• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fort McMurray fire: Evacuees try to outrun inferno -- again

Story here..

Picture worth a thousand words.

MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Re: Fort McMurray fire: Evacuees try to outrun inferno -- again

This was insane. I know at least two people who lost their homes, and I really feel for them. The fire is still burning and is still out of control, which is insane. Luckily, it has moved on from Fort Mac and seems to be headed eastward instead of northward (the big fear, as that's where the oil sands are and regardless of your position on those, they are still currently important to the Canadian economy). Still, it's going to take months to rebuild the damaged parts of the city.

Some of the political stuff about this fire has been pissing me off lately. One one side, some people are saying that it's karma for the oil sands and their contribution to global warming. I'm an environmentalist and am generally against continued investment in the oil industry in Canada, but I still think this is outrageous and offensive. People lost their homes, and global warming aside, wildfires can and do happen in Canada's historic climate, so it's impossible to tie THIS exact fire to global warming. On the other hand, all sorts of people are blaming politicians (especially Trudeau). I have news for them: people blamed Harper when there were massive wildfires in British Columbia last summer, and he was a very different leader of a different party. I think it's probably just not easy to deal with a crisis on this scale. A lot of news about Canada declining international help was also all over my Facebook feed, but if people bothered to actually read the article they posted, it explicitly said that the firefighters themselves declined the help. More people from more countries is a logistical nightmare, and the blaze is so insane that more fighters won't make it better. There are already over 700 Canadian firefighters on the job. Canada HAS the resources to deal with this as well as it can be dealt with. The problem is that at this point, it can't really be dealt with.

Comment

Oh my goodness! I will definitely be praying for everyone. This is so terrible.
      Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Welcome to summer in Canada.

Mostly art.

Comment

You Canadians be crazy,BUT being my Father was a FRENCH Canadian,I might want to keep my voice down,,everyone knows French Canadians are even crazier than just Canadians.
          MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
          NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
          don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
          http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Working...
          X