Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your Personal WotY?

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
    I've been working on keeping the dates, but changing the symbolism.

We've started celebrating two sets of holidays--solar holidays (solstices and equinoxes) and seasonal holidays (cross-quarter days). The solar holidays correspond with the relationship between the Sun and the Earth as a life-cycle (Baby Sun King, Boy King, etc) and cross-quarter days as a reflection of the local bioregion...I'm still working this one out, since we just moved...
    I like this idea! I've been thinking about keeping a note of the changes I observe over the course of a year, but never get round to starting. I might try to pull my finger out and look for key moments that fall near the sabbat dates. I've noticed the sycamore have already started dropping their helicopters. I'm not actually sure if this is normal or if they're early because of the hot weather we had early in the spring. A diary would help me to keep track of what's normal up here and I could maybe work some imagery into my celebrations.
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I'm surprised I've never posted in this thread.

For a long time, I celebrated the traditional WotY. Since I have moved to the north, I only celebrate the solstices, which are big, defining points of the year for us. I have been meaning for a long time to change my calendar to celebrate what is important to me bioregionally - but I never find the time to do so. It's on my list of projects in the upcoming months to redefine what the WotY looks like for me, living in sub-arctic Canada.

I guess in a nutshell, it would be something like:

Dec 21 - Winter solstice, the shortest day of the year, and often the coldest. We have only about 2.5 hours of daylight this day.
      March - April sometime: the first hint of spring, when the lakes are still frozen, but the days finally appear longer, and while it is still winter, the promise of spring to come is in the air
      Nearer to the end of April: The snow melts, and the lakes finally expose open water
      Mid-May sometime: The local lakes are clear, but there is still ice on the big lake for a few weeks. The ground snow is gone, and if you look closely, you might find the buds starting on the willow bushes. This is officially spring.
      Beginning of June, after the last frost: Time to plant the garden.
      June 21: Summer solstice, the longest day of the year. The sun DOES set on this day, but it doesn't seem like it. Anything darker than twilight is a distant memory. Lettuces and early bloomers (radishes) are ready to harvest. Everything else is week by week after this - with so much sunlight, it doesn't take long for the peas, and green beans, and raspberries.
      Beginning of August: the first night that darkness reappears, where instead of twilight, we briefly get true darkness. The aurora returns to us.
      End August- very early September: The final harvest. Autumn is fast approaching, and the boreal tundra turns shades of yellow and red. Root vegetables come out of the garden. Mid august, the wild cranberries are ready for picking, if you can find them.
      September-October: The first snowfall. Winter is coming.
      End October-early november: the lakes start freezing over. Winter is here.

Mostly art.

Comment

I celebrate the 8 sabbats, but I also celebrate some of the Catholic holidays with my family. I don't always like to do this, but I do because they are my family and I love them. I try to celebrate the different moons, but I don't always get to. That is my personal Wheel of the Year. It can change though.
        Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

My personal wheel would have to be based upon the seasons for where I live as well as the traditional / festive holidays observed by my family and region. As such some aspect have some similarities with the traditional Wiccanesq holiday dates while others are more aligned to more Hellene inspired dates or observances. Yet that doesn't mean they are monthly or even annual for instance the cake offering to Artemis where every 6 years not every month like many modern pagan practices make them on a full moon type thing.
          I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Mine is growing, having only really started this year. Samhain, the solstices and Beltane are the big ones, but I intend to incorporate the two harvest festivals. I have dates based on the real world, so the second day of May is to be a celebration of countryside wildlife as, on that day this year, I saw an unusually high number of hares. My Beltane will be two full moons after the spring equinox and Samhain two full moons after the autumn equinox.

I will be including Christmas as a family day, which despite being from a Christian family, the Big Fella never seems to get mentioned. And they're all quite active in their respective churches so it's not like they're Christian in name only.

I couldn't give a rats ass about birthdays, but I guess milestones are important.

I am developing celebrations for my historic (Polish, Norse, Celtic, Anglo Saxon) prehistoric ancestors and the earth itself (ie nature generally including the forces).

I am learning flint knapping and will be making flint tools to bury once a year for the ancestors. I hope to pick up skill in coil pot pottery and sacrifice/offer these, too.

I am also developing a constructed language, purely for ritual use.
            Last edited by Briton; 08 Aug 2016, 10:52.
            I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
            Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
            But that day you know I left my money
            And I thought of you only
            All that copper glowing fine

Comment

My practice has a wheel within a wheel. There are the four phases of the moon that wind their way throughout the solar celebrations. In addition are "special" activities that occur on the first light of the new moon, lunar eclipses and solar eclipses. The Lunar events tie us to the phases of life and death in our earthly bodies and the solar events are marking our passage through our spiritual lives.
              The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
              I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Necro'ing this thread for the sake of conversation:

What does your personal Wheel of the Year look like? Which holidays (if any) do you celebrate, and why? Do you follow the Wiccan WotY, or some other variant? Have you created your own?

Mostly art.

Comment

df has not been on in some time i think Vol. so maybe you will get no reply.

- - - Updated - - -

did not check who started that thread,but Thal might comment back. i thought df was the one that started it sorry.
                  MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                  NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                  don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                  http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I personally follow a combination of the Celtic Wheel of the year.
                    Imbolc
                    Ostara
                    Beltane(I have a soft spot for Beltane even though I prefer fall because it was my first public ritual I ever attended)
                    Litha
                    Lughnasadh
                    Mabon
                    Samhain
                    Yule.

