Women only train carriages (cars)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Women only train carriages (cars)

I'm not going to give an article, because this goes beyond an article. I don't want to debate the merits of that. I want to talk about the idea of female only train cars. In the east this is a norm actually. And it appears to be making a rise in the west. The reason is mostly due to safety and a free ride from sexual harassment. Now some will say this is regressive. While others say it's putting a bandage on a problem while we work on a solution.

What are your thoughts on it? Your non pc thoughts, that is.
    Satan is my spirit animal

Re: Women only train carriages (cars)

This shouldn't even be a consideration. What's next, segregated airplanes? People need to be responsible for their own behavior, and held accountable for their actions. Don't harass anyone, and they won't need to get away from you.
    sigpic
    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

I did read of a kind of Uber thing only for women also Trans women..Might be a thing...
      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I don't think it's about segregation. You'd still have the rest of the train/subway being normal. It's just about having one or a certain number of cars being for women only.

I think it's cool because I know lots of women would prefer riding there, so why not?
        Do they not, then, ponder about the Qur‘an? Had it been from someone other than Allah, they would have found in it much discrepancy. [4:82]

Comment

It begs the question of why men might have a hard time dealing with women on an equal basis. This is my take on Women,I LIKE women(not just in a sexual way) I also like women who are Intelligent,and interesting in non sexual ways as well. Different in delightful ways,but also good company and interesting verbal interaction.

Just my way of living,but yours may vary....

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
            It begs the question of why men might have a hard time dealing with women on an equal basis. This is my take on Women,I LIKE women(not just in a sexual way) I also like women who are Intelligent,and interesting in non sexual ways as well. Different in delightful ways,but also good company and interesting verbal interaction.

Just my way of living,but yours may vary....
            I'm having a hard time understanding how this is related to what I said. Can you please explain what you mean?
            Do they not, then, ponder about the Qur‘an? Had it been from someone other than Allah, they would have found in it much discrepancy. [4:82]

Comment

They'd have to have a men-only car as well. And then they'll all argue about where the transgendered people should go. Trans-transit?
              sigpic
              Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

so droll Hawk,so very droll....There is a musical number in there somewhere Hawk...

Why I believe there is..

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

No different than having white only cars so they don't have to deal with the uncivilized black folk. Same arguments too: "Just look at the statistics!" or "Some of my best friends are X, I love X, but..." or "They can't help themselves, they're just born violent."

Literally the same arguments.

"I cross the street when I see a man walking towards me because I'm afraid he'll rape me." is perfectly acceptable but "I cross the street when I see a black man walking toward me because I'm afraid he'll mug me." is racist and horrible.

You can't have it both ways. "Privilege" isn't even a factor, it's about thinking about fellow human beings as categorically different than you and thus a threat.
                  Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

I wouldn't mind having a place to put her so I can enjoy my train ride in peace.

Comment

It's honestly sad that this is a consideration.

To start with this IS segregation, albeit willing and self imposed. It's separating a group (women) from the main body (unisex society). The negative connotations associated with the word can generally be thrown out of the window, it's not being forced upon women by society for bad reasons.

I have a couple of issues with the idea (that doesn't mean I'm not for it, however) that can be summed up as; it prioritises women, and it's designed to cure the symptoms instead of solving the problem.

I'm a guy, I've been groped, by both sexes. My experience probably doesn't come close to the levels that some women experience. But by prioritising 'female only' it completely leaves men out the loop. We can still be molested, how does this solve the problem?
                      Also, how does it help a woman's confidence if society is now telling her she has to hide from it's flaws?
                      instead of having a 'no men zone' it should be a 'safe zone'. A place ANYONE can go if they're made to feel uncomfortable by the actions of another.

Finally, While this issue is represented the most as a male-instigated women-victim problem, to genderise it is to miss 50% of the point.
                      People are molesting other people in transit, why is there not a more concentrated effort to stop all antisocial behaviour like this?
                      Instead of separating all the people into groups where they can play nice? Why not just make it more apparent rough play isn't accepted?
                      Work hard Play hard.
                      What is history?

Comment

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
                        No different than having white only cars so they don't have to deal with the uncivilized black folk.
                        Since this is the debate section, your post actually made me think about this more deeply and look at it from another point of view that I never thought about. So thanks! But to be honest I'm not quite there yet, I still disagree that it's the same thing.

Women wanting an only women changing room is not the same as white men wanting an only white changing room. Granted having a car or two just for women is also NOT the same as the changing room example I gave, but it's also not the same as the example you gave. It's not as black and white as it seems to be.

Is it important to have everyone in the same cars, and have everyone respect each other inside? Yes.

Is it good to have a car just for women especially during rush hours where everyone is crammed together and bodies are against bodies? Also yes.

And by the way, I'm also saying this as a male. When it's crowded and bodies are touching and stuff it's very uncomfortable for me because I have to watch it and kinda hold myself really in place so I don't accidentally touch a female in a way she doesn't like, as opposed to just being around guys where we can pretty much slam against each other and it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

So I don't know, it's really something to think about...

Comment

Originally posted by Dumuzi View Post
                          Is it good to have a car just for women especially during rush hours where everyone is crammed together and bodies are against bodies? Also yes.
                          In arguments about this, it's usually about actual molestation. Especially when it's specifically about Japanese trains. The problem there being especially bad given just how absurdly crowded their trains are, and how repressed and stigmatized sex and sexuality is in Japanese culture, as well as the unique problems Japanese men and women are having in that regard.

Japan is very conformist, there is a lot of pressure to keep your head down and toe the line. To be disciplined and polite, to not stand out from the crowd. Making a scene is a huge taboo. It is somehow less embarrassing to disguise yourself as a vending machine than it is make a scene.

So you have the twofold problem of women not wanting to draw attention to themselves, and the people around her not wanting to get involved. Combine that with rampant sexual dissatisfaction and frustration, as well as a notoriously corrupt police and court system, and you can start to see why this is such a HUGE problem for them specifically. The absurd crowding doesn't help either.

The situation you brought up IS a problem, but it's also one that is not going to go away unless we address the underlying issues. The common issue in both cases being trains are too crowded.

It also comes from the perception that women's bodies are more sexualized and/or intimate than men's, heteronormativity, the idea that men are the aggressors, chivalry, and various other ideas and double standards we have about sex, gender, and sexuality that I'd get into but this post is too long as is so I'll keep it relatively brief.

Crowding is a problem, groping is a problem. I don't see this is a viable solution to the second problem, and it may actually be detrimental to the first. It also does nothing to stop women being groped in mixed cars, and again may actually be making the problem worse.

Unless you go full on unambiguous segregation and enforce the divide, which still wouldn't solve the crowd problem and probably not even the groping problem either.

I've already said my bit on that in my first post.
                          Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

I think it's sexist. Why does the cars have to be women only? They should give it to men as well.

Comment

Point is: Is it chosen by those effected,or enacted by others as a way of controlling. If women choose the separate cars,then that is their choice. same pertains to men,Choice is the factor that determines if it is best for those effected. Think on the idea that MEN decide the ability for birth control for women,or any other choice women should be able to choose for themselves. No Man would abide others controlling their choices..but at times half of human kind are not allowed a choice(Voting rights denied Women and minority's) and in the range of time not all that long ago..

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Working...
                              X