This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Go Harriet Tubman!

I thought at first you meant Harriet Tubman died in 2005,and did a double take..Ya know I did a google search...silly me.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
      She only recently died (2005 - seems recent to us old farts ) , so she may be considered too recent.
      Perhaps but then i'd go with Harriett Beecher Stowe and Uncle Tom's cabin which many see as an inspiration for the abolitionist and helped cause the conditions for the Civil War. But people will then claim but she's white. Now it seems it's not about honoring women in general but checking two boxes on the EO check list. Look we got both a woman and African American for double bonus points.
      I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

The difference between the two is that one of them honors the white people who worked end slavery, whereas the other honers the people who suffered as slaves who fought to win freedom.

Both are perfectly reasonable, and both should be known, but which gets honored first?
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
          The difference between the two is that one of them honors the white people who worked end slavery, whereas the other honers the people who suffered as slaves who fought to win freedom.

Both are perfectly reasonable, and both should be known, but which gets honored first?
          I don't know. For me it seem's she is being honored strictly due to slavery and not much more. We historically know her more for that than any other aspect of her life. Figure it's always Harriet Tubman and the underground railroad. Yet there were plenty of women who did things that have served mankind across multiple categories that are deserving of honoring. Figure regarding slavery she really didn't do a great deal if you put it in comparison to the totality of events occurring prior to and during that period. One might suggest she's better known due to having better publisher's pushing her story. One would think from the publicity she was the only conductor on the underground railroad and facing dangers during the "trip".
          I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
            I don't know. For me it seem's she is being honored strictly due to slavery and not much more. (Snip) Yet there were plenty of women who did thing One would think from the publicity she was the only conductor on the underground railroad and facing dangers during the "trip".
            Then they are either idiots or ignorant. She not only personally led over 300 enslaved persons to freedom--a large number of them after the Fugitive Slave Act, she was also a spy, nurse, and scout for the Union and an advocate for women's suffrage. She scouted for the Combahee Ferry Raid, and let 150 CTs as either the first or one of the first women leading men into combat in US military history and taking part in freeing another 700+ slaves. And, after the war, along with her support for women's sufferage, she turned her property into a rest home for seniors.

And she did it all despite physical disabilities caused by abuse during her own enslavement.
            “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
            ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
            ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post

Personally I think Harriet Tubman was a poor choice as I think there are women who are more deserving and more relevant to today such as Rosa Parks.
              10 to 1 Rosa Parks would have kissed the feet of Harriet Tubman. I mean think on that.
              Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

ITT: We question the woman who saved 300 slaves more than the guy who owned 300 slaves.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePaganMafia View Post
                  ITT: We question the woman who saved 300 slaves more than the guy who owned 300 slaves.
                  Or to put it another way, we question the woman who threatened slaves at gunpoint more than the man who paid off our national debt.

Plus, America is as dependent on slave labor now as it ever was. We just don't bring the slaves here anymore, and out of sight is out of mind.
                  Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

There are many many many, did I say many, because I mean many women who would have been great candidates to go on our paper money. We picked one. This doesn't mean we can't pick another. So just let her be. Where does it say us women just get one? Jesus Christ people. It's 2016.

Comment

Women and black people gotta be vetted ten times harder before they go on anything.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePaganMafia View Post
                        Women and black people gotta be vetted ten times harder before they go on anything.
                        Except for basketball teams, and most sports for that matter. It's more than ten to one in their favor for both groups there.
                        Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

But don't put 'em on the money though!

Comment

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
                            Except for basketball teams, and most sports for that matter. It's more than ten to one in their favor for both groups there.
                            What population of black americans are in official sports teams?
                            I mean come on now.
                            Stop effing up my thread with this utter nonsense.

Jews are great at making matza balls so they didn't have life as bad as we thought.
                            Ug.

Ever wonder WHY black americans end up trying to pursue sports teams?

Because America is racist.

I said it.

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                              What population of black americans are in official sports teams?
                              The nba is almost seventy-five percent black and they have an average salary of about four million dollars.

Also, America is one of the most culturally and racially accepting places in the world.

Racism is not an American problem, it's a human problem and one that is increasingly going away as we are becoming more educated and globally connected.

Comment

If we are one of the most accepting countries in the world I guess we can quit crying about Harriet Tubman being on some paper then.

Glad that's over.

Comment

Working...
                                X