Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who controls the past controls the future

Dec 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan/Stregheria

Re: Who controls the past controls the future

Aside from an entity like Apple, Amazon, etc., controlling things, there's the simple fact that the way we access our stuff changes. Vinyl - 8-tracks - cassettes - cd's - mp3, etc. And after some time, it's hard to find a way to play the stuff you have. Turntables are still around but 8-track players aren't. As far as anything on a computer, that changes too. I have a box full of floppy disks, and a micro-cassette from an old answering machine with someone's voice on it. That sort of thing. Kindle changes your edition. A real book, however, is still a book, until the pages turn to dust.

Change vs. tradition. I'll take tradition.

Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

The feel of texture as you turn the pages...the optical scan as you sit or lay with the book in your hands and fingers touching the words on the page....
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

lady sings the blues DanieMarie's Avatar
    Oct 2009
    Religion
    Solitary Pagan

Quote Originally Posted by thalassa View Post
    <-------owner of records and paper books

The only e-things I buy online are things I either intend to consume once or twice and don't care about otherwise, or things I already own or plan to own once I find it used at a decent price.
    Same. I just never really caught on to electronic stuff. I have a few mp3s I bought on iTunes and a few eBooks I bought on Amazon, but it just didn't feel the same so I resumed buying physical media again.

I do listen to streaming music and download public domain books, but that's about it.

I think it's stuff like this that makes me hold onto my physical media, though. When you buy digital downloads, you don't *own* those products. You buy a license to use them. It's not the same as owning a record or a book.

This guy's case is way worse than just a few ripped CDs though. From the sounds of it, he's a musician or producer, and the program ripped his own music and deleted it from his hard drive, which is HORRIBLE. I'm not really prolific with recording, but I have a few folk demos and some experimental sound layering pieces that I made on my hard drive. If one of my music apps deleted those, I'd be PISSED. Also, I wouldn't even want to give any of them permission to access them or upload them. Those are mine, and many of them aren't even finished products. I want to choose what, where, and when I share my own music on the Internet.

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

I actually like electronic files - over the course of my life I have accumulated so much stuff, in the form of books and music, that I have no place to put them, so I have to go on periodic "purges" to make room. Then, of course, immediately after sending a load of books off to the library book sale, I find that I need to get hold of a source... that I no longer have access to.

However, I don't like having my stuff stored by a "service." First, because I don't have extremely reliable internet so the "service" is not always available when I want it, and second, because I am then at the mercy of the "service" and what it's owners may or may not decide to do, like changing format or raising costs, or going out of business.

I much prefer having actual copies of efiles on my computer, or thumb drive, or where ever - that is the only way that I feel I "own" the stuff outright.

The whole idea of a "service" having control OF ANY KIND over my person files is abhorrent.

(I have trust issues. I earned them the hard way)
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.

lady sings the blues DanieMarie's Avatar
    Oct 2009
    Religion
    Solitary Pagan

I just don't even listen to stuff on my computer. If I want to listen to music while I'm on the computer, it's easier to just launch Spotify.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Quote Originally Posted by DanieMarie View Post
    Same. I just never really caught on to electronic stuff. I have a few mp3s I bought on iTunes and a few eBooks I bought on Amazon, but it just didn't feel the same so I resumed buying physical media again.

I do listen to streaming music and download public domain books, but that's about it.

I think it's stuff like this that makes me hold onto my physical media, though. When you buy digital downloads, you don't *own* those products. You buy a license to use them. It's not the same as owning a record or a book.
    Oh, I love my kindles (I have a fire and a paperwhite)...but I use them as a secondary form of media, not as a replacement.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Oct 2013
    Religion
    Egyptian Wiccan
    Phrase
    Daughter of Lord Anubis and Lady Bast.

I never really liked the e-books. My mother loves them and has a kindle, but I just can't stand them. I have to have books. I have actual cds. I don't often get cds anymore unless it's something from my past like Savage Garden or No Doubt. I like Bruno Mars. I do use Amazon MP3s, but I also back them up on a portable drive. When I write, I do using text files and Microsoft Word. That I do like using electronic media. It makes it much easier to write. It's hard to let go of some things, but easier to come into others. I have found that I love the cell phone, social media, blogging, email, etc...
    Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Reading is Love | Serenity Hutchinson (Online Resume)

Dec 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan/Stregheria

Quote Originally Posted by thalassa View Post
    Oh, I love my kindles (I have a fire and a paperwhite)...but I use them as a secondary form of media, not as a replacement.
    My music is the same way. I still have all of it except the 8-tracks.

Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Jedi
    Phrase
    The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force.

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple...m_term=partner

Apparently public outcry still gets a response. Not sure on useful yet but it's something.
    "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
    ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

Quote Originally Posted by MaskedOne View Post
    http://www.businessinsider.com/apple...m_term=partner

Apparently public outcry still gets a response. Not sure on useful yet but it's something.
    Hmmm...

Very deeply mysterious...

In the original article, didn't the author say he contacted AppleCare, and was told the software was "working as intended"?

I wonder if (parnoid as I am) Apple was field testing to see how it would fly?
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.