U.S. Navy bans booze in Japan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

U.S. Navy bans booze in Japan

I am not pro or con on this issue,but from my personal memory of being in port in YAKOSKA,there is a whole section in town where bars line the streets mainly serving AND depending on Navy patrons to stay in business.

So story here.

The whole thing stems from people drinking,and doing really stupid things.

I would like to follow how well this goes down.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Re: U.S. Navy bans booze in Japan

This stuff happens all the time.

A bunvh of people screw up. No one gets to drink or go out until everyone gets a talking to. Then they lift the restrictions.

Comment

It has to do with a major blowback where a female Japanese dies.

and here is just what you said.

The Navy said that only essential travel would be allowed off base. That restriction would remain in effect until "face-to-face" training had taken place between all unit commanders and their sailors, it said.

There was an incident in Subic PI where a marine shot a Philippine local that stole something and ran,the Marine a guard at the base kinda did what he was told was his duty.

The locals rose up and demanded his head... a few years after that the Philippines powers that be forced Clark Air base and the Naval repair facility out of the Philippines.
      Now that China is acting up,they want us back.
      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I think the eruption of Pinatubo is what forced us out of Clark and Subic / Cubi got hit pretty hard as well by the ash fallout. So the government bickering surely pushed it forward but the economic cost to repair and clean up those bases I think is what put the death touch to any talks. Though from picture's i've seen there were a lot of changes that went down at Subic & Cubi hardly looks like the old base anymore.

All the incidents on Okinawa continue to contribute and drive the response between US forces in Japan, our SOFA agreements and how Tokyo has to act. Yakosuka was an interesting base and already had a lot of rules in place. Recall gate guards had standing orders to prevent anyone not wearing a collared shirt from going off base while I was down there. Definitely very different from northern Japan where I was stationed on an Air Force base at the time.

The restriction might lighten up once the safety / security standdowns are done but it still will not be like it was before the incident. That's the one constant that has always been in place regarding our oversea's installations. Normal Operations / Liberty > Incident > stand-down > response > change > Normal Operations / Liberty, as cyclic as it comes. That's why liberty policy changed in Japan a few years ago and Navy wide after that. Want liberty submit your liberty plan, destination and liberty buddies name(s) and drum the fear of an alcohol incident into their heads. That started coming into practice even back in 2001 when I retired.
        I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Working...
        X