This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Human sacrifice: What's it good for?

Every so often the idea of "human sacrifice" comes up, prolly because it was so very common in the ancient world, and many pagans are enamored to the ancient world, and thus need to come to some sort of grip with human sacrifice.

Personally (full disclosure) I think it's a crappy thing to do and one of those things best left in the dumpster of history without an excuse pinned to it's blanky.

So... here is an interesting article about human sacrifice, and the purpose it may have served - in at least some cultures:

How human sacrifice helped to enforce social inequality

Here is the conclusion, for those with no time to wade through the data:

Religion is often un-falsifiable, and can express all-too-human whims. When religious truth is placed in the hands of a powerful social elite, religion can become a tool for nothing more high-minded than building and maintaining social control. That control is most vividly and bloodily seen through the widespread use of ritualised human sacrifice.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Re: Human sacrifice: What's it good for?

Hmmm,burning people alive...and not done by a primitive group..but by what is described as,in their very own words The Mother Church" It does seem to fit your quote there B. De.

Religion is often un-falsifiable, and can express all-too-human whims. When religious truth is placed in the hands of a powerful social elite, religion can become a tool for nothing more high-minded than building and maintaining social control. That control is most vividly and bloodily seen through the widespread use of ritualised human sacrifice.

Inquisition springs to mind...and as it comes here to America,dunking,pressing and burning at the stake...
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Wasn't the Inquisition a way of maintaining social control?
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

It very much seemed to be that to me..Also the way people were executed in England,the Rack,the disemboweling thing.

Site that has a list.

There was a method I believe was Islamic where the person was welded into a cage,and hung along the road,and if anyone had pity(like giving water or food) they would have it done to them also.
        Last edited by anunitu; 09 Jun 2016, 04:34.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

It seems a classic case of an anthropologist wanting to "explain" religious practices in terms of something else.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidMcCann View Post
            It seems a classic case of an anthropologist wanting to "explain" religious practices in terms of something else.
            Yeah?

And the author's ideas are wrong because...?

Comment

Social institutions such as religion have always been a form of instituting societal control-human sacrifice being an extreme example. When I took World Civilizations way back in college something that struck me is how most, if not all, civilizations have had a centralized religion. It looks as if religion was a prerequisite for civilization to begin. It makes sense.

Only recently has the notion of a secular State taken flight. We now worship the mall and the market.
              Last edited by ThePaganMafia; 09 Jun 2016, 11:05.

Comment

People get whammied by mother nature.
                People ask their god to help.
                No help comes.
                I know! Let's kill that virgin!
                Problem solved.
                Duh.
                Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                  People get whammied by mother nature.
                  People ask their god to help.
                  No help comes.
                  I know! Let's kill that virgin!
                  Problem solved.
                  Duh.
                  Terrible waste of virgins.

Comment

Yes you dumb swimmer,she was only playing at being passed out,it was a TRAP!!!!!!!now she will shackle you in her basement and tell you to put the lotion on its body.

- - - Updated - - -

I thinks I need a cleaning in my mind and a quick blow dry and a fluff in my brain.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Can we please have ONE pagan discussion that does not get derailed with unrelated news/politics/current events.

Yes, Corbin and Anunitu, my laser canons are pointed in YOUR direction.

If you want to discuss the Stanford swimmer rape thing... go and talk about in in the thread dedicated to it. Do not bring that BS in here.

Considering the topic of 'Human Sacrifice' is on the staff list of 'least favourite topics that can be killed on sight depending on our mood', this thread is now hanging by the skin of it's teeth. Anyone put another foot wrong in here and I will burn it down. As it stands, MO may decide to come and burn it down anyway.

Now carry on. Carefully.

Comment

OK...

Human sacrifice is icky, I'm against it, and I agree with the author of the article that I used to open this thread - it is a form of forcing others into submission.

P.S. Can we have a list of the banned topics so nobody else ends up with foot-in-mouth disease?
                        Last edited by B. de Corbin; 10 Jun 2016, 01:34.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                          OK...

Human sacrifice is icky, I'm against it, and I agree with the author of the article that I used to open this thread - it is a form of forcing others into submission.

P.S. Can we have a list of the banned topics so nobody else ends up with foot-in-mouth disease?
                          The thread topic wouldn't make it and isn't the core of Rae'ya's irritation. The not-quite-a-page derail is.

The actual formal banned (as in, it gets axe murdered on sight, no warnings, no chances) list is appilcable only to debates (or threads that we deem to be acting as debates even if they aren't in the debate section) and is posted there. Human sacrifice is a more nebulous case in that it's allowed, there isn't a current major push to ban it but a collective wince goes through the staff when it appears. Topics provoking that reaction net enhanced scrutiny and tend to fall in a position of "warnings are given if anyone is willing to monitor, if no one wants to monitor then first substantive screw-up equals thread death so that we don't get migraines".

Now I'm on my vacation and in a vastly more forgiving mood than normal. Rae'ya also appears to think this thread doesn't require death right now. I'm in no mood to overrule her. Carry on, without the derail.
                          life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

It can be a cotraversial topic,and it would not be out of order if it went to sleep...just my feeling..I would not miss it. And B. De. could start a different path with no controversy.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                              The thread topic wouldn't make it and isn't the core of Rae'ya's irritation. The not-quite-a-page derail is.

The actual formal banned (as in, it gets axe murdered on sight, no warnings, no chances) list is appilcable only to debates (or threads that we deem to be acting as debates even if they aren't in the debate section) and is posted there. Human sacrifice is a more nebulous case in that it's allowed, there isn't a current major push to ban it but a collective wince goes through the staff when it appears. Topics provoking that reaction net enhanced scrutiny and tend to fall in a position of "warnings are given if anyone is willing to monitor, if no one wants to monitor then first substantive screw-up equals thread death so that we don't get migraines".
                              Thank you for clarification.

Comment

Working...
                              X