Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hi Heels at work...

lady sings the blues DanieMarie's Avatar
    Oct 2009
    Religion
    Solitary Pagan

Re: Hi Heels at work...

Quote Originally Posted by anunitu View Post
    It is interesting that some women LIKE wearing dresses..I guess it is just that they have worn them for so long. There is also this: my ex wore dresses and skirts even when she did not have to because the church she was part of had this whole women MUST wear dresses,mainly granny ones..you know like little house on the prairie ones,down to the ankles. If you wonder it was an SDA church.

- - - Updated - - -

And Duce you could go with those shorts skirts things..culottes??
    Dresses can actually be really comfortable, though. Like if it's really hot outside, they're way better than shorts. You won't catch me dead wearing anything resembling pants in the summer. Wearing a silk or light cotton sundress is the closest thing to being naked, and I wish men got to experience the joy of wearing them.

They can also be comfortable when it's cold out. I find that a good pair of wool tights layered over a pair of leggings is warmer than a pair of leggings layered under pants, even wool pants. They're just tighter, and that makes it warmer. Back in the day, men used to wear tunics over what were basically wool leggings. It's sort of the same.

Oct 2013
    Religion
    Egyptian Wiccan
    Phrase
    Daughter of Lord Anubis and Lady Bast.

I don't think it should be forced on women to wear high heels at work. I would love to see a guy wear them for 8 hours a day. When I had my last job I used to wear 1 - 1 and 1/2 " heels just fine. It is a choice. However, I think some of these women who wear 5 " heels are just plain crazy. What the heck are they thinking? I would fall over just trying them on. Plus they have to hurt after a while. However, like I said, no one has the right to force women to wear high heels.
    Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Reading is Love | Serenity Hutchinson (Online Resume)

May 2012
    Religion
    Optimistic Agnostic
    Phrase
    Suspend Judgement

Quote Originally Posted by MaskedOne View Post
    I generally find women's fashion to be a breeding ground for nonsensical ideas (my current grudge is fake pockets, someone please explain why in hell women buy items with fake pockets). High heels are a special case of nonsensical and masochistic so I'm all in favor of removing them from dress codes and then burning them all. Since the latter won't happen, I'll settle for the former.
    100% YES!!!!! lol. Fake pockets are the WORST. Next to high heels.

There's a church in Melbourne that does national youth conferences etc and all their lady back-up singers are required to wear very high heels on stage for around 2h hours while jumping around. It's absurd! I won't wear high heels on stage because I'm too scared of falling over!!

I'm pleased to say high heels breach my occupation's Occupational Health and Safety Standards so I never have to wear them. Like Dani said, there's LOADS more sensible, stylish options out there. Like Crocs.

I've had heels that eased back pain for me. I've learned which ones are better. That said, I rarely wear them now, and definitely think that requiring heels is wrong. And sometimes they are downright dangerous. Same with requiring skirts, although I really love wearing skirts, always have. They are very comfy in many situations. Twirls like a four-year old.

The fake pockets are decorative because real pockets look bulky. And if you are enough of a fashion criminal to actually use the pockets, then they are bulkier still. Fashion over function. Because accomplishing fashionable good looks trumps any other kind of accomplishment.

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Jedi
    Phrase
    The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force.

Sooo.....

I should just hold onto the premise that women's* fashion is a breeding ground for nonsense and be glad that it is primarily not my problem.

* To be fair, I've come across some rather silly men's stuff too. It just isn't quite as widespread. Well, excepting ties. Whoever thought that wearing a noose should be part of men's formal attire needs to be brought back from the dead so that I can hurt him... badly... repeatedly... for about five years straight...
    "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
    ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Oct 2010
    Religion
    solitary pagan witch with a strong interest in Anglo Saxons
    Phrase
    Phantom Turnips never die. They just get stewed occasionally....

Fake pockets do my head in. I need pockets. Preferably large ones. For my inhaler, tissues, painkillers.... and stuff. Like books.

I was way ahead of my time in wanting to wear trousers and it caused no end of problems with my mother when I was young. I still live in trousers, and when I wear skirts they have to be full length. And I wear them with socks. (Stockings and suspenders may once have been thought sexy but honestly they are uncomfortable). and men's shoes.

Because men have the right idea on footwear. Flat wide and comfy. A bit like me, really... )
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

If men had to wear them, this would never be a thing.

Also, if PwC is Price Waterhouse Coopers (my uncle works for them in the US and I know they are global), they don't he the requirement in his office. Workplace safety standards being what they are, I'm not sure that is strictly legal...but I'm not sure--after all, I work somewhere where steel toes and hardhats are all the rage...
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

lady sings the blues DanieMarie's Avatar
    Oct 2009
    Religion
    Solitary Pagan

I'm not a fan of fake pockets, but I kind of understand their purpose. Like a few people have said, pockets can be bulky, and a lot of the items that have fake pockets fit very close to the body. If you put change or a set of keys in there, you are going to see it. On the other hand, the pockets can help some pieces be more flattering. I know that personally, when I wear pants without pockets at all, there's a certain lump at the sides of my hips that you can really clearly see. Pockets seem to draw attention away from that.

Sometimes, fake pockets are just about being cheap. Adding real pockets takes more fabric and requires more detailed sewing. Cheap clothing companies don't want to bother putting in that kind of resources and effort. Since the women's market for fast fashion is way bigger than the men's, you can maybe understand why this is a thing.

Also, sometimes people *think* that certain clothing items have fake pockets, but they are actually real pockets sewn shut. When manufacturers ship clothing, they usually sew the pockets shut to help the pieces hold their shape better when they're jam-packed into those boxes (and possibly to prevent in-store theft of smaller items). You're *supposed* to take a stitch ripper or small pair of scissors to those when you take the piece home, but a lot of people don't realize that you can. The reason this doesn't happen as often with men's clothing is that the style of pockets are often different (ie not the narrow slit pockets we usually get in women's clothing).

That all being said, nothing is more annoying than finding a ton of clothing with fake pockets when you want real pockets. All of my clothing has real pockets, but I don't actually use them. Ever. I even had one pair of pants where I sewed the real pockets back shut, because they always seemed to gape when I wore them. Like a lot of women, I carry a handbag everywhere (no amount of pockets is going to fit a water bottle and my epi-pen), so I don't really need them. They usually just get filled with tissues, receipts, and public transit tickets.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by thalassa View Post
    If men had to wear them, this would never be a thing.

Also, if PwC is Price Waterhouse Coopers (my uncle works for them in the US and I know they are global), they don't he the requirement in his office. Workplace safety standards being what they are, I'm not sure that is strictly legal...but I'm not sure--after all, I work somewhere where steel toes and hardhats are all the rage...
    It was the staffing firm that outsourced her to PwC that had this policy. My friend who used to work at that very same PwC office confirmed that.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Quote Originally Posted by DanieMarie View Post
    It was the staffing firm that outsourced her to PwC that had this policy. My friend who used to work at that very same PwC office confirmed that.
    I got that--I'm just saying that other contractors that handle the reception stuff at other offices of theirs may not have that same policy.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Jul 2014
    Religion
    Celtic Pagan, Kitchen Witch

I love heels, though I do have a limit on the the height of the heels. After 4 inches I can't promise I can walk in them. I'd also like to see service with a whole bunch of female line cooks wearing heels, that would be hilarious!!! However I don't believe women should have to wear heels if they don't want to.

side note: I have seen some men who can rock a pair of heels like no ones business
    "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect