Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Derailment du jour and you

Copper Member
    Apr 2014
    Religion
    That one where I can play with live snakes and speak gibberish.

Derailment du jour and you

I don't get it. Human conversation naturally evolves and changes. What is the big deal? Why is the control of free flow of thought so important. And if it is what is the point of a forum?

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Re: Human sacrifice: What's it good for?

Quote Originally Posted by ThePaganMafia View Post
    I don't get it. Human conversation naturally evolves and changes.
    Then start a new topic.

Derailment is one thing when its one or two posts--not when it's one or two pages.

What is the big deal? Why is the control of free flow of thought so important.
    Because, for those of us that *have* to read every topic, it's frigging annoying when everything and its mother's cousin's dog's flea to turn into a political debate/rant/shitstorm. Or a big pile of degenerative name calling to clean up after the fact. Because in over a decade of doing this, we know what works and what turns into a supernova of turning decent people into jerks. Because asking grown adults to stay reasonably on topic when we have oh-so-many threads where you can deviate to your heart's content should be a perfectly reasonable request. Because it's not that hard to say, "Hey, can a mod start a new topic on X?" or "Wow, I really thought that point was so interesting that I started a new topic (follow link here)."

This is not, and never has been, under *any* of its management, a free speech zone--we tried that experiment for a week or so and true free speech got too many people's into very big wads and turned everyone into slavering beasts. If Rok would have gotten his way, 90% of the forum would have been banned. It is a privately owned entity and the people that clean up the messes when members lose their manners and their minds aren't paid. So whatever annoys them the least in their pitiful free time is what we go with here.

And if it is what is the point of a forum?
    Well, this is a PAGAN form. And for a PAGAN forum, we sure seem to have an overabundance of not even remotely Pagan topics and a serious dearth of even remotely Pagan ones. 1) It scares away the newbies. 2) There are totally political bitchfit forums (and every other kind of forum out there) for your free flow of whatever thought you can think of --and if you can't find one that suits you, try facebook...its devolved into that over the past few months anyhow.

This *was* actually a Pagan topic for once...
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Copper Member
    Apr 2014
    Religion
    That one where I can play with live snakes and speak gibberish.

Re: Derailment du jour and you

I never said anything about free speech. I am not quite ignorant on that concept. I just said I don't get it. Which is honest. I don't get it. But, I understand your position. Thank you for calrifying.

I even had a constructive comment on the thread in question about the role of religion in the rise of civilization. Which I think would be an excellent diacussion to have if anyones interested.

Edit: I didn't start this thread. I've been framed.
    Last edited by ThePaganMafia; 10 Jun 2016 at 17:30.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    Phrase

I moved it so we could stop derailing the other thread...which I was actually interested in.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Oct 2005
    Religion
    Phrase

Double posting to add that I would be interested in discussion the rise of civilization and the role of religion--I think its a very important one, both in terms of biological evolution (that let religion develop) and early cultural evolution (which I think allowed further biological evolution and further cultural evolution).

~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

Jun 2013
    Religion
    Northern Tradition Shaminist Demonolator. Or something along those lines...

Quote Originally Posted by ThePaganMafia View Post
    I even had a constructive comment on the thread in question about the role of religion in the rise of civilization. Which I think would be an excellent diacussion to have if anyones interested.
    This right here is the reason that I, personally, come down so hard on prolonged derailment. Because if we allow two pages worth of inane back and forth (on a topic that already has it's own thread) then you don't get to make constructive comments on interesting topics, and excellent discussion on interesting topics doesn't get to happen. Because then the topic dies before it even begins, because no one wants to come in with the serious comment after two pages of inanity.

Is that what you want?

Now, if the derailment had been something like the role of religion in the rise of civilisation... that's a good example of a perfectly acceptable derailment that I (and I'm fairly sure most of the staff) would leave well enough alone. If it got big enough, or if someone made a request, I'd split it into it's own topic so that we could then continue to have not one, but two excellent pagan discussions.

So the lesson here is that the natural evolution of conversation is only squashed when it's irrelevant, inane, snarky, inappropriate, breaking forum rules or killing a topic that we think is beneficial to the forum as a whole. Constructive evolution of conversation is welcomed with open arms and does not get squashed but may get moved to it's own thread in order to facilitate further discussion.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

Perhaps a totally off the hook thread pinned for those moments when our minds wander,that could perhaps leave a link if anyone finds the matter of interest.
    A button perhaps?
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

Oct 2005
    Religion
    Phrase

Quote Originally Posted by anunitu View Post
    Perhaps a totally off the hook thread pinned for those moments when our minds wander,that could perhaps leave a link if anyone finds the matter of interest.
    A button perhaps?
    Its called the "What are you thinking" thread, and there's a think on your browser called a "favorites" list...

With that being said, once something gets beyond 2-3 posts of off topic nonsense in a thread that is *actually* about a subject, its time to get over it. Its one thing to make a joke, its another thing to respond to the joke, but at some point, take your one liner (in an actual topic) and ADD SOMETHING OF SUBSTANCE TO IT. We are now at the point that I can't even figure out what some threads are supposed to be about, or where the posts are for the actual subject of the conversation.

Because if the public at large can't control themselves, and we have to do it, its going to be terrible and tyrannical. I promise you that. Like I tell my kids, if you can't control yourself and I have to do it for you, life will suck for you as sheer punishment for making me do something I don't want to do.
    Last edited by thalassa; 16 Jun 2016 at 04:21.

~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

I might remind that when I tried to get one thread back on topic I was chastised severely,because the person who was derailing turned ME in...

- - - Updated - - -

And yes I did admit I was a bit to forceful in my attempt,and I have not done even a small suggestion since.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

Oct 2005
    Religion
    Phrase

I don't really care who did what, when, where, whatever.

Just stop doing it. If someone else is doing it, just ignore them, and get back on topic. Let the moderators moderate--we have multiple timezones of people that keep strange hours, eventually someone will take care of it. Unless of course, it is prohibitively funny and you sprayed your beverage du jour all over your monitor--in which case, a quick written high five for creativity and wit, followed up by something like, "And back on the subject at hand...." may be perfectly appropriate. But we are at the point where this lasts over a page of the thread, sometimes more. That's ridiculous.

We have threads in place for banter, use them.
    Last edited by thalassa; 16 Jun 2016 at 04:50.

~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee