The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

Who controls the past controls the future

In George Orwell's classic book about totalitarian government 1984, the main character's "job" was to destroy old information that the gooberment didn't like and replace it with a revised version - then instantly "forget" having done so.

One of the beauties of science fiction is that, sometimes, it can so accurately predict the future (I can't help noticing this as I read Fahrenheit 451) - although the future doesn't always unfold the way it's predicted.

Sooo... It turns out that it isn't really the gooberment we have to worry about... It's those massive companies that have control of information... Google, Apple, etc.

Here's an interesting sign of things to come:

Apple Stole My Music. No, Seriously.

For about ten years, I’ve been warning people, “hang onto your media. One day, you won’t buy a movie. You’ll buy the right to watch a movie, and that movie will be served to you. If the companies serving the movie don’t want you to see it, or they want to change something, they will have the power to do so. They can alter history, and they can make you keep paying for things that you formerly could have bought. Information will be a utility rather than a possession. Even information that you yourself have created will require unending, recurring payments just to access.”

When giving the above warning, however, even in my most Orwellian paranoia I never could have dreamed that the content holders, like Apple, would also reach into your computer and take away what you already owned...
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Jedi
    Phrase
    The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force.

Re: Who controls the past controls the future

Apple demonstrates once again that it can't be trusted though I could see that stunt coming back to bite them eventually. Terms of use are annoying barriers but not always perfect. Anyway, yes, hold onto media that you value and if you see a book or movie that you really want to guarantee access to then get hard copy. I'm replacing a number of my fiction books with google play versions because right now, I value space and easy mobility more than the assured ownership of those novels but there is a distinct risk when you deal with e-books that you'll be screwed over.

EDIT: Though this particular bit of screwing over the customer is far more egregious than I ever expected and I tend to think it should be followed by criminal prosecutions.
    Last edited by MaskedOne; 10 May 2016 at 06:29.
    "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
    ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

May 2014
    Religion
    Polytheist
    Phrase
    Heyoooooooo!

Always keep hard copies of your data somewhere safe.

The delete/import does seem pretty bad though. I use spotify and it recognises the songs/mp3s I have on my pc but it doesn't automatically import them (it does register that they are in my music however; I can see all the files on other devices, but I can't access them.)
    Work hard Play hard.
    What is history?

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

My Cable Company does this with "Buy" a movie BUT it remains on their system,and if you bought it and then left for another provider,you lose your "Bought" movie. I love hard copy,something I can touch and see.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Dec 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan/Stregheria

Amazon did the same thing. Back in 2000, I got a Dell PC and they offered a free Dell music player. You copied all your physical cd's into it. When that was discontinued it was transferred into Yahoo, also free, then to Amazon, free for a while. When Amazon did their most recent update, a couple of my cd's were missing from my music files. I was able to re-do them and Amazon rejected at least one. I was able to copy it to Google music so i can play it on my phone, which was all I wanted.

But, yeah, they are deleting my stuff which I pay an annual fee to have access to, across devices. I'll hold on to my records/tapes/cd's, and real books, TYVM. This Kindle thing is the next big ripoff.

Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

<-------owner of records and paper books

The only e-things I buy online are things I either intend to consume once or twice and don't care about otherwise, or things I already own or plan to own once I find it used at a decent price.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Aug 2015
    Religion
    Ecletic pagan.
    Phrase
    This too shall pass.

Personally, I've never subscribed to cloud stuff like Itunes, kindle, etc because of stuff like this. I would like a Kindle, but like Thal said, only for stuff I already have physically or cheap stuff that is kind of interesting but not a must have. With my music, I've never even had an Ipod or other MP3 player because either you have to purchase the music from their database or they make it a complete pain to transfer your music into their format. Adobe has made it near impossible to outright buy Photoshop; instead it's a month to month lease that will cost you so much more.

In the bigger scheme, this does slightly chill me. It doesn't even have to be taken to an extreme. Changing history because of the bad associations guarantees we can't learn from our mistakes and do better.
    “I am Cat and I walk alone and all ways are the same to me.” ~Rudyard Kipling, The Cat Who Walks By Himself

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

In this we ponder why people would "Pirate" things...In fact the whole copy protection thing back in the way back,spawned much of the Cracking/hacking scene when a lot of people had C64's and the Copy protection could/would knock your drive out of alignment.and it could cost you a lot to get the drive realigned. Stripping the CP,would save you the cost of doing that. Over protection breeds work around's. Think about what is termed "Jail breaking" with phones. Try to restrict peoples access and it turns into an attitude of "They did it to me first"...turnabout is fair play.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

May 2012
    Religion
    Optimistic Agnostic
    Phrase
    Suspend Judgement

I read this article the other day and it was a huge wake-up call for me. Because I write music as well, I'm not really sure what to do now with all my original music to keep it safe other than buy a tape deck!!!! I was going to transfer all my CDs onto my PC and then get rid of the CDs, but I've changed my mind now!!!

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Jedi
    Phrase
    The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force.

Quote Originally Posted by Azvanna View Post
    I read this article the other day and it was a huge wake-up call for me. Because I write music as well, I'm not really sure what to do now with all my original music to keep it safe other than buy a tape deck!!!! I was going to transfer all my CDs onto my PC and then get rid of the CDs, but I've changed my mind now!!!
    Keeping music on a machine can be done safely. Just

A. Keep backups
    B. Be very careful with stuff like Apple Music

I've got some ebooks through google that I can lose if google does something silly. I have others that are just watermarked pdfs that don't have that risk. Computer storage isn't inherently risky if handled right, the random silliness that several large companies are indulging in is.
    "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
    ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis