beginner dogs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

beginner dogs?

So my shrink says she thinks a dog would be really good for my anxiety, and I've wanted a dog most of my life. I'm like 99% sure that I'm not actually allergic to them (my mom always said I was, but I don't actually remember ever reacting to one). I had an allergy test made a few years ago I think was negative for dogs, I'm gonna call my doctor to ask.
    anyway. I've never had a dog, and my husband hasn't since he was a kid. We live in an appartment, but we do have a shared garden area, and both lake and forest nearby. There's a doggy daycare nearby who also offers to pick them up for walks during the day (it's nice to know the options, we can't both be home all the time), a vet across the road, and a puppy training school that meets up down the road...
    so... does anyone have ideas about what kind of breeds we should be looking at? (Yes, we've considdered adoption, but the shelters here generally don't want first time owners)
    I've looked at poodles, but suspect they need more space than we can offer. Greyhounds, they might be ok with an appartment as long as they get good long walks? But I can't find a breeder that seems ok (we have dkk which is an organization for breeders, that have very strict rules about health and enviorment and such, and thy don't have any greyhounds listed).
    and coton de tulear, mostly because one of my friends has the sweetest little cottonball, and the personality seems to be very easygoing...
    but I'm very open to suggestions.
    You remind me of the babe
    What babe?
    The babe with the power
    What power?
    The Power of voodoo
    Who do?
    You do!
    Do what?
    Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Re: beginner dogs?

You really should look into breeds,for a service dog(what they are called when they are for conditions,even anxiety,many Veterans have them for PTSD) Almost like a seeing eye dog with training. Some breeds make better service dogs. Temperament is a big concern.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
      You really should look into breeds,for a service dog(what they are called when they are for conditions,even anxiety,many Veterans have them for PTSD) Almost like a seeing eye dog with training. Some breeds make better service dogs. Temperament is a big concern.
      I've had that thought too. I looked up therapy dogs, and found greyhoundsand poodles on the list of dogs that make good therapy dogs. Most of the ones listed are just really big. But yes, we'retrying to steer clear of the ones that might be a bit high strung. My anxiety attacks aren't of a dramatic sort, I mostly cry a lot, but I wouldn't want the poor thing to be a shaking wreck because of me.
      What babe?
      The babe with the power
      What power?
      The Power of voodoo
      Who do?
      You do!
      Do what?
      Remind me of the babe!

Comment

We had a lady living here that was blind,and her dog was VERY well trained.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Guide dogs have to be the ones I've met have been golden retrievers or labradors mostly. I just don't know if they would work in a smaller livingspace...
          What babe?
          The babe with the power
          What power?
          The Power of voodoo
          Who do?
          You do!
          Do what?
          Remind me of the babe!

Comment

There are smaller breeds that train well,shelties kind of like a collie lite are used in herding sheep.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
              There are smaller breeds that train well,shelties kind of like a collie lite are used in herding sheep.
              They train well, but don't they need some living space? They seem to be very high energy levels. I'll look into them though I could very well be wrong.
              What babe?
              The babe with the power
              What power?
              The Power of voodoo
              Who do?
              You do!
              Do what?
              Remind me of the babe!

Comment

See a link here.

One of the most popular breeds for therapy dogs are Shetland Sheepdogs. This breed is extremely intelligent, so they can easily be trained in any required therapy functions But, even more importantly, they are sweet and gentle. Because Shelties are very playful and lively, they do especially well with children and with assisting in physical therapy sessions.
                Pic to see size.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Iris - You'll absolutely love having a dog. I can't help you is selecting a breed - K'Roe and I are very easy going and we have lots of space, so we just pick up a dog at the animal shelter and adapt to the dog .

But, for you, here is a search engine into which you can input your needs and it will suggest breeds that match:

http://www.animalplanet.com/breed-se...tml?question=1
                  Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Thanks anu i knew they were bright, but I didn't know they made that good therapy dogs. The size is perfect for here.

Oh corbin, I envy you a bit wish we could do that. We want to move somewhere bigger, but it will be a few years. And I don't want to wait a few years getting a dog if I can help it.
                    Cool, I'll look at that later. Tanks!
                    Last edited by iris; 03 Jun 2016, 02:21.
                    What babe?
                    The babe with the power
                    What power?
                    The Power of voodoo
                    Who do?
                    You do!
                    Do what?
                    Remind me of the babe!

Comment

Dogs are such great animals. I have had them all my life. Do some research on the dog breeds. I personally have Yorkshire Terriers and I love them to death. I hope you find the right breed for you!
                      Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

We have always gotten our dogs from the pound. The staff could tell you which ones are the best trained and they are not as prone to the illnesses the pure breeds have. I love Lab and Shepard mixes. No house breaking either.

Comment

Shelties are wonderful! A lifelong friend of mine has 3. The long hair requires a daily brushing (which some people find soothing) - so consider those factors. Greyhounds are excellent therapy dogs but mostly come from racing rescue/retirement, so I don't know if you have that where you live.
                          sigpic
                          Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

For my first dog, I adopted a husky-shephard cross. I've heard they don't make a good beginner dog, and he's certainly stubborn, pig-headed, and full of energy...but I can't imagine owning anything but a husky.

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
                              Shelties are wonderful! A lifelong friend of mine has 3. The long hair requires a daily brushing (which some people find soothing) - so consider those factors. Greyhounds are excellent therapy dogs but mostly come from racing rescue/retirement, so I don't know if you have that where you live.
                              I don't mind the brushing I'll look more into them
                              we actually don't have greyhound racing here, not on any high level anyway, so they're being bred more as family dogs, I've looked around and found a few respectable breeders. But I don't think I can find anywhere to let them run free, and they need that.
                              What babe?
                              The babe with the power
                              What power?
                              The Power of voodoo
                              Who do?
                              You do!
                              Do what?
                              Remind me of the babe!

Comment

Working...