Ideas for a Potluck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ideas for a Potluck

Okay, so my extended family in small town AL has this thing called Decoration Day, where they get together to clean the cemeteries, and then afterwards on Sunday they have a giant community potluck. This year is especially tough, since it'll be my first DD without my grandma, who was one of the driving forces behind it, and I want to make her proud.

I'd like to contribute, but I need some help coming up with food. It needs to be:

1. Easy to transport--it will be a 3-4 hour drive there, as well as from the hotel to the house to the church, and then we leave on the same day after eating.
    2. Won't spoil outside--We set up around 10 and stay until everyone is done catching up.
    3. Simple to make, as I won't have access to my kitchen and tools and will be puttering around with other people cooking
    4. Easy to get the ingredients: I will probably bring some of the dry or harder to find ingredients and then buy other stuff I know small towns will stock.

There's usually a ton of mac and cheese, mashed potatoes, fried chicken, and bread there. I can do deserts, sides, or main course, doesn't matter.

I've been toying with some ideas (baking mainly) but I want some more options and ideas that might be better.
    ~Rudyard Kipling, The Cat Who Walks By Himself

Re: Ideas for a Potluck

Banana pudding with the vanilla wafers. Easy to make, always a crowd pleaser.
    I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and CountryTribe of my Tribe
    Clan of my Clan
    Kin of my Kin
    Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
    And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
      It's super funny you say this, because this was Grandma's legacy lol. I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to make it the way she did. The whole town raved about it. I've considered making sure I have her recipe and making it. =)
      ~Rudyard Kipling, The Cat Who Walks By Himself

Comment

Desert is always a good bet...at least it would be for me..

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Rick View Post
        I always liked that...

- - - Updated - - -

I am thinking southern small town,legends as in your Grand mas pudding..and also Her connection to the event..hard to "jump that high" sometimes..but you are "Kin" so maybe easier than most.
        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by faye_cat View Post
          It's super funny you say this, because this was Grandma's legacy lol. I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to make it the way she did. The whole town raved about it. I've considered making sure I have her recipe and making it. =)
          The secret ingredient is love...
          I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and CountryTribe of my Tribe
          Clan of my Clan
          Kin of my Kin
          Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
          And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Working...
          X