Terrorism in Orlando kills 20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Terrorism in Orlando kills 20

No - not "radical Muslums." I am waiting to see what kind of terrorism this is - it is, appaerently anti-gay, but will it be Christian terrorism, Conservative terrorism, or a case of mental illness, or what?

From the article:

Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Re: Terrorism in Orlando kills 20

Saw a news report that the gunman has been identified as Omar Mateen and another report about Islamic terrorist sympathies.
    Last edited by thalassa; 12 Jun 2016, 05:24.
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

From your link:

When asked if the FBI suspected that the gunman may have an extremist leanings, including a possible sympathy with Islamic State
      I don't know where you are getting the idea that the shooter definitely, or even probably, wasn't a radical Muslim from. Didn't get that impression from any of the articles I've read, again, including the one you linked.

Edit:

Perhaps the article you linked was updated since you posted, and it did imply or state that before.
      Last edited by Denarius; 12 Jun 2016, 05:31.
      Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
        Saw a news report that the gunman has been identified as Omar Mateen and another report about Islamic terrorist sympathies.

Oh crap. Xoxoxo

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
        From your link:

I don't know where you are getting the idea that the shooter definitely, or even probably, wasn't a radical Muslim from. Didn't get that impression from any of the articles I've read, again, including the one you linked.

Edit:

Perhaps the article you linked was updated since you posted, and it did imply or state that before.
        Lay it on. Bad Karma incurred for thinking politics before compassion.
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
          Lay it on. Bad Karma incurred for thinking politics before compassion.
          I don't understand what you mean by this, can you clarify?
          Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

How awful for everyone who was there and their loved ones. The pro and anti gun people are going to be out in full force, and the white anti-gays will be a little confused due to the nationality of the shooter. Hopefully those two hatreds will cancel each other out.
            sigpic
            Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
              I don't understand what you mean by this, can you clarify?
              I get bad Karma, for which I pay for wrong thinking. You delivered it. I accept as my due. That's all.
              Last edited by B. de Corbin; 12 Jun 2016, 06:05.

Comment

Evidently it's starting to look like he's American but his parents are from Afghanistan. But it's still a developing story.

Would add its 50 dead and 53 injured according to the latest report I read.
                Last edited by monsno_leedra; 12 Jun 2016, 06:56.
                I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

The rhetoric begins.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePaganMafia View Post
                    The rhetoric begins.
                    Screw the rhetoric. Death toll is up to 50, 53 critically injured, and is the worst mass shooting in U.S. History.

Comment

Well, the rhetoric is important because rhetoric inspires emotions, hate, and negative action. Changes in rhetoric dependent on the shooters background are also interesting.

So, Omar Mateen's parents have apologized and said religious ideology had nothing to do with the attack. He became angered several months ago when his three year old son saw two men kissing. He's from New York. He was also a notary in Florida and a security guard. Just what I have found via the Google.
                      Last edited by ThePaganMafia; 12 Jun 2016, 07:34.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePaganMafia View Post
                        So, Omar Mateen's parents have apologized and said religious ideology had nothing to do with the attack. He became angered several months ago when his three year old son saw two men kissing. He's from New York. He was also a notary in Florida and a security guard. Just what I have found via the Google.
                        Hmm... Interesting. So "Omar" does not equal "Muslim terrorist"

Comment

I'll be the one to say it--this is what happens when you like in a country that abhors civility and compromise and loves restricting every amendment of its founding ideals (sometimes in quite reasonable ways) but one. Whether extremism played a role in this or not, I'm willing to say a flawed view of religion's teachings most certainly did...and in that vein, it could just have easily been a Christian going coocoo.
                          Last edited by thalassa; 12 Jun 2016, 08:00.
                          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                          sigpic

Comment

CNN mentioned that people were going in there to "clean up". I can't even imagine how traumatic that kind of thing must be, no matter how someone is trained.
                            sigpic
                            Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

It appears that a planned attack was prevented at the Gay Pride rally in L.A.

Comment

Working...
                              X