Forced chemotherapy? Yay or ixnay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forced chemotherapy? Yay or ixnay?

Teenager who was to forced to undergo chemotherapy by courts reveals that her cancer has RETURNED after she was forced to undergo the grueling treatment against her will

~Cassandra Callender, of Windsor Locks, Connecticut was forced to undergo chemotherapy for her cancer last year

~She revealed on Facebook over the weekend that it had returned and posted a photo of the mass in her lungs
    Callender, who is now 18, said she

~ will begin seeking 'alternative treatments'
    She had refused chemotherapy saying she did not want to poison her body as a minor, but the courts forced her to get treatment
    source

So what say you on this? As the article reads, most states have a mature minors' doctrine allowing minors to make their own medical decisions. But I guess because she ran away, they figured she's acting just like a normal minor and not a 'mature' minor. I kind of feel as if she's only now able to make her own decisions on the rest of her medical care and alternative medical routes mainly because they gave her the chemotherapy in the first place.

In essence, she's alive enough to complain and sorta comes off as ungrateful for the privilege the living have..to complain about their life.

Your views?
    Satan is my spirit animal

Re: Forced chemotherapy? Yay or ixnay?

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
    source

So what say you on this? As the article reads, most states have a mature minors' doctrine allowing minors to make their own medical decisions. But I guess because she ran away, they figured she's acting just like a normal minor and not a 'mature' minor. I kind of feel as if she's only now able to make her own decisions on the rest of her medical care and alternative medical routes mainly because they gave her the chemotherapy in the first place.

In essence, she's alive enough to complain and sorta comes off as ungrateful for the privilege the living have..to complain about their life.

Your views?
    If she didn't want treatment they shouldn't have forced her. If she wants to try "alternative treatment" while she's already sick as hell they should let her. It'll be her with the high risk of dying.
    "Turn, and look in the mirror. What do you see?" Her own brown eyes stared back at her until she was nothing but a blur.

"I see you. Red lipstick spread perfectly over your lush mouth, brown eyes that hold centuries upon centuries of secrets. A face made to entice even the most celibate of men and women alike. A red dress that sways and moves with your body, making you a temptation like no other."

Comment

Oh she can try any treatment now. They kept her alive long enough to be an adult and make her own decisions. Thanks government for making me live.

Comment

"Chemotherapy successfully removed my cancer. It came back. Obviously chemotherapy is poison. I will now follow the alternative and herbal healing page my friend shared on Facebook. "

On whether minors should be forced to undergo medical treatment, I don't know. Obviously it is a grey area and situational. There probably isn't a right answer. Either way someone's Rights, freedoms, and potentially deadly psuedo-scientific beliefs are going to be violated.

One situation where I would think the State should intervene if is the parent is refusing life saving treatment for the child, for whatever reason.
        Last edited by ThePaganMafia; 18 Apr 2016, 18:25.

Comment

I didn't answer your actual question. No forcing of the treatment
          "Turn, and look in the mirror. What do you see?" Her own brown eyes stared back at her until she was nothing but a blur.

"I see you. Red lipstick spread perfectly over your lush mouth, brown eyes that hold centuries upon centuries of secrets. A face made to entice even the most celibate of men and women alike. A red dress that sways and moves with your body, making you a temptation like no other."

Comment

I'm hate to say this but I believe that everybody have a right to refuse chemotherapy and no court or governament shouldn't forced the person against their will to use treatment. If she want to continue to live life and let the cancer takes it course I say let her be. And I know I'm going to get a lot of hate on this but I don't care. I say let live without treatment.

Comment

Now? She's 18 and its her life or death.

Last year when the issue was forced...

So here's my issue with this case. The article says the girl and her mother disagreed. It goes on to say that DCF removed the child from her home to compel treatment. It does not mention a father figure with custody pushing the issue. I can take this one of two ways,

1) The article is bordering on flat-out lying with all the details it's omitting and we have a case where one parent argued for while the other parent and the child argued against culminating in DCF going for.

or

2) DCF just flat-out overruled both the minor and her legal guardian.

I'm going to presume that we're dealing with scenario 2 unless evidence to the contrary is presented. I don't necessarily take issue with courts overruling minors on medical care though I think doing so when the minor is 17 might be pushing it. I don't take issue with court's overruling parents on medical care for the minor, especially if the minor is in favor of care. I have much larger issues when a court tells a minor and the minor's legal guardian who are unified in opposition that care will be provided anyway. I won't say it should never happen but I think the bar to get over before doing so should be extremely high and I'm somewhat skeptical of this particular decision.

TL;DR, I think it's a matter best decided case by case and I have real issues with either this article or this case.
              "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
              ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Ah, the good old beneficence vs. autonomy dilemma...this totally could have come from the pages of Beauchamp and Childress' Principles of Biomedical Ethics.

