Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coler me supprised,Lard is now good for you.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coler me supprised,Lard is now good for you.

here be the story.

"Kummer proposed that we bring back lard, "the great misunderstood fat." Lard, he cheerfully reported, contains just 40 percent saturated fat (compared with nearly 60 percent for butter). Its level of monounsaturated fat"

"What did I know about lard? Bupkes. To my generation, the phrase deep fried in pure lard is shorthand for morbid obesity. Born in the '60s and raised in New England, I had consumed as much lard as a resident of Mecca."

Wow,who knew...
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Re: Coler me supprised,Lard is now good for you.

Because "Better Living Through Chemistry", the mantra of the early 1960's, wasn't a great thing after all. I mean, yes, we need to be able to produce enough food for people, and get it to them, but let's examine the process. Butter, for example, needs cows and labor. Margarine needs labor but smaller spaces and....da da da daaaa - less MONEY. The pot of corporate greed's been stirring for aeons and it's gone into warp drive in America since WWll. Add to this the general population's determination to reproduce at will regardless of ability to feed the offspring, and you have a recipe for ...well, for powdered cheese, aspartame, and partially hydrgenated whatchamacallits.

Now people are realizing that ol' Ma Nature had it right all along. Duh.
    sigpic
    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Woody Allen predicts the future!

Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Wow! I'm going to get a tub and eat it. Nah. I'm not a huge fan of lard. You typically find experts saying one day that something is bad for you then the next it is good. So I am sort of not surprised at this. I still would not overdo it with the lard.
        Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

I think it is part of the whole artisional(sp) thing...

- - - Updated - - -

Lets all use cow flops for facial beauty or something.(Actually,I read,they do use for facials and stuff in India.)

Cow dung in India.

India use cow urine in cosmetics.

Can't make that up..

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Lard actually does make significantly better crusts than butter, man, Alton Brown has never done wrong by me.

If you are going to be cooking with fat, why not use lard or tallow on occasion? The store bought stuff is hydrogenated, but if you render your own that's not a problem.

Now excuse me while I whip up (literally) some 100% dark meat chicken nuggets. (which will be roasted) ::
            Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Personally, I've never bought lard, but I know I've eaten stuff that was cooked in it/made with it. My mother used to buy Nucoa brand margarine, (we called it "oleo"), but once I got a taste of real butter that was that!
              sigpic

Comment

My family, and now I, have always made pastry with half lard, half cold butter. If not lard, then beef dripping (which I think is the same as tallow).

Yes, it does make the best pastry.

I stopped listening to the "this is healthy, but this isn't any more." brigade. We can all use a bit of wisdom combined with common sense and finally a little knowledge (you can eat, but should avoid, many vegetable fats due to their Omega 3:6 ratio, but all animal fats are good in this sense) that requires science. Unfortunately, these studies are often very focused, to the point of missing the longer game, hence they get superseded quite quickly.

I use common sense, personally, and with it I have managed to lose over a stone in weight since January (I have active work now), whereas before, I knew but didn't care too much. I didn't have to tweak my diet much. I just don't have very sweet desserts after dinner much at all and I only eat a bit of dark chocolate. Knowing that my body fat % is down over 10 and my health is generally better more than makes up the "feel good factor" that crappy food can offer.

So, if you're not vegetarian/vegan, just use a bit of common sense combined with learning what these fats actually do and you should be fine. Don't put too much stock into the conclusion that we "should" do this or "shouldn't" do that, because not only is it often blinkered, but it's a generalization and may not even apply to you.
                I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
                Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
                But that day you know I left my money
                And I thought of you only
                All that copper glowing fine

Comment

I'm not surprised. People still eat it here and aren't any more obese or unhealthy than most other rich European countries. Still, when it comes down to it, fat is fat. It might not be bad for you and small amounts can be beneficial, but eating lots of it is still a terrible idea.

Lard makes the best pie crusts. Germans only use shortening for deep frying, so we can't buy soft shortening for pastries here. It's either butter or lard. Both work well, but have very different flavours. I think the lard pastry is flakier, though.

Edit: looks like half the forum already knows that lard is the best pastry fat!

Comment

It's really down to portion size I suspect. We used to fry chips (fries??) in lard and they were phenomenal, but we only had a few each because they too time to cook and prepare. And pies etc were much smaller than now. Sponge cakes are routinely made in 8 and 9 inch tins, but years ago they were all 6 inch tins. (Reading out old cookery books is a good source).
                    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

I have a cereal bowl from my college cafeteria (late 1970's) and it's much smaller than one you'd normally see today. Portion sizes have def. changed a lot.
                      sigpic

Comment

Ever eaten a tamale?
                        Yup. Lard.
                        yummers!
                        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Have had home made tamales the ones wrapped in corn husks..from my childhood..neighborhood thing back in the projects.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Working...
                          X