X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MORE important than N.C. potties

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
    anti-discrimination laws are written to protect against discrimination ... They are written to protect every single person.
    Exactly my point. Which is why I have a problem with the amendment in question, which was specifically about LGBT.
    Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Reason is because some people do not think everybody includes other than themselves.

- - - Updated - - -

and why not fire a person because their name does not sound "American" enough....
      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
        Reason is because some people do not think everybody includes other than themselves.
        Which is why we have anti-discrimination laws, which apply in both ways to all American citizens.
        Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

But truth be told they do not protect everyone,even though they are supposed to.

- - - Updated - - -

so we have to keep pointing out that everyone means EVERYONE!

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

so we have to keep pointing out that everyone means EVERYONE!
            We have to close loopholes and pressure the system to enforce the laws that are in place. Not make laws redundant and exclusionary.

Firing someone for being a neonazi is just as discriminatory as firing someone for being gay. Because everyone, means everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
              Which is why we have anti-discrimination laws, which apply in both ways to all American citizens.
              Honestly it our country have anti-discrimination laws then they should never passed these anti-LGBT bills in the first place. This country has never made any progress so far and it keeps getting worse when hateful bills keep releasing to be more bigotry and hateful.

Comment

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
                This country has never made any progress so far
                Absolutely no progress whatsoever. Which is why the had to bury their true intentions in an unrelated bill, otherwise it would never have even the slightest bit of traction and would have been dead in the water.

Comment

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
                  Exactly my point. Which is why I have a problem with the amendment in question, which was specifically about LGBT.
                  Is it?

I haven't read the text of the bill. I don't actually want to wade through 1770 pages to locate that amendment, but, since you seem to know the language which included only LGBT folks, I'd be grateful if you could quote it for me.
                  Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                    Is it?
                    It actually isn't, I was just going off of what the article anunitu posted said about it.

an amendment intended to protect lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people from discrimination.
                    Having looked it up myself, I would not refer to it as that at all. It is not specific to LGBT.

I still have a problem with the government deciding which kinds of discrimination (in the sense of personal reasons for firing/not hiring someone.) are acceptable or not, it should be all or nothing.

Comment

Okey-dokey.
                      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Everyone means everyone. Except if you were black and couldn't be free and were considered property. Or you were a woman and considered not able to vote.

So then the government makes amendments and bills and such to fix the errors of the current and incorrect view of set of human beings.

Everyone isn't everyone because we made it that way. Now we are trying to fix it.

Get out the dang way!
                        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

In a given place, at a given time, a specific group or specific groups are more likely to be the victims of discrimination than are others. Laws in the US are writen to prevent discrimination against all people, but at a time, in a place, the discussion tends to revolve around discrimination against those who are most likely to be experiencing it.

This does not mean they are being singled out for special protections. It means they are the ones currently, here, in need of visible support.

Comment

Shrug, people find new excuses to discriminate, laws are created saying, "Stop being an idiot about this point." Yes, a general law of "Stop being an idiot" would be nice but odds of getting one are slim. Hence, we continually add to the list of topics where being an idiot is unlawful. As is, unless an idiot* writes the law, it shouldn't be

"Thou shalt not discriminate against X" where X is a group so much as
                            "Thou shalt not discriminate based upon Y" where Y is a trait

Why does this matter?
                            Replace X with gay and Y with Sexual Orientation

Y protects everyone even if its most common application at this moment protects certain groups.

*I can hear the universe pointing at Congress. I neither need nor want the peanut gallery to join it.
                            life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

In truth it is as simple as "Don't be a dick",and stop with the weird "Killing each other for no discernible reason"(thank you wise universe)

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

We are a country of loopholes. If we aren't told something specifically, we weasel out of it. I mean how come we have commandments and lists of sins in the bible? Do you need to be told not to rape your daughter and screw your neighbor? Huh? How's about be a decent human being and stop looking for loopholes so you can do something rotten but claim it's legal because the gooberment didn't tell you yeah, don't be a racist jackhole.

Sheesh.
                                Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Working...
                                X