Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Forced chemotherapy? Yay or ixnay?

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Re: Forced chemotherapy? Yay or ixnay?

A parent wanting their child to have "alternative treatments" is interfering in the rights of that child to live. A parent's rights over their child are not absolute and the government has an invested interest in the livelihood of children AND a right to interfere when the parents is endangering the child. In some states, they place the priority of the child's life over that of the parent (whether its a "religious freedom" issue or not) in other states, they don't. If you claim to support states rights and you don't like it, move.
    Last edited by thalassa; 21 Apr 2016 at 11:03.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Copper Member
    Apr 2014
    Religion
    That one where I can play with live snakes and speak gibberish.

"States rights" is generally code for taking away rights but that is off topic.

A child who's best interests are not being represented by the parent deserves representation by someone who has their best interests in mind. Cases can be ambiguous and controversial at times but I think there is something wrong if we think if is the right of the parent to take a path that will ultimately harm the child. If my kid got cancer and I became stupid enough to try herbal remedies instead of actual treatment I would hope my tax dollars went to work.against my wishes.

In all cases like these someone's going to get hurt, someone's going to feel like their parental rights are violated. But, parental rights only go as far as whats best for the child. If what you are doing is detrimental to the child your parental rights are null.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

If you remember the case of the girl in a coma,legally brain dead...and the fight in the family about taking her off life support..went all the way to the supreme court...Was in the news for years I think.

Here is the story about Terri Schiavo

It is a wiki BTW..case went on from 1990 to 2005.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

Copper Member
    Apr 2014
    Religion
    That one where I can play with live snakes and speak gibberish.

The Terri Schiavo thing was ridicolous. I remember that dominating the news cycle when I was in High School. They dragged her husband through the mud.

Copper Member
    Sep 2015
    Religion
    Arratu - based on Sumer 4500 to 1800BCE

On the one hand forcing someone to endure the hell that comes with chemo therapy is monstrous. On the other hand it has improved the life of some for years after the treatments.
    The sad part is that it fails more often than not with some forms of cancer. Doctors don't know everything, and government and courts know less. I just feel that no agent of government should have the power of life and death over any individual. Abuse always comes from that power.

I am not unbiased here. I have a great friend who has gone through chemo three times and is enjoying life - knowing that his cancer will someday come back. I also lost a 7 year old niece to Leukemia after watching her go through "treatments". She was in remission for two months. When they said they wanted to do another round she told her parents "no". They let her die the way she wanted. That was the only funeral I ever cried at but I would not have forced her to endure that "treatment" again. It was rightly her choice and even at seven she had the right to accept death on her terms. It still hurts. I gotta go.