Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zika:Just shows how the Zombie thing could catch us off guard.

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

Re: Zika:Just shows how the Zombie thing could catch us off guard.

I'm smoking a ciggy and feeling depressed all of a sudden, for some reason...
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.

Copper Member
    Sep 2015
    Religion
    Arratu - based on Sumer 4500 to 1800BCE

OK, let me say this in small words and I'll even type it slowly for those who don't read fast:

There are a lot of things that increase the odds of getting cancer. the biggest of these risks is called genetics (the way your body is formed in mommy's tummy)
    Smoke contains some things (called chemicals) that can increase the odds of you getting sick (like with cancer). Every time you go outside your body is hit with gamma rays (it's space radiation) and gamma rays tear your DNA apart. That can give you cancer - and it does! The thing is, our bodies can repair that stuff and it does daily. You don't get sick with cancer until your body can't repair that damage any more. Then you end up diagnosed (the doctor tells you) with cancer. It doesn't matter how you got it, but now you have to either help your body fix the bad cells or you will die.

If you live long enough that your body can't fix itself you are very likely to get cancer. Your odds increase if you spend a lot of time in the sunshine without those SPF thingies. Your odds increase if you have close relatives who have had cancer because it shows that your immune system is not programmed to fix those broken cells. If you spend time at campfires, walking close to high traffic areas, burn candles or incense in your home a lot, or if you smoke these things can add to your chance of getting cancer. If your immune system is in good shape and you are not genetically inclined to get cancer the likelihood is that you will not live long enough to get it.

I know I used some big words but they were necessary. If you don't understand them there are dictionaries on line that can help.
    Ladders don't cause broken legs - the fall can - but if you know how to land or have strong and flexible bones the fall is likely to be ok.
    Baseball bats don't cause home runs. Marriage does not cause divorce.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

Only one question here DF,do you,or have you ever smoked?
    A question of importance from a LONG time smoker that quit...I smoked 56 years...and quit..But answer the question please.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

Copper Member
    Sep 2015
    Religion
    Arratu - based on Sumer 4500 to 1800BCE

Quote Originally Posted by anunitu View Post
    Only one question here DF,do you,or have you ever smoked?
    A question of importance from a LONG time smoker that quit...I smoked 56 years...and quit..But answer the question please.
    I don't know what importance it has to the conversation about cause and effect but the answer is yes, I have smoked and yes I have quit. I am 65+ years old. I have known people who have died of cancer between the ages of 7 and 66. Some were smokers but some were never exposed to cigarette smoke in their lives. One, died of a "non-specific" cancer but was a smoker. The cancer he had was not related to sun exposure or to cigarette smoking. It was likely caused by gamma radiation exposure.

Now, tell me why my smoking history is important to the conversation. Please answer the question.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

It is always good to have personal experience about a subject you are going to lecture others on is all. and I am closing in on 70,and smoked 3 packs a day for several years...
    also came very close to being dead several times because I was a little bit of a jump in feet first kind of person.. Actually surprised I got to this ripe old age..

Copper Member
    Apr 2014
    Religion
    That one where I can play with live snakes and speak gibberish.

Do facts cause cancer cause you avoid those like the plague, DF.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

Will mention a girl I worked with that tried to tell me how easy it was to quit smoking...she "Smoked" once a week on a Friday(and only one cigg) and never inhaled...
    You know just how much I listened to her....

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Closed for sheer stupidity and off-topicness.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible