Thread: Ant problems

Oct 2013
    Religion
    Egyptian Wiccan
    Phrase
    Daughter of Lord Anubis and Lady Bast.

Ant problems

Hi everyone,

So we're having ant problems in our kitchen and bathroom. I try to keep the kitchen cleaned (wash dishes, clean the counters, put up boxes of stuff, etc...) and we have been spraying the bathroom with both ant and roach spray and vinegar. However, the little buggers won't stay away. One of my organic cleaning books says that you can use peppermint, paprika, or red pepper around your doors to keep them out. However, I have dogs and I am worried about them. Is there a solution that you can recommend to me? We have a pantry and the buggers still get into it as well. Ugh! I appreciate any ideas. Thanks everyone.
    Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

The Diary of an Egyptian Witch | Reading is Love | I Love My Books

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

Re: Ant problems

If you can find the main "Nest" you can use detergent to wipe out the "Nest" I had a nest that was under the driveway at a house I was living at,and I pored detergent and used a hose to finish them. You can also use detergent and water spray to kill them without worrying about harsh chemicals as well. I used a biodegradable one .

- - - Updated - - -

Detergent makes water "Wetter" and it kills the ants and other insects. BTW farmers use detergent to allow water to penetrate their fields much better.

- - - Updated - - -

Read here about wetter water.

- - - Updated - - -

What I was talking about to kill ants.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

Aug 2015
    Religion
    Ecletic pagan.
    Phrase
    This too shall pass.

I had a lot of ants coming from the patio glass door. I used my cleaning solution of vinegar/baking soda and then vacuumed the area. I then laid down ground cinnamon along the entire strip of wall and door. Little buggers haven't been back since.

In the pantry and kitchen it shouldn't be too hard to lay it down along the walls and in the back, etc. I just did a super quick check and cinnamon is okay for dogs. Sometimes just deterring their path for a few days is enough to make them change their food hunting habits, if I remember right.
    “I am Cat and I walk alone and all ways are the same to me.” ~Rudyard Kipling, The Cat Who Walks By Himself

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Sprays don't work well for ants...you need a bait gel that they take back to their colony...once they've laid down a trail to your home, they know where the food is. This is the time of year where they are coming out of dormancy in full force and on the hunt for good food sources. Either that, or obsessive cleaning with things that will neutralize their pheromones--vinegar and baking soda are both good for this, as are citrus oil cleaners. You can also sprinkle cinnamon or chili powder where they are coming in, or along their scent trail. But really, they come where the food is. You have dogs, dogs have food that is generally very easy to get to. All dog food should be in a plastic container, for starters. If you leave food out for them, make sure you clean floor really well with something that will destroy the scent trail. And look for where they are coming in at--most of getting rid of bugs is about preventing them from getting in in the first place. Close up the easy access points and make them work for it. Also look into food grade diatomaceous earth (you can order it on amazon or pick it up at lowes--make sure it is food food grade and not the pool filter kind).
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

Speaking of bugs,I woke up to see one of those "stink" bugs just staring at me from my bedside table. Those little things creep me out,because I have no idea how they get in.
    Once woke to find one sitting on my hand...

Oct 2013
    Religion
    Egyptian Wiccan
    Phrase

Thank you everyone for the help. Definitely going to start putting the ideas into practice. I usually get the huge bags of dog food, but am going to get the smaller bags and put them in a plastic container. I am also going to start vacuuming and mopping the kitchen at least every other day. Thanks again.
    Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

At least you don't have those electronic eating ants like in Texas.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a video about the "Crazy ants"

I would go crazy if I had to deal with ants eating electrical stuff.

Dec 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan/Stregheria

Last spring I had an infestation of ants in my mailbox. I tries cinnamon, etc. to no avail, and finally got some Terro brand gel, put some in there on the supplied little pieces of cardboard, left for a day, never saw another ant. As far as using it inside the house with dogs around, I have no idea. In the pantry, on a shelf where dogs aren't going, should be fine. If it was me, I'd keep the dogs confined elsewhere for a day and let it set out overnight where the ants have been, then take it up and clean the area.

Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Oct 2013
    Religion
    Egyptian Wiccan
    Phrase

Thanks for the advice Hawkfeathers. I'll look into the Terro brand and see if it is okay for pets. Can't confine my dogs unfortunately.
    Anubisa

May 2013
    Religion
    Shamanic Practitioner & Green / Hedge Witch with Hellenic leanings
    Phrase
    Can't never did nothing till it tried!

Quote Originally Posted by anunitu View Post
    Speaking of bugs,I woke up to see one of those "stink" bugs just staring at me from my bedside table. Those little things creep me out,because I have no idea how they get in.
    Once woke to find one sitting on my hand...
    Oh I hate those things. Seem's nothing will get ride of them and if they get excited or scared then they release their scent and hundreds of them then show up. Don't ever remember seeing them years ago but they sure are an issue now where I live. IN that regard almost as bad as the Lady Bugs who swarm and nest in the walls, attics or ground clutter near the houses. Have to use a shopvac or heavier to really suck them up and even that doesn't mean it will work.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!