Hi Heels at work...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Heels at work...

Okay... this isn't a debate about whether or not it's a legal requirement... but what do you think about it? Personally I think it's nonsense... high heels are bad for feet, knees, pelvis, spine... there's no way they should be de rigeur.
    It's perfectly possible to look neat and tidy without them. Men do it all the time...

A 27-year-old woman working for a City firm says she was sent home for refusing to wear high heels. But is this legal, fair or healthy?
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Re: Hi Heels at work...

I think you can be perfectly presentable and professional in sensible flat shoes. Lots of ballet flats look dressy enough for a professional environment.

If women want to wear heels, fine. But they should know that it causes long-term back and foot problems, among other things. No one should make it part of a workplace dress code.

I once had a workplace dress code that made me wear 3-inch heels (minimum). On my tiny feet, that's actually a really high heel, and I always had major back pain (at 24, no less). We weren't allowed to sit, either. Both of those are actually illegal here. I should have complained.

Edit

By the way, a friend just posted about this on Facebook. She used to work at the same PwC office that this took place at and she said that's not their policy and that it was the staffing company that outsourced her there that demanded she wear heels.

Comment

That's interesting... I still cannot get my head around why anyone would think women should wear high heels at work though. Maybe the future lies in making men wear stockings, high heels and a corset... but then it would look like something off the Rocky Horror Show!
      www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

I seldom wear high heels to work, I don't think women oughtta either, unless they wanna.

It's kind of like the modern version of foot binding, IMHO.
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Lol. I can't imagine me wearing them at the tool store trying to push around a 1 ton shop crane. Also I'm medically exempt! I have to wear inserts for my plantar faciitus. I'm not even supposed to wear flats. I have to wear comfy shoes. Doctor's orders.
          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I do remember where I worked that women had that dress code...dresses and heels. Really stupid in my opinion. in commuting I would see women in tennis shoes and carrying heels in a little bag..I noticed at their desks they slipped on a pair of slipper like shoes..only doing the heels if they had to do a group. That was early 80's and it did change about mid 80's..not just the heels,but from dresses to pants..

- - - Updated - - -

I was all over the company delivering mail,so I heard things and saw things a lot of the regular employees did not(was funny the VP's would drop by the mail room to "CHAT" about how things were going company wise,even the president would drop by from time to time)
            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I generally find women's fashion to be a breeding ground for nonsensical ideas (my current grudge is fake pockets, someone please explain why in hell women buy items with fake pockets). High heels are a special case of nonsensical and masochistic so I'm all in favor of removing them from dress codes and then burning them all. Since the latter won't happen, I'll settle for the former.
              life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Oddly at our tool store women are allowed to wear skirts! There are a few older women who do it with their sneakers. It works since they are just at the registers. I think I might buy one for work for the summer. Long enough I can bend down in etc, probably denim. I just think it's cool we can wear them. Then again we can also wear tattoos. AND we are a privately owned company. You would think we'd go all evil conservative.
                Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

It is interesting that some women LIKE wearing dresses..I guess it is just that they have worn them for so long. There is also this: my ex wore dresses and skirts even when she did not have to because the church she was part of had this whole women MUST wear dresses,mainly granny ones..you know like little house on the prairie ones,down to the ankles. If you wonder it was an SDA church.

- - - Updated - - -

And Duce you could go with those shorts skirts things..culottes??
                  MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                  NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                  don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                  http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I remember my mother wearing "housedresses" complete with girdle, etc., just to be home doing housework. Lucky for me, right about the time I was old enough to start needing a bra, all that girdle stuff went out the window. Worst thing I had to deal with was pantyhose. I did have some high heels when I was younger, "Candie's" were a big thing in college. Now it's Orthaheel for every step.

These were my first and fave Candies - they were called "Sprinkles": il_fullxfull.60771667.jpg
                    sigpic
                    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                      It is interesting that some women LIKE wearing dresses..I guess it is just that they have worn them for so long. There is also this: my ex wore dresses and skirts even when she did not have to because the church she was part of had this whole women MUST wear dresses,mainly granny ones..you know like little house on the prairie ones,down to the ankles. If you wonder it was an SDA church.

- - - Updated - - -

And Duce you could go with those shorts skirts things..culottes??
                      Dresses can actually be really comfortable, though. Like if it's really hot outside, they're way better than shorts. You won't catch me dead wearing anything resembling pants in the summer. Wearing a silk or light cotton sundress is the closest thing to being naked, and I wish men got to experience the joy of wearing them.

They can also be comfortable when it's cold out. I find that a good pair of wool tights layered over a pair of leggings is warmer than a pair of leggings layered under pants, even wool pants. They're just tighter, and that makes it warmer. Back in the day, men used to wear tunics over what were basically wool leggings. It's sort of the same.

Comment

I don't think it should be forced on women to wear high heels at work. I would love to see a guy wear them for 8 hours a day. When I had my last job I used to wear 1 - 1 and 1/2 " heels just fine. It is a choice. However, I think some of these women who wear 5 " heels are just plain crazy. What the heck are they thinking? I would fall over just trying them on. Plus they have to hurt after a while. However, like I said, no one has the right to force women to wear high heels.
                        Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                          I generally find women's fashion to be a breeding ground for nonsensical ideas (my current grudge is fake pockets, someone please explain why in hell women buy items with fake pockets). High heels are a special case of nonsensical and masochistic so I'm all in favor of removing them from dress codes and then burning them all. Since the latter won't happen, I'll settle for the former.
                          100% YES!!!!! lol. Fake pockets are the WORST. Next to high heels.

There's a church in Melbourne that does national youth conferences etc and all their lady back-up singers are required to wear very high heels on stage for around 2h hours while jumping around. It's absurd! I won't wear high heels on stage because I'm too scared of falling over!!

I'm pleased to say high heels breach my occupation's Occupational Health and Safety Standards so I never have to wear them. Like Dani said, there's LOADS more sensible, stylish options out there. Like Crocs. :devil:

Comment

I've had heels that eased back pain for me. I've learned which ones are better. That said, I rarely wear them now, and definitely think that requiring heels is wrong. And sometimes they are downright dangerous. Same with requiring skirts, although I really love wearing skirts, always have. They are very comfy in many situations. Twirls like a four-year old.

The fake pockets are decorative because real pockets look bulky. And if you are enough of a fashion criminal to actually use the pockets, then they are bulkier still. Fashion over function. Because accomplishing fashionable good looks trumps any other kind of accomplishment.

Comment

Sooo.....

I should just hold onto the premise that women's* fashion is a breeding ground for nonsense and be glad that it is primarily not my problem.

* To be fair, I've come across some rather silly men's stuff too. It just isn't quite as widespread. Well, excepting ties. Whoever thought that wearing a noose should be part of men's formal attire needs to be brought back from the dead so that I can hurt him... badly... repeatedly... for about five years straight...
                              life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Working...
                              X