to keep it refilled. We subsisted off Mountain Dew and whatever could fit on to a to go plate. But, all we had to due was mark people on and off site and watch movies. Plus there was no one around to screw us when everyone left for the night. Was a pretty dope gig.

Comment

Working...
                                X