This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Atheist Wiccan"?

Did they mention how this trait could possibly advance evolution, considering communication is vital to such? I may have to scour the 'net to find that program since I don't have cable.
    Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
    -Erik Erikson

Comment

I tried youtube,they have bits and pieces. One other one is Crash course.

They do many interesting things,the brain being on I loved.

Here is one on psychology,done in a funny style.

You can follow the video back to youtube or search for crash course.

- - - Updated - - -

It is a whole series,and a very interesting watch.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is their youtube page with all their videos.
      At Crash Course, we believe that high-quality educational videos should be available to everyone for free! Subscribe for weekly videos from our current courses! The Crash Course team has produced more than 45 courses on a wide variety of subjects, including organic chemistry, literature, world history, biology, philosophy, theater, ecology, and many more! We also recently teamed up with Arizona State University to bring you more courses on the Study Hall channel. Help support Crash Course at Patreon.com/CrashCourse.
      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Cool, thanks.
        Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
        -Erik Erikson

Comment

You may find yourself drawn in by all their "Learning" because it is entertaining and keeps your attention. They do physics,math,philosophy,economics and much more,and it is FUN learning.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Indeed. I am somewhat familiar with Crash Course because I had a science professor a few years ago who used it in the classroom. So far it's been a fun refresher...I actually was a psychology major for a short time, though that was a good seven years ago.
            -Erik Erikson

Comment

No no. Nothing is wrong with your views. I'm just saying that's why us atheists pop up in threads like this. Just to make sure misconceptions are cleared up.

You cool. You cool.
              Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Thank you for clearing that up. It really bothers me when people think I'm intolerant or whatever when I'm far from it. Same as when women think I'm sexist (usually for some stupid reason, like I was their boss and I made them work), when I'm so not.
                -Erik Erikson

Comment

Originally posted by Clive View Post
                  Thank you for clearing that up. It really bothers me when people think I'm intolerant or whatever when I'm far from it. Same as when women think I'm sexist (usually for some stupid reason, like I was their boss and I made them work), when I'm so not.
                  Some guy on the metro called my 7 year old racist because he asked the guy's girlfriend if she was from China--she was wearing an obviously Chinese influenced outfit with Chinese motifs. The girlfriend was, I assume, biracial, which is a designation that a 7 year old could care less about...he just liked her dragon.

My point is 1) people assume meanings from words that don't exist all the time on the basis of their own biases and perceptions which may or may not be flawed, 2) people are frequently assholes or perceived to be asshole on the basis of that understanding or misunderstanding, and 3) never accuse a child of something they don't understand and call them a name in front of their mother on the metro
                  “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
                  ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
                  ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

Oh, definitely. People have this funny way of making snap judgements whenever they are not warranted. I find this idea that if you are not blind and notice someone's ethnicity and are interested in their culture, you are racist particularly amusing. And accusing a small child of being racist for being interested in someone's attire? Now that's funny. Let's not be open-minded and interested in other cultures, let's shut them down!
                    -Erik Erikson

Comment

This is a growing trend,and while the ones that react this way believe it is advancing a post racial world,in fact it is bringing out more racial anger in some people. If I have some physical issue(say club foot,or odd hand thing) and you inquire about it,that is in no way an attack. If one is so very thin skinned about things,the bias is more internal on the part of the person with the physical trait.(defensive)

- - - Updated - - -

There is also the changing terms for different racial groups..I think Asian is now the preferred term. Now I grew up with the term Oriental,that is now viewed as a racial slur,but growing up it stuck,and at times comes out. I have been chastised for using the term because I am considered a racist. If I want you to address me as Robert instead of Bob,you must make it VERY clear far and wide that bob is not acceptable. Going off on people who do not even know you but were told your name was Bob,you can explain but not go all a**hat on people.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

I know, it's really weird, and sometimes misguided, like that black lady who accosted the white man who wore dreadlocks, shrieking at him that he was appropriating "her" culture, apparently not realizing just how dubious her claim was.

Apparently, the unwritten rule these days is that "Asian" refers to people, "Oriental" refers to objects like rugs. I'm not sure why "Oriental" became a bad word, considering such people originated in the Orient.

Why so many people go from zero to seventy in two seconds when faced with something they find offensive is beyond me. With such people, there is no room for compassion or consideration that the other person may have had no idea what they were saying. It reminds me of this British-Arab comedian who related a story about when he made the mistake of referring to a group of black guys as "Boy," not realizing the implication. It seems Whoopi Goldberg pulled him aside and explained that black men take offense to being called "boy" because that's how American slave owners used to refer to their slaves. It really is that simple, just explain your beef without being a douche about it.
                        -Erik Erikson

Comment

I read about why Oriental is bad,because it is an english(I think) thing..oriental and Occidental were not Asian terms,and so became a reminder of the Western imperialism,where they just came and took over a country(Like India). Even the term "Orient" was english in origin.

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot the link,so here.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

I see, that makes sense.
                            -Erik Erikson

Comment

It definitely gets confusing. It's OK to call while men "old boys" in the south but not up north, and never for blacks, and some women don't like to be called girls, and some spell it womyn, and the N word is OK between blacks (who used to be colored, and negro before that) and it's OK for an Italian comedian to say dago or wop, but not a Polish one, and we went from oriental/occidental to asian/caucasian, "and so on and so on and scooby dooby doo ooh sha sha we got to live together".

sigpic
                              Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

It would be so easy to just call people 'people'.

But no. Some find even that offensive.
                                baah.

Comment

Working...
                                X