This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ONLY AUTHORIZED ELECTION NEWS THREAD--no debating allowed

Why? Because it is supposed to be impartial - they don't work for YOU.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b06f35cb700104
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Re: Cruz is anti-SCOTUS

Cruz is the same brainiac who'd like to pull

I'm pretty sure he fails to comprehend why Justices are so difficult to remove. Fortunately for the rest of us, a man who is currently losing a party primary is gonna have a hell of a time getting an amendment to the Constitution passed.
    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

You may notice that this thread looks a bit different.

That is because it has received a face-lift from the off-topicness, bad manners, and all-around ***hattery.

Either engage in civil discourse or GO AWAY.

Anyone that cannot manage that will have their access to this thread revoked.
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

Not going to comment on Cruz or other candidates. There is a whole lot of crazy out there this election season..little about local races though,and those are also important.
        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

What I thought was most telling was, when asked a direct question by a gay Republican about what Cruz would do to protect his and his husband's marriage, Cruz rambled on about the first sixth of the First Amendment without actually answering the question.

Cruz seems to love that bit of the Constitution.

Then, when forced back to the actual question asked, he suggested that the Supreme Court isn't qualified to make a decision about constitutionality because they do not owe their continued office-holding to a particular political agenda.

Did he miss the civics lesson where it was explained that that's the whole point of appointing the Supreme's for life????

Such a fundamental part of the American theory of government, and a candidate for president doesn't get it?
          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
            What I thought was most telling was, when asked a direct question by a gay Republican about what Cruz would do to protect his and his husband's marriage, Cruz rambled on about the first sixth of the First Amendment without actually answering the question.

Cruz seems to love that bit of the Constitution.

Then, when forced back to the actual question asked, he suggested that the Supreme Court isn't qualified to make a decision about constitutionality because they do not owe their continued office-holding to a particular political agenda.

Did he miss the civics lesson where it was explained that that's the whole point of appointing the Supreme's for life????

Such a fundamental part of the American theory of government, and a candidate for president doesn't get it?
            I'm not terribly surprised that one (or more) of the candidates don't get it. Most of your average citizenry don't get it (make that #101 on the list of things my 3rd grader knows that my neighbor doesn't)... And while one would hope they could be held to higher expectations, you need to have a basic understanding of what those expectations should be in the first place.

Many people (particularly so-called Constitutionalists) have a terrible understanding of how living documents work--they are no better than fundy Biblical literalists.
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

If more citizens knew this kind of stuff there'd be fewer politicians able to get away with junk.

Or maybe not.

Maybe people just don't like freedom and dignity these days.

Comment

Yeah, but where are they going to learn it? Schools don't get enough funding and society doesn't value it.
                sigpic

Comment

I wouldn't necessarily object to shorter supreme court terms as long as

A. They are still relatively long (minimum of 10 years)
                  B. They only get one term.

Once you start tying their position to popularity, you're doing it wrong.
                  life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Comment

It is difficult to find a person(Judge) that can maintain neutrality in their judgments..but a person with enough integrity and honor can be just in their findings.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                      It is difficult to find a person(Judge) that can maintain neutrality in their judgments..but a person with enough integrity and honor can be just in their findings.
                      There's actually two problems that go on at the same time -

First, you're right. Everybody has built in biases, and, while it is possible to overcome them, one has to first become aware of them. This is why we needed a women's suffragette movement before women got to vote. The bias against women was so prevalent that most people just didn't question it.

The second problem is that the Constitution, as Thalassa said, is a LIVING document. The country's founders were better in their dreaming than they were in their life - which allowed them to talk about freedom while still holding slaves. We need to move in the direction of their dreams, not emulate their faults... So the Constitution sometimes needs amending.

Along with this, the original framers were not particularly great wizards for whom the future held no mysteries, despite what yo may sometimes hear. They could not, and did not predict many of the changes that would take place in our society in the following 220 years. The upshot of their great fault of failing to be infallible is that there are things not mentioned in the Constitution that have become of major importance today. The judges need to interpret the Constitution in these cases - but they can't go by the "letter of the law" because their IS no letter of the law.

When you add one and two together you do not always make people happy, but as long as you get three-ish, things will be OK.

Comment

Among other things, letter of the law, would I'm relatively sure, require the Army to eat the Air Force...

Whether that's a good thing might be open to debate...

Comment

All the whining about the rules in the GOP..and a tiny bit in the DNC I watched a piece on the news that mentioned these party groups are PRIVATE groups,and since they only nominate someone to run in their name,they can change the rules when ever they want. The whole people voting is more to allow the public to feel involved in the choice.

The general election is a whole other matter. That is by and for the American voters. In a technical way,the GOP,and the DNC could just pick who ever they want to run..no official government involvement in picking their candidate,except the rules as to being qualified(For Prez,being at least 35,citizen, and like that) I guess that means I can't run my pet turtle..

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

ONLY AUTHORIZED ELECTION NEWS THREAD--no debating allowed

You most likely know about the Koch brothers,and their republican backing.
                            Now Charles Koch has said this.

"Conservative billionaire Charles Koch says that it's possible that he could support Hillary Clinton for president over any of the GOP presidential candidates.

In an interview in Kansas that aired Sunday on ABC's "This Week," Koch was asked if it's possible for another Clinton to be better than another Republican after he said President Bill Clinton "in some ways" was better than President George W. Bush."

Not sure an endorsement for Hillary from him is a positive.

This election year is so full of surprises.

Buckle up kids,it is going to be a bumpy ride.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Re: Charles Koch says Hillary Clinton might be better than GOP candidates

He's not wrong. I would take a Clinton over an orange child and the theocrat no one can stand.

Comment

Working...
                              X