Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Women could be headed for the draft, after House committee vote

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
    Mainly the draft came about because we had so MANY places we stayed after WW2...and had to have personal to cover them. and it continued into and through the cold war.
    Part of that was our kind of aggressive stance on world politics,we being one of a few world super powers. After Russia crapped out,we ended up kind of becoming the world police,even if we did not want it.

- - - Updated - - -

The cut off is/was 35 if you wondered.
    Current registration cut-off is 25. I guess they could keep draft eligibility after and I haven't found an explicit number otherwise but keeping draft eligibility for 10 years after registration eligibility would be a little silly...

Of course,

A. The draft has been modified several times over the last century and change.
    B. It's not like the US government hasn't been guilty of blatantly silly and illogical behavior before.
    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Look here.

As of now the cut off age is 45...that really surprised me.
      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Look here.

As of now the cut off age is 45...that really surprised me.
        from your link

The U.S military uses a lottery system to select workers, and those between the ages of 18 and 26 are drafted first. Although specific age requirements are set for enlisting and retiring soldiers, men with specialty skills are drafted up to the maximum age limit of 45 years old. However, this age limit is only applicable to men who have already served and have extensive experience.
        45 may be an option but it appears to have harsh limitations.

Also if it is an option connected to the Selective Service system then someone should inform the Selective Service because they haven't gotten the memo.
        life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

The Selective Service requirements have nothing to do with the age requirements of volunteering.

Comment

Mainly the draft came about because we had so MANY places we stayed after WW2...and had to have personal to cover them. and it continued into and through the cold war.
            Part of that was our kind of aggressive stance on world politics,we being one of a few world super powers. After Russia crapped out,we ended up kind of becoming the world police,even if we did not want it.

- - - Updated - - -

The cut off is/was 35 if you wondered.

- - - Updated - - -

I know this because one guy in the Navy was drafted when he was 34,they were nice enough to put him in the navy. was kinda sad because he had his life all set,good job,and all the things you hit at 30-40. He was a bit pissed at being drafted,but the rules were the rules.
            I'd say the draft has been around since the Civil War for certain in the US, possibly earlier if you look at some of the histories for how men were enlisted for some of the in-between wars after the Rev. War. All eligible men had to fill out draft cards for WWI and WWII which are a great source for genealogical purposes. Regarding it today for Selective Service I think a lot of it is sort of automatically done when you get your drivers license. Want to say it was a box on the form that you checked but might be mistaken on that one.

I think one of the most well known stories of the draft and fighting to avoid serving was Alvin York. Sort of funny when you think he got the Medal of Honor for his service.

Personally I have no issues with having to register for Selective Service. Registration in no way ensures you'll be drafted only that if something should happen a segment of the population is accounted for with regards to how many bodies. Seem to recall during WWII draftee's who were objector's served in many non military roles such as firefighter's in a forestry capacity for instance. Though I admit I am not certain if one is exempt from the registration due to other reasons such as the Amish are exempt from some of the "laws" other citizens have to obey.

If we want true equality then women should be required to submit to the same registration demands that males do. Then have to go through the same hurdles and road blocks to avoid service if they are called up for some reason.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by ThePaganMafia View Post
            The Selective Service requirements have nothing to do with the age requirements of volunteering.
            Most definitely. I think people forget at times that job skills and specialty can also be a factor regardless of whether one is prior military or not. When we brought the battleships back quite a few retired Gunners and such were brought back due to their skill sets. Yet a number of civilians have been brought in many times at higher ranks, both enlisted and officers, due to specific skills sets. It's like during Vietnam Construction Workers came in as high as E7 for enlisted ranks due to specific need for specific skill sets. Think Commander / Lt. Colonel (O5) were the highest officer ranks I heard About.
            I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Much as a lot of people dislike the military,a LOT of innovation came out of it. also the whole space race thing..Atomic energy,survival food,camping equipment,4 wheel drive Jeeps. also the space race was about ICBM's not just going to space.
              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Much as a lot of people dislike the military,a LOT of innovation came out of it. also the whole space race thing..Atomic energy,survival food,camping equipment,4 wheel drive Jeeps. also the space race was about ICBM's not just going to space.
                I think the poem TOMMY truly shows the relationship between the military and the civilian population. Even to the point of separation between the advances made in the pursuit of war and what benefits the world in general. So they embrace the gains while downplaying or detesting the means yet without the means the gains would never have been made.
                I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Working...
                X