Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "Atheist Wiccan"?

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

Re: "Atheist Wiccan"? WTF?

it is the human practice of "Hey,look at me,I am really different,not like all the others that drink coke and wear jeans,I wear kackies and drink 7-up"
    AND,I am VERY special bunny ya know...!really fluffy and stuff.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

Sep 2015
    Religion
    Christian

Athiest Wiccan, I never ever heard of it.

May 2005
    Religion
    Muslim

Re: "Atheist Wiccan"?

I don't know, something about symbols, not literally, metaphors etc.

I'd assume it's like Satanists being atheists at the same time.
    Do they not, then, ponder about the Qur‘an? Had it been from someone other than Allah, they would have found in it much discrepancy. [4:82]

Oct 2010
    Religion
    pagan ,Celtic influences.

Quote Originally Posted by Louisvillian View Post
    It's not that peculiar. Wicca, while being implicitly polytheistic, does not have to be. In Wicca, ritual actions are most important, not specific beliefs.
    Point of fact, a non-theistic viewpoint was rather widespread in Neopaganism, including Wicca, for several decades. Jungian psychology and the expanded concepts of "thoughtforms" and "archetypes" were very popular ideas in the 1960s and 1970s, and continued to have degree of traction into the present.
    pretty much this. the arch type of the God would emphasized instead of an actual deity and the same with the Goddess. when I first got into Paganism this was a concept I was introduced to.
    Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons, For You Are Crunchy And Good With Kethup.

May 2013
    Religion
    Eclectic Wicca
    Aboard the Tardis in the Narnia of Tattoine
    Phrase
    Veni Vidi Vici

I've heard of atheistic Wiccans before but I've never tried to really look into it because of how inconsistent those beliefs are.
    A Happy Little Wiccan

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Because who needs a life when you have a chatroom.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Quote Originally Posted by anunitu View Post
    it is the human practice of "Hey,look at me,I am really different,not like all the others that drink coke and wear jeans,I wear kackies and drink 7-up"

Maybe for some. But I know a number of people that are some form of non-theistic and still do religion because it fulfils a need for them, whether it's a creative/inspiration thing or a cultural/social thing, or whatever... And it's not just Pagans--I have a friend that has been an agnostic Catholic for years.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Radical Pagan
    Phrase
    Get s'more toilet paper.

Quote Originally Posted by anunitu View Post
    AND,I am VERY special bunny ya know...!really fluffy and stuff.
    I admit, that very thought came to my mind as well. I will not assume it of everyone who claims the title, but...yeah, likely, especially in the group in question. Lots of special snowflakes, like the girl who just yesterday claimed to have been descended from one of the "original witches burned in Salem."

Quote Originally Posted by Dumuzi View Post
    I don't know, something about symbols, not literally, metaphors etc.

I'd assume it's like Satanists being atheists at the same time.
    I figured it was something like that. Honestly, while I have much respect for Satanists, I sort of feel the same way about them, especially considering LaVey himself said he wrote the Satanic Bible as a work of satirical fiction. I can understand much better how atheists can believe in magic, though, for magic doesn't require the existence of deities to work. Don't get me wrong, I say every religion was "made up," so none are better than the others in that respect. I would say Satanism is a little more consistent, in that it's basically a rebellion and a promotion of humanism. "Atheist Wicca" would seem, on the surface, to be a way of being a hippy while having a fancy title and little more. Now, if it really does have to do with soft polytheism, then fine. I suppose I just don't trust my fellow human enough to not be in it for the special title, at least not in the group I'm referring to.

By the way, whoever edited the title of this thread and merged my second post with the first, thank you. I admit, I was a little frazzled when I wrote the OP.
    Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
    -Erik Erikson

May 2005
    Religion
    LaVeyan Satanist
    Phrase
    A Clockwork orange

Ok. So I'm an atheist.
    I'm also a LaVeyan satanist.
    Lemme break down how that works

My belief system in the cosmos is that as an atheist. It means ONLY one single little thing. It just means I have no belief in deities. It doesn't tell you my belief of the afterlife (if there is one etc)how the world was created, what life means. It doesn't tell you my moral compass. It doesn't tell you my views on sexuality, my political views or how I feel about anything to be honest. It just says this person has no belief in deity.

This does not give me direction in my life as much as a point in that a way. I navigate (those old folks and people who know me, know I've used this exact phrase over and over. Sorry)the world through the philosophy of LaVeyan satanism. I form my morals and how I feel about the world in general from Satanism. I form how I behave in this world. How I make decisions. How I treat others through Satanism.

atheism cannot give me that. It's not a philosophy in life. It's a label just like theism is a label.

Theism. The belief in a deity.

Well Christians are theists. So are Muslims. And so are theistic Satanists. But they are all very very different aren't they. The label just lets you know off the bat where they stand in relation to their belief in a deity. It doesn't tell you if they eat pork or not or sacrifice babies for the Dark Lord
    Satan is my spirit animal

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Radical Pagan
    Phrase
    Get s'more toilet paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    Ok. So I'm an atheist.
    I'm also a LaVeyan satanist.
    Lemme break down how that works

My belief system in the cosmos is that as an atheist. It means ONLY one single little thing. It just means I have no belief in deities. It doesn't tell you my belief of the afterlife (if there is one etc)how the world was created, what life means. It doesn't tell you my moral compass. It doesn't tell you my views on sexuality, my political views or how I feel about anything to be honest. It just says this person has no belief in deity.

This does not give me direction in my life as much as a point in that a way. I navigate (those old folks and people who know me, know I've used this exact phrase over and over. Sorry)the world through the philosophy of LaVeyan satanism. I form my morals and how I feel about the world in general from Satanism. I form how I behave in this world. How I make decisions. How I treat others through Satanism.

atheism cannot give me that. It's not a philosophy in life. It's a label just like theism is a label.

Theism. The belief in a deity.

Well Christians are theists. So are Muslims. And so are theistic Satanists. But they are all very very different aren't they. The label just lets you know off the bat where they stand in relation to their belief in a deity. It doesn't tell you if they eat pork or not or sacrifice babies for the Dark Lord
    Certainly. I've known for some time that LaVeyans are atheists. I actually have a lot of respect for LaVeyan philosophy, and if I weren't a polytheist, I'd probably be one. As a matter of fact, I don't know whether you remember or not, but some years ago I asked you how, as atheists, that branch of Satanism reconciles lack of belief in a deity with the rituals in the Satanic Bible, and you gave me an illuminating response.

I would like to say that I don't judge other people's morals or beliefs based on their religion, or lack thereof. I'm just as capable of agreeing or disagreeing on any issue with an atheist as I am a theist, as capable of such with a Pagan, a Christian, a Jew, a Muslim, a Buddhist, a Satanist, or any other persuasion. I believe that religion is/can be a very good thing, no matter which one it is, so long as it's used in a healthy manner that promotes growth and harmony. An atheist (in the strictest sense) with no spiritual standpoint (let's say they're basically a humanist) is just as capable of being harmonious and moral.

As far as the issue I initially brought up, I suppose one might call me old-fashioned. Maybe I sometimes get too strict when it comes to semantics.

At any rate, I thank you for your response.
    Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
    -Erik Erikson

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

Really,in a very deep sense,a question that would be very hard to answer,BUT would give serious insight to the human condition is just why we ponder gods and demons. What part of the human psyche pushes us to seek after the spiritual and follow any beliefs?

The Program on National Geographic with Morgan Freeman is really intresting. Not sure if it will hit on Pagan Beliefs,but one can hope.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was