Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Women only train carriages (cars)

Oct 2011
    Religion
    Singularitarian
    Phrase
    If you can't slam with the best, then jam with the rest.

Re: Women only train carriages (cars)

Quote Originally Posted by DanieMarie View Post
    In India, where this whole thing started
    Actually, it started in Japan and over a hundred years ago at that.

This isn't about segregating women or forcing them to sit elsewhere.
    Yeah, it's about segregating everybody and forcing men to sit elsewhere.
    Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

Solution...Just give all of us our own personal Limo..no crowding...just cruising along in our luxury auto mobile..Its a convoy!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

YEH,a CONVOY!!!!
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

Healthy dose of reality - In places where women are not safe in the company of men they need a place where there are not men.

Theoretically, Is it better to expect men to behave as if they were decent human beings? Sure. That's a good long term goal. But in the short term, does it help anybody? Nope.

Reality beats out theory, every time - IMHO.
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.

Oct 2011
    Religion
    Singularitarian
    Phrase
    If you can't slam with the best, then jam with the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by B. de Corbin View Post
    In places where women are not safe in the company of men they need a place where there are not men.
    Exactly, we just need to look at the statistics and respect people's feelings. No one should be forced to associate with people they can't feel safe around.
    Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Dec 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan/Stregheria

How about a greater police presence? Lock up the harassers. Better yet, throw them off the train when it's moving at high speed.

Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Feb 2007
    Religion
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
    How about a greater police presence? Lock up the harassers...
    That would work as well, I imagine, should people be willing to pay for it.

In some places, in the old days, there was self-policing. People discouraged public rudeness - but these days discouraging public rudeness seems to be the rudest thing one can do, unless it happens to be the current PC fashionable thing to hate.

lady sings the blues DanieMarie's Avatar
    Oct 2009
    Religion
    Solitary Pagan

It does work when and where resources are available. My friend and I were harassed on a train once by a bunch of drunk bachelor party guys from the sticks who were coming into the city (not touched or anything, they just wouldn't leave us alone). We asked the attendant to help us and she asked them to leave. When they said they had a right to sit there, she told them they were drunk and she'd call the police if they didn't choose one of the many free seats on the mostly empty train.

That being said, not everywhere has extra police resources available, and not all train or public transport networks have the personnel available. And some places are dealing with police brutality issues, which doesn't exactly make people trust them.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Quote Originally Posted by B. de Corbin View Post
    In some places, in the old days, there was self-policing. People discouraged public rudeness - but these days discouraging public rudeness seems to be the rudest thing one can do, unless it happens to be the current PC fashionable thing to hate.
    I don't know that I agree with this. I've read enough period letters and news articles to know that rude and lewd, even harassing behavior has historically been fairly standard--as has the failure of the public to step in and help those being harassed.

Psychology doesn't change that much.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Feb 2007
    Religion
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

Quote Originally Posted by thalassa View Post
    I don't know that I agree with this. I've read enough period letters and news articles to know that rude and lewd, even harassing behavior has historically been fairly standard--as has the failure of the public to step in and help those being harassed.

Psychology doesn't change that much.
    Yeah - that's why I inserted that qualifier (in some places)...

May 2012
    Religion
    Optimistic Agnostic
    Phrase
    Suspend Judgement

Quote Originally Posted by Denarius View Post

Crowding is a problem, groping is a problem. I don't see this is a viable solution to the second problem, and it may actually be detrimental to the first. It also does nothing to stop women being groped in mixed cars, and again may actually be making the problem worse.
    This could be a real issue for ladies who choose to ride with the men. Some men may see it as an indication the woman wants to be groped. I liked what someone said earlier about making a non-gender specific safe zone instead of a ladies only carriage. That way, it becomes a human problem instead of a woman's problem.