Some get more attention then others but I do try and recognize all of them be it lighting a candle thats color goes with the season, making a special meal with ingredients that represent this time or just getting myself outside(weather permitting) to be one with my Goddess and God.
                    "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                      Necro'ing this thread for the sake of conversation:

What does your personal Wheel of the Year look like? Which holidays (if any) do you celebrate, and why? Do you follow the Wiccan WotY, or some other variant? Have you created your own?
                      We tend to follow the Wiccan WotY simply because everyone else does. There aren't any community celebrations for any other holiday system, and when we celebrate we tend to do it as part of a community. I do feel like it serves a purpose of keeping us in tune with the cycle of nature, etc. because we take the time to really observe and feel the world around us when we come together in ritual.
                      We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                      It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                      Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                      -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
                        We tend to follow the Wiccan WotY simply because everyone else does. There aren't any community celebrations for any other holiday system, and when we celebrate we tend to do it as part of a community. I do feel like it serves a purpose of keeping us in tune with the cycle of nature, etc. because we take the time to really observe and feel the world around us when we come together in ritual.
                        I would absolutely love to celebrate with a community. I don't have that here. I have always loved the open public rituals that celebrate the WoY. With a group of people celebrating and raising energy. It's a beautiful and magical thing.
                        "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

Comment

When I lived further south, I celebrated the traditional wheel of the year, because I had proper seasons, and because I hadn't actually given it any thought to create my own. Nowadays, I only formally celebrate the solstices, which I do as a large group of friends around a bonfire. It feels a little silly to celebrate beltane as the time to plant seeds, when at beltane, my temperatures are still regularly below zero, and I'm a full month away from planting.

I'd like to write up my own WotY at some point, but I suppose I very loosely follow something like this:

- The Winter Solstice (big bonfire in the dead of night, full feast, wicker men, and as much ritual as my non pagan friends will allow)
                          - Imbolc (the time to make candles for the year)
                          - Spring Equinox
                          - That April/Mayish time when the ducks come back, and we tap birch trees - our true sign of spring
                          - the last nightfall
                          - Summer Solstice
                          - Berry harvest x1 (blueberries and other boreal berries)
                          - the first nighfall
                          - the first yellow leaf (this is often met with dismay)
                          - Berry harvest x2 (the cranberries, our brief autumn, often the first snowfall)
                          - Samhain
                          - freeze up

I skip out on a few of the traditional woty times, like Lughnasadh because my garden harvest doesn't even remotely line up with this. I only do big things for the solstices though. Everything else is a small candle, or a harvest meal, or marked by weeks of canning and processing. I'd like to incorporate more ritual again eventually.

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by kalynraye View Post
                            I would absolutely love to celebrate with a community. I don't have that here. I have always loved the open public rituals that celebrate the WoY. With a group of people celebrating and raising energy. It's a beautiful and magical thing.
                            Have you looks to see if there's a Unitarian Universalist church with a CUUPS group near you? It looks like there's a CUUPs group about 2 hours away. Maybe you could reach out to them about attending a couple rituals a year? Also, Earth House has a summer festival around the summer solstice that is about 2 1/5 hours away. It's a week long event.
                            We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                            It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                            Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                            -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                              When I lived further south, I celebrated the traditional wheel of the year, because I had proper seasons, and because I hadn't actually given it any thought to create my own. Nowadays, I only formally celebrate the solstices, which I do as a large group of friends around a bonfire. It feels a little silly to celebrate beltane as the time to plant seeds, when at beltane, my temperatures are still regularly below zero, and I'm a full month away from planting.

I'd like to write up my own WotY at some point, but I suppose I very loosely follow something like this:

- The Winter Solstice (big bonfire in the dead of night, full feast, wicker men, and as much ritual as my non pagan friends will allow)
                              - Imbolc (the time to make candles for the year)
                              - Spring Equinox
                              - That April/Mayish time when the ducks come back, and we tap birch trees - our true sign of spring
                              - the last nightfall
                              - Summer Solstice
                              - Berry harvest x1 (blueberries and other boreal berries)
                              - the first nighfall
                              - the first yellow leaf (this is often met with dismay)
                              - Berry harvest x2 (the cranberries, our brief autumn, often the first snowfall)
                              - Samhain
                              - freeze up

I skip out on a few of the traditional woty times, like Lughnasadh because my garden harvest doesn't even remotely line up with this. I only do big things for the solstices though. Everything else is a small candle, or a harvest meal, or marked by weeks of canning and processing. I'd like to incorporate more ritual again eventually.
                              I very much like your berry harvesting festivals! When I was in Texas it was pretty hard to celebrate Yule for the simple fact that its still normally warm outside and while there is definitely darkness its not like what comes here in Wisconsin. I'd say I have grown to appreciate the seasons more being much farther north then I was.

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
                              Have you looks to see if there's a Unitarian Universalist church with a CUUPS group near you? It looks like there's a CUUPs group about 2 hours away. Maybe you could reach out to them about attending a couple rituals a year? Also, Earth House has a summer festival around the summer solstice that is about 2 1/5 hours away. It's a week long event.
                              There absolutely is a UU church but I don't believe they have a CUUPS group. KP and I have gone the last two years for their psychic and craft fair. I really should look more into them.

Comment

Holy cow the image is HUGE
                                Last edited by Sean R. R.; 13 Feb 2019, 10:45.

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

Working...
                                X