X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Atheist Wiccan"?

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
    It definitely gets confusing. It's OK to call while men "old boys" in the south but not up north, and never for blacks, and some women don't like to be called girls, and some spell it womyn, and the N word is OK between blacks (who used to be colored, and negro before that) and it's OK for an Italian comedian to say dago or wop, but not a Polish one, and we went from oriental/occidental to asian/caucasian, "and so on and so on and scooby dooby doo ooh sha sha we got to live together".

Hawk my dear lady...I think you have been hanging around me to long...the whole use youtube vid as an example is my stick...

It might catch on,and then we would become interweb super stars...
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Haha!! I've been saying "so on and so on and scooby dooby doo" for so long I forgot it was from a song!
      sigpic
      Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Showing our age kiddo....Man I miss the 70's,at least the parts I remember...

- - - Updated - - -

He is Back...so cute....

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

The funniest part of it all to me is how offended people get over people being offended. I'm offended that people dare be offended. I'm out outraged that they dare be outraged.

The vicious circle continues.

Comment

Passes out the "Chill pills"...everybody just settle down and find your Mellow...

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Although it is "politically incorrect" to use "offensive language" or terminology more people seem to become offended. It is a truth that people are totally for the way they respond to a spoken word. We have the ability, although we don't always use it, to not be offended even when directly targeted by language.
              I believe it is more common because it is being fed by politics and media more than ever.
              The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
              I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Originally posted by DragonsFriend View Post
                Although it is "politically incorrect" to use "offensive language" or terminology more people seem to become offended. It is a truth that people are totally for the way they respond to a spoken word. We have the ability, although we don't always use it, to not be offended even when directly targeted by language.
                I believe it is more common because it is being fed by politics and media more than ever.
                I will agree with that. Personally, I believe that political correctness is not compatible with liberty. If someone can tell you what you can and cannot say, then you are not truly free. Do I advocate hatred, bigotry, and ignorance? No. But I also don't believe that it's right to assault, incarcerate, or murder someone because they said something that hurt your feelings. Until the bigot starts getting violent or harasses you, they're allowed to think and say whatever they damn well please.

I realize that in the minds of some today, I am a white man and therefore have no right to say what I just said. Well, tough shit. I'm still an American and I will exercise my First Amendment rights. I'm also gay and a Pagan, but I don't get bent out of shape every time somebody says faggot or froths at the mouth about going to hell. You probably can't tell from my tone right now, but I'm far more laid back than that, haha.
                Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
                -Erik Erikson

Comment

You can call people 'people'. Just don't put a 'you' in front of it. Then you in trouuuuble.
                  Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Back on topic, peeps... though if you want to continue the PC discussion let me know and I'll split it off and move it for you.

As for the OP... a traditional Wiccan can correct me if I'm wrong, but technically, Wicca (as opposed to neo-Wicca) was never explicitly theistic and could legitimately be interpreted in a non-theistic manner (symbols, archetypes, manifestations of personal power etc etc). That means we could argue that 'Atheist Wicca' is less of a misuse of a label than 'Seax Wicca' or 'Dianic Wicca' or 'Faerie Wicca' or whatever other neo-Wiccan flavour you want to poke a stick at.

Labels evolve with common usage. We may not necessarily agree with that, but the reality is that 'Wicca' no longer means what it once did. Those of us who differentiate between 'Wicca' and 'neo-Wicca' are getting fewer and further between, and the entire discussion is becoming less and less relevant as the list of neo-Wiccan flavours grows. Personally, I actually think that 'Atheist Wiccan' is intellectually more honest and less appropriative than some other neo-Wiccan traditions out there. But maybe that's just me. (We need a shrugging smiley).

Comment

Wicca began in the early 1950s and was a goddess based practice. Part of the mystery of the three primary forms of Wicca is the names of deity which they use. I don't know what you are calling "neo-Wicca" but if you read the first two chapters of "Bucky's big blue book" there is a most accurate history of Wicca to be found. (Buckland's complete Book of Witchctaft)
                      Anyone can put a label on anything. They can call their practice anything they want but it can be confusing when they use a name that is already associated with a particular practice. I know that you can be a practicing Jew and be atheist from discussions I have had with Rabbis so how different is any other religion. The Jew only has to follow the law of the religion to be a good Jew. What is required to be Wiccan? In the latter part of the last century one had to be Gardnerian, Saxon or Alexandrian to be a Wiccan. You had to be initiated into one of the three to be "Wicca". Today there are as many practices that call themselves Wiccan as there are "stars in the skies" and very few have been initiated or done more than read the published books on the subject. The BTW do not consider any but the first three as Wiccan and the elders that I have met are very vocal about it.
                      The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.

Comment

Sounds like the Christians who claim that Catholics aren't Christians...

It is true that anybody can call themselves anything they want to. It is also true that anybody can say somebody isn't what they call themselves. Everybody wants to be on the inside, so they have to make sure they have an outside to put others into...

Truth is - what lives, changes.

Humans are a goofy bowl of noodles
                        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

The one thing I have always found troubling at least for me is the "Dogma" that seems to pervade many paths,not just Abrahamic religions.
                          To me a spiritual path should be a path of growth,always evolving into new and different understanding.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

I guess you can say you revere nature, etc., without believing in an actual God/Goddess/etc., it's all about being individual and eclectic. And people who DO belong to a larger, more organized group will reject that person's belief, even if it goes against some of their core principles to do so. We seem to like to categorize everything, physical, spiritual, etc. We have food groups, economic classes, categories of everything under the sun! It's PC to be respectful to all, but sometimes it's impossible when the paradigms seem to collide.

Some fallen-away Christians behave much as Jesus asked people to, yet they don't believe he's the son of God. So are they atheist Christians? It gets a little mind-boggling.
                            sigpic
                            Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Can you actually practice Wicca without a deity involved? Most of the religion is based in the belief of goddess and the cycle of regeneration through the image of the gods who die semiannually and are replaced by their son who is the reincarnation of their father. (that is purely my understanding and I have no actual experience with Wicca outside of a few public rituals. Isn't it about the same as calling oneself non-pantheistic Greek or Egyptian practitioner?

Comment

Originally posted by DragonsFriend View Post
                                ...through the image* of the gods who die semiannually and are replaced by their son who is the reincarnation of their father...
                                (*emphasis added)

This is, I would imagine, what an Atheist Wiccan would do - use the image for the symbolic/mental/emotional value, but not take it as literally being true.

Personally, I'd suggest that it makes a heck of a lot more sense as symbolic imagery than it does as a description of reality...
                                Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Working...
                                X