This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All things bread...

Yeast, flour, water, and salt makes magic. Real, grounded, physical, literal magic. Call it chemistry, call it baking, but really, its transformation by biological processes and fire.

Bread is magic.

And, if you don't believe me (and you have Netflix), watch Michael Pollan's documentary series Cooked.

Yeast, flour, water, salt. Your most basic bread recipe is really that simple, ingredient wise.

Yeast-Water- Flour- Salt- Salt not only flavors the bread, but also slows down the yeast a bit. Dough without salt will rise much faster resulting in larger air pockets and an uneven crumb to the bread. (note from Thalassa--its also less tasty)

source
    The recipe for 4 ingredient, no knead bread has been passed around the net a time or two over the years, but the originator (best I can tell, net-wise) of the phenomenon of cooking blogs is this recipe.

Nothing but 3 cups of flour, 2 tsp kosher salt, 1/4 teaspoon a yeast, combined in a large bowl. Add 1 5/8c of water (some incarnations of the recipe suggest 1 1/2c--whole wheat flours generally require more water, etc) and mix til its mixed but not over mixed and sticky. Cover and let it go for 12-18 hours (it should have surface bubbles). Fold over on a floured surface a time or two, cover and let rest about 15 minutes. Shape it into a ball and place it into a pre-heated (in the oven) Dutch oven (you can line the pan with parchment paper or coat the bread with corn meal or wheat bran) oven-safe bowl with lid. Bake 30 minutes at 450, then remove the lid and cook for another 15-30 minutes. Remove, cool on rack, and eat.

Magically delicious.

Share your favorite yeast, water, flour, salt (or more) recipes here!!
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Re: All things bread...

I am a Sourdough student. I make bread without buying yeast. I made a starter from equal parts flour and water and let it capture the yeast from the air. I keep the starter well fed and use it often enough that I have two starters so they can rest between uses. I have made the standard loaves and experimented with cinnamon bread, olive loaf, garlic bread and even made some pretty good dinner and breakfast rolls.
    The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
    I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Sourdough is okay sometimes, like with soup or stew. I generally make it in the winter, with my own starter. But I'm not a fan in sweeter breads or for a good ole PB&J.
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

I don't make bread (omg I'd be dead!) cuz DIABETTTUZ.

But I am a lover of good bread. I like bread with lots of seeds especially pumpkin.
        And I loove a really good olive bread.
        I love toasted sour dough bread with soft butter and Tapatio.
        And when I do eat sammies it's always a good wheat bread (where wheat is in the firs ingredient and not corn syrup!)
        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

What is labeled as wheat bread sometimes is caramel colored white bread...I prefer REAL wheat bread....I am white and dislike white bread...go figure.
          MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
          NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
          don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
          http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Working...
          X