Have you made a god?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you made a god?

As the title says: Have you made (or discovered) a god, a deity, a spirit, a being of some kind?
    Is there a difference between "creating" a god by yourself versus submitting to an already existing idea of a deity? (We still do interpret deities through our own lenses. I wonder if there really is a big difference, other than the cultural aspects of already existing gods.)

I find this interesting because pagans are often accused for believing in "what they want to believe" (which could and probably has been a thread of its own already) and this idea of having a 'made-up god' is certainly something that would sound a bit odd to people who are used to thinking that a god is something external, dictated by a religious scripture and can't be 'made' or 'changed'.
    I admit it, "creating a god" sounds odd to me, but it's an interesting phenomenon and I have no idea how popular it is amongst pagans. There seems to be a tendency to interpret old gods in new ways, rather than finding completely new ones.

How does it happen? Do people put effort in creating a deity that suits their path or are they discovered in meditation or is it something else? Or is a deity a personification of a natural/philosophical phenomenon? (Can we even talk about "made-up gods" in that case?)
    baah.

Re: Have you made a god?

I don't believe I have "created" a god but I have named a god for a specific task. A totally new name for a task without a god simply allows a god to accept that name for that task. One could argue that I may have given life to a thought-form and just call it a god but is the reality of it any different? I don't take the credit for the existence of this deity and I do believe it exists external to me as well as internally. I believe we partner just as I do with other deity who are well known in order to modify reality.
    I suppose that making a name to suit a given attribute just allows an existing deity to accept the new name in its choice to work with you.
    The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
    I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Re: Have you made a god?

I once made a little god out of some leftover clay and named it "Oogoo."

Oogoo was a pleasant little god. It sat on a shelf and didn't bother anybody.

Eventually, I burried Oogoo, along with the remains of a favorite pet cat, hoping to confound future archeologists.
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Working...
      X