Should someone with the legal age that lacks both the maturity and knowledge to make a fully informed decision, be allowed to ultimately kill herself with her ill-conceived misinformation?
                Last edited by thalassa; 19 Apr 2016, 03:39.
                “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
                ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
                ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                sigpic

Comment

As someone who has gone through chemo as a teen and now as a young adult able to make my own choices it comes down to several factors when considering treatment. Mainly....

1.) life expectancy with or without treatment due to type of cancer
                  2.) are the effects of the treatment worth it based on #1

the first time I was in no condition to have this consideration, I was too sick to make a choice in the beginning and a minor. After starting chemo the first time around, during I wanted it to stop and I wanted to die because the effects were that bad especially after having multiple surgeries. Sometimes it's just easier to give up than to suffer through it. I made it through, got better even with the knowledge my type is reoccurring. Now as an adult and going through it again, be it with a better type of chemo than the first time, the effects are still horrible. I get sick and can't eat or sometimes move for days, I can't drink or even touch ANYTHING cold or my skin turns to fire for hours, I have to avoid sunlight after treatment. Even with all of that its my sheer will that allows me to continue with life and treatment. But that's me. I have goals to reach before my time comes and I'm determined. Not everyone is like me and can do that.

That all being said, sometimes with some people the struggle is not worth the extra years of life whether you are a minor or an adult. Your sense of mortality at any age depends on your knowledge of your potential to surpass such a horrible disease and your physical and mental strength. If a minor is given all the knowledge and understands the risks with or without treatment who is anyone to tell them they must do or die? Unless you are that person you haven't the right.

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                    Ah, the good old beneficence vs. autonomy dilemma...this totally could have come from the pages of Beauchamp and Childress' Principles of Biomedical Ethics.

Should someone with the legal age that lacks both the maturity and knowledge to make a fully informed decision, be allowed to ultimately kill herself with her ill-conceived misinformation?
                    Yes. But she wasn't at legal age at the time.
                    Though both her and her mother agreed to alternative treatment together.
                    This isn't about her rights now. She's got a right to rot away with her dumb ass all she wants and eat beet root and drink mushroom juice.

But if the kid was 3 and couldn't agree/disagree with her parents, does the state have the right to force treatment? We seem to think so when the parent does it for their own religious whacko reason as in medicine in the devil etc etc.

Now the kid is 10. And the kid 'agrees' with the parents to no mainstream treatment. Is the kid capable of making this decision?

But the kid was 17 and had run a way and was deemed immature and not a mature minor.

I have no hard opinion. I'm just wondering where the line is.

Comment

Yes. But she wasn't at legal age at the time.
                      Though both her and her mother agreed to alternative treatment together.
                      This isn't about her rights now. She's got a right to rot away with her dumb ass all she wants and eat beet root and drink mushroom juice.

But if the kid was 3 and couldn't agree/disagree with her parents, does the state have the right to force treatment? We seem to think so when the parent does it for their own religious whacko reason as in medicine in the devil etc etc.

Now the kid is 10. And the kid 'agrees' with the parents to no mainstream treatment. Is the kid capable of making this decision?

But the kid was 17 and had run a way and was deemed immature and not a mature minor.

I understand that the child (let say 5 or 6 years old) doesn't have any right to choose to refused treatment because the courts safety. But this is a teenager we're talking about. I'm sorry but I think that the teenager is old enough to make her own decision.

Comment

Do you want a government or an agency of the government to make life and death decisions for you or are you willing to take the responsibility of your own decisions?
                        As a minor a person is aided in decision making by the parent or legal guardian. I don't find any place in the constitution (the law of the land) that gives the government that power.
                        The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
                        I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

I might wonder if the Gov would have the right to tell me I should eat meat,if even as a child I decide to only eat vegies because the Gov believes meat is good for me,vs just vegies?
                          also should the Gov be able to tell me I MUST drink milk,even if I dislike Milk?

- - - Updated - - -

Slippery slope and all there.
                          MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                          NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                          don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                          http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

There isn't a line...which is why it's considered a classic ethical dilemma. Which admittedly doesn't help anyone going through it. I worked in oncology, on the radiation side, when I was a corpsman...kids are the patients that will break your heart the most. And they are all different, with different abilities, different levels of understanding, different parents... And just as every child is different, so is every type of cancer--the probability of good outcome for cervical cancer diagnosed in a patient that has annual pap smears is radically different than that of a person diagnosed with stage 4 ovarian cancer or with pancreatic cancer. You can't draw a line that isn't arbitrary--there are too many variables to consider.
                            “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
                            ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
                            ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

sigpic

Comment

When that decision is to pray the appendicitis away, child abuse laws are covered under the promotion of the general welfare purpose for which the Constitution was ordained and established.

Child abuse laws are state laws too. If one actually believed in states rights, then they'd absolutely believe that the state has the right to decide if not getting treatment for a child's treatable condition is or is not legal.

~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X