Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is witchcraft like making soup or like making a souffle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is witchcraft like making soup or like making a souffle?

So, the other topic I just started (about proper spelling, etc ensuring proper magic), along with something else I just read made me wonder if other people think witchcraft is more like making soup (or an omelette) where substitution, innovation, improvization, etc can be really yummy, or like getting the recipe for a souffle wrong and splat, it all falls flat?
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Re: Is witchcraft like making soup or like making a souffle?

Not being a cook, I'm gonna say it's close to programming. There is no specific right way. Lots of methods can reach a given goal. There are, however, plenty of wrong ways that either fail, have messy side effects or both.
    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I think its working on the culinary side. On the culinary side you can taste and adjust and find what works for you. Everyone is different and our taste buds are different but if we all reach the same end product.. a composed plate and it tastes good it doesn't matter. Where as if we work pastry or a bake shop there is no room for changes. You must follow the recipe precisely. Though great things have come from mistakes ciabatta happens to be of those things most time disaster follows, and I don't think that fits witchcraft at all. There is definitely a beauty to having exact measurements and steps that takes patience and drive to follow bu there is also something wondrous about throwing a whole bunch of stuff into a pot and seeing what comes out of it.

*** you really made me happy with your food analogy
      "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

In some ways I start thinking about the Macbeth witches thing.

Here it be.

"Double, double toil and trouble;
        Fire burn, and cauldron bubble."
        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I think soup. There isn't one right way to do anything. I might really not like onions, so I won't put them in my soup, and that will make it taste better to me. It's not an exact science, for me it's always the intent behind it that matters, I could really boil it down to that. Don't even need to make soup, you can't go wrong with a glass of water, sometimes you're just hungry and soup feels better.
          You remind me of the babe
          What babe?
          The babe with the power
          What power?
          The Power of voodoo
          Who do?
          You do!
          Do what?
          Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

More like curry. Bung it all in and the curry powder will cover up most things!
            www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
              More like curry. Bung it all in and the curry powder will cover up most things!
              But too much tumeric, and you done effed it.

Witchcraft is like soup. Take what you got in the fridge, throw it in a pot, add some salt and some herbs, and bang, you have witchcraft. Or soup. Whatever.

Mostly art.

Comment

Soup
                But it could have a case of botulism if you are a bad cook.
                Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

One pill makes you larger,the other one makes you small..the ones Mother gives you don't do anything at all....Go ask Alice,I think she would know..chasing rabbits,you know your going to fall....

- - - Updated - - -

"White Rabbit"

It would bring back memory's,if I remembered anything from the 70's
                  MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                  NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                  don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                  http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Depends on the magic. If you want to call Qabbalist intelligence's, I think it is only proper to use Ceremonial techniques, or pray to a Hindu Deity, you should learn at least the basics of Yoga and Hinduism. Basically, if you are calling forth Divine aspects that have a strong history and mythology utilize the methods handed down from tradition the best you can.

On the other hand, if you just want to make some changes, throw in or omit as many ingredients until your desire is fulfilled.

Some Divine aspects seem to be okay with an eclectic approach, others I feel work better under traditional procedures, but that is up to the practitioner and devotee to figure out which way works best for them. For the most part I have noticed as long as you are respectful it doesn't matter how you worship, and they are okay with you playing in other paradigms and with other pantheons because they understand they cannot offer everything you may need. If you are into eclectic magic and are a theist, magic, underworld and warrior-healer Divinities have always been kind to me in my adventures.

Without involving spirits in the mix, mix and match. You will know what does and does not work by the feelings you get while you are setting up your work space guiding you to what to use and what not to use. Sometimes you have to wait until you have cast the spell to see what works and does not work, so I usually stick to the basics - meditation and qigong, sometimes candles and incantations. I keep it simple, because the Universe responds kindly to simple.

Comment

Working...
                    X