Photo sessions for everything....ugh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Photo sessions for everything....ugh

What about professional photo sessions for the parents with miscarriages? I know I'm bringing up sad things. But I've seen them.
    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
      What about professional photo sessions for the parents with miscarriages? I know I'm bringing up sad things. But I've seen them.
      That's weird too.

Then again, death portraits were a huge thing in the Victorian era.

It's not like this is new.
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

The death photo thing came up at My exe's side when one of the relatives did a picture of the dead in the coffin. You must understand her side of the family was OLD school German mainly in Lodi California. We are talking German spoken at home and with family. So old customs still happen.
        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Professional photographer, so I have to weigh in on this.

Yes, I don't understand promposals and other "gimmicky" things, but hey more money for me, right? =P (I kid...kinda).

The parents with miscarriages...the biggest group of that is Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep, and it's goal is to give parents a tangible gift of knowing they had a baby, however short lived it was. And not just blurry snapshots, but a true piece of art that will stay with them and help keep the memory alive, both for grieving and healing. I know plenty of people who have had miscarriages or short lived babies who can't remember them, because they were exhausted/emotional during that period of time.

Anyways, for me personally, I think that a part of people wanting "all the pics!" is a reflection of the fact that their parents didn't have any pictures of the every day stuff. I know my mom talks about how she doesn't even have one snapshot of herself pregnant, not even on halloween, because no one ever took them, and it makes her so sad. And people don't have many from birthday parties because they are running around being hosts, so they don't have time to take them (Especially nowadays with the bratty kids not giving them a minute to relax).

I think it's also the fact that technology now has gotten to the point where it *is* accessible. People can usually afford at least one camera, and a good memory card, and storage for the digital files. I mean, people used to stand for hours over a few days to get their portrait made, is 10 selfies a day as silly? =P (Yes, when all ten are posted on facebook at the same time lol).

As Jembru mentioned, self positivity is a huge part of it to. Lifestyle photography, as it's known as, really does help someone feel good. It can really show what you actually look like, and make you feel great.

Urgh, I am not articulate at all...

tl;dr: I agree that the abundance of sharing the pictures can be annoying and a reflection of a narcissistic tendency, but I think the photography itself is a good thing.
          ~Rudyard Kipling, The Cat Who Walks By Himself

Comment

Originally posted by faye_cat View Post
            The parents with miscarriages...the biggest group of that is Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep, and it's goal is to give parents a tangible gift of knowing they had a baby, however short lived it was. And not just blurry snapshots, but a true piece of art that will stay with them and help keep the memory alive, both for grieving and healing. I know plenty of people who have had miscarriages or short lived babies who can't remember them, because they were exhausted/emotional during that period of time.

I had a stillbirth at 26 weeks. While I can intellectually understand this....personally, I don't want or need that memory. I don't want to think of my Aurora as what she looked like when she was born. But different people grieve differently. To me its wierd.
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

I agree with marking special occasions with photos but not necessarily a professional for every little event. I admit I take a lot of selfies (not like every single day like some people but idk a few a month) mainly because I'm half the country away at school and my family wants to see how my life is.

Comment

Originally posted by faye_cat View Post
                tl;dr: I agree that the abundance of sharing the pictures can be annoying and a reflection of a narcissistic tendency, but I think the photography itself is a good thing.
                I think that might be the root of what annoys me about this. I probably wouldn't care much if people did photo sessions for everything and framed them on their walls, put them in albums, or stored them in digital photo frames, but every time I go online, it looks like everyone is trying to be in a magazine. Likewise, it wouldn't bother me if people had candids of that stuff online. It just feels a little show-offy.

Plus, maybe separate from the photo thing but related is the celebrations for every little thing.

Edit: Like Thal and a few others here, I'm also not a selfie hater by default. It does bother me when people post them constantly, but they don't bug me overall. I used to travel alone and still know a lot of people who do, so I understand the practicality of it in a lot of cases (not -just- travelling).

Comment

I do post a lot of pictures...but part of that is because I use some social media like a journal/photo album, and the other is because I live halfway across the country from most of my family and friends...and especially when it come to grandparents, that matters.
                  sigpic

Comment

Indeed it does Thal..as I am one of those said Grand Parents as is my Ex...Our grand puppies are growing so fast!!!!
                    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                      I do post a lot of pictures...but part of that is because I use some social media like a journal/photo album, and the other is because I live halfway across the country from most of my family and friends...and especially when it come to grandparents, that matters.
                      Yeah but your pics of your kids are pretty cool.
                      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Lol! It helps that they are hams...
                        sigpic

Comment

Also, as a photographer, mother, aunt, etc....I do not understand overly dramatic gender reveals. They bug me. So much. And when I see professional photography for that, along with like 70 images (at most I could understand 3-7 depending on the method), it drives me crazy.
                          ~Rudyard Kipling, The Cat Who Walks By Himself

Comment

I do like to post pictures of the kid when I have him.

I also like to post pictures when I travel. I dont like to take a lot of pictures of myself though. I wish I had some more pictures. I have almost no good pictures of myself in the military. I just want one good pic of myself in uniform so I can have more ammo in my vain attempt to impress the lasies of the world.

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                              I have nothing against that. It's a good way to stay in touch! I actually really enjoy seeing pictures of friends' kids, gardens, homemade meals, projects, and other stuff, and don't even mind if they post daily. It's the people who constantly stage everything like their facebook page is a magazine that bug me. Like, one person in my network got two separate sets of engagement photos done — one when she was first engaged a year ago, and another now. It's like, why? We already got your "Save the Date" card with your first set of professional pics in the mail. Why are you doing it *again*?

Comment

Working...
                              X