'Gospel of Jesus's Wife': Insane backstory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Gospel of Jesus's Wife': Insane backstory

A tiny manuscript fragment in which Jesus is quoted as refering to "my wife" has been the object of much debate about whether it is authentic, or a forgery.

Here's some crazy info about the provenance of the fragment. Really, this is interesting, and bizzare:

Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Re: 'Gospel of Jesus's Wife': Insane backstory

From this article alone, sounds like a forgery. Red flags all around Fritz. I hope he doesn't take down too many people with this.

Would be interesting if true, but I'm not sure that it would be enough to change anything.

Comment

I actually don't know what to say about this...
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

I loved this article. Took me an hour to read it in between dealing with kids. What a story!!! Almost unbelievable.

Comment

Originally posted by Azvanna View Post
          I loved this article. Took me an hour to read it in between dealing with kids. What a story!!! Almost unbelievable.
          Right? It defies every inch of parsimony one can grasp...
          Last edited by thalassa; 24 Jun 2016, 15:06.
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

If you write fiction, you have to make it believable. But the truth is a whole 'nother ball o' wax .
            Last edited by B. de Corbin; 24 Jun 2016, 15:41.
            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
              Right? It defies every inch of parsimony one can grasp...
              I had to look up parsimony!
              Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
              If you write fiction, you have to make it believable. But the truth is a whole 'nother ball o' wax .
              A few times in the article, I kept waiting for the 'and then I woke up' moment. You can't make this stuff up! I actually have to ask... Is this happening right now?

Comment

I think it was about a year ago that I read about the attempts to authenticate the document, so yup, this is current.

Here's an article from August, 2015 on livescience:

New research on the papyrus' ink points to the possibility that the Gospel of Jesus's Wife is authentic, while newly obtained documents may shed light on the origins of the business-card-sized fragment.

P.S. I had to look up parsimony too, because, although I know the word, I didn't know the definition as Thalassa was using it...
                Last edited by B. de Corbin; 25 Jun 2016, 01:07.

Comment

P.S. I had to look up parsimony too, because, although I know the word, I didn't know the definition as Thalassa was using it...
                  (I do love the 2nd definitions...)

On one hand, I think it would be awesome if it was real. The diversity of early Christianity was pretty amazing. On the other hand, it wouldn't do anything to change things. Believers (either way) don't actually care about the facts. They arrange their facts to suit their beliefs, and not the other way around.
                  sigpic

Comment

There are known Gnostic texts that place Mary as the reciever of a secret teaching (Gospel of Mary, Gospel of Thomas, both from the Nag Hammadi find), but they are non-canonical - Gnostic gospels (with the possible exception of the Gospel of John, which is very gnostic-like) are considered heretical.

And the known history of early Christianity does have women playing a role equal to men - early Christians drew lots to determine who would serve as priest, so, yeah, it wouldn't make much difference.

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                      (I do love the 2nd definitions...)

On one hand, I think it would be awesome if it was real. The diversity of early Christianity was pretty amazing. On the other hand, it wouldn't do anything to change things. Believers (either way) don't actually care about the facts. They arrange their facts to suit their beliefs, and not the other way around.
                      A second definition?? Looked it up again! And Occam's razor. Must admit, there's a lot of fishy circumstances but nothing empirical(?).

Saying believers arrange facts to suit their beliefs... Hm. Yes I'd have to agree with that. I really don't want to, but the results (millions of interpretations of the Bible resulting in doctrinal differences) say otherwise. Is like to hear more people confess that they really can't know for sue, they just believe this.... That's closer really to what every person on a spiritual quest does. Then maybe we could see more common ground emerging.

Comment

There are known Gnostic texts that place Mary as the reciever of a secret teaching (Gospel of Mary, Gospel of Thomas, both from the Nag Hammadi find), but they are non-canonical - Gnostic gospels (with the possible exception of the Gospel of John, which is very gnostic-like) are considered heretical.

And the known history of early Christianity does have women playing a role equal to men - early Christians drew lots to determine who would serve as priest, so, yeah, it wouldn't make much difference.
                        Lots were drawn to appoint Barnabus as the 12th Apostle after Judas's suicide... Then Saul converted and it always seemed to me that he should have been the 12th. Though he himself rebuked other believers for saying so. But this is a good example of 'suit yourself' beliefs that Thalassa mentioned below. Divination, though forbidden, is sanctioned in this circumstance...

Comment

There is a lot of evidence even in the "accepted" New Testament the Jesus (Yesuah) was married. In those days in order to be a Rabbi one had to be married and usually that meant with children. I have heard the arguments that it was just a title that his friends used for him but that would have gone completely against the Jewish faith and tradition of the time. To be a Rabbi one must be a teacher and a teacher must know life and religion.

What really matters in all of this is that the Christians have their beliefs and the Bible serves as proof. The way it is interpreted by the church is what people in the church are taught. Since it is "The Written Word of God" it provides all the proof they need. If it doesn't fit, or you can't find an answer you get told that "some things have to be taken as faith.
                          The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
                          I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Originally posted by DragonsFriend View Post
                            In those days in order to be a Rabbi one had to be married and usually that meant with children.
                            Do you remember where you learned this, Dragonsfriend? I've not heard it said before, but that doesn't mean much! I did a quick search and could only glean that it was encouraged, but not a requirement.

Comment

This idea that rabbis had to be married, that Jesus was called rabbi, and ergo Jesus had to be married, is a myth proposed by those who want to perpetuate their Married Jesus myth.

Frankly I couldn't give a monkey's uncle if Jesus existed, let alone was married, so I don't have a dog in this fight. However, not only was the term "rabbi" not formalized in this era, but there is absolutely no requirement of people called rabbi to be married. Indeed, many who would be called rabbi by standard today, the pharisees, were not called rabbi. It does not stand to reason that Jesus had to fit the modern idea of a rabbi, let alone be married.

Ask your local synagogue if you will doubt this, rather than the internet!
                              Last edited by Briton; 26 Jun 2016, 02:19.
                              I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
                              Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
                              But that day you know I left my money
                              And I thought of you only
                              All that copper glowing fine

Comment

Working...
                              X