Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Developing a Relationship with the Home

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Shamanist Witch with heady Celtic notes and a faint wiccan bouquet

Developing a Relationship with the Home

Quote Originally Posted by thalassa View Post
    ...She also has a nice little exercise that could be expanded into a meditation or ritual for really ,*thinking* about your home and it's meaning and thanking it...which I think might make an interesting topic on its own, if anyone is interested.
    Sure! This is something that very much resonates with my own experiences. I've mentioned in the past that I speak to our flat and that it answers me too. JP even started asking nicely when the toilet light wouldn't switch off because he saw that it kept working for me so gave it a go himself!

I've tried a few times to give it a name so I don't have to keep calling it 'flat', but nothing has ever really stuck. It's a lovely idea though. The spirits of the flat have a collective name at least.
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

May 2012
    Religion
    Optimistic Agnostic
    Phrase
    Suspend Judgement

Re: Druidry and Druidism for Beginners

Quote Originally Posted by Jembru View Post
    . I've mentioned in the past that I speak to our flat and that it answers me too.
    So glad I'm not the only one who feels this way! Our home definitely has its own personality. I am the fourth lady in a row to have a baby while living here. I feel it loves families and loves it when I clean its floors. Almost like a dog or a horse enjoying the rub down.

I liked the idea of starting out being a Druid in the home. I'd like to learn more about that actually. Is it about home-making skills? Eg choice of scented oils, setting the tone of the relationships, intent while cleaning etc?

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Re: Druidry and Druidism for Beginners

Quote Originally Posted by Azvanna View Post
    I liked the idea of starting out being a Druid in the home. I'd like to learn more about that actually. Is it about home-making skills? Eg choice of scented oils, setting the tone of the relationships, intent while cleaning etc?

It could be, but some of that depends on an individual's ideas of what Druidry *is* (the defining Druidry argument). In the case of this particular author (Penny Billington), she leans more (as far as I can tell based on her writing ) to "Revival" Druidry, rather than a more Celtic and reconstructive Druidry (such as that found withinADF).

Its a matter of (to borrow an idea) mindfulness, but also of reenchanting the mundane---maybe to say that we ought to be observing and connecting to the liminality of that which is sacred and profane (and by profane I mean common and not naughty), because sacred vs profane is merely a matter of attitude (rather than an intrinsic property). That skill can be in home-making skills (when we are talking about the home)--that we should be purposeful and purposed in what we keep, how we decorate, etc as well as in our every day activities.

Specifically, her point is that if one is a Druid, it is about being a Druid wherever you are (and not just when you go outside in a thicket somewhere)--that, I think it the point of starting at home, where one is most likely to revert back to their non-spiritual self. For many Druids that lean more towards forms of revival-style Druidry, its a matter of philosophy--almost like a European version of Taosim, in a way (hence my joke about the Tao te Tree). The idea of (magical or spiritual) intention in the home though, can be applied anywhere.

(I'll split this now)
    Last edited by thalassa; 26 Jun 2016 at 11:26.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Oct 2010
    Religion
    solitary pagan witch with a strong interest in Anglo Saxons
    Phrase
    Phantom Turnips never die. They just get stewed occasionally....

Re: Developing a Relationship with the Home

I talk to our home too. I often put my hands, palms facing outwards, so they rest against the walls and thank it for looking after us and sheltering us...
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

May 2005
    Religion
    LaVeyan Satanist
    Phrase
    A Clockwork orange

Our home likes to turn the kitchen light on even though I distinctly remember turning it off. It only does this when I'm home alone.

I'm scurred.
    Satan is my spirit animal

Dec 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan/Stregheria

I say thank you to the furnace, a/c, appliances, etc. all the time. I'm still in awe of having my own washer & dryer.

Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

May 2013
    Religion
    Shamanic Practitioner & Green / Hedge Witch with Hellenic leanings
    Phrase
    Can't never did nothing till it tried!

Have to admit at times I am never sure if the house has its own spirit and "life" or if it's the land spirits that reside on the land and within the house that are causing things to happen. Sort of loosely the idea of a Happy Wife means a Happy Home but in this case a happy land spirit means a happy and peaceful home.

Though have to admit I see many things in the concept of the Manitou or spirit. As such all things can have their own spirit. Even manmade items can be possessed or enpowered with a manitou.
    Last edited by monsno_leedra; 26 Jun 2016 at 13:04.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Most of my appliances have names. The apartment, not so much...but the appliances have moved with us time, and time again (with the exception of the stove). So does my main tea pot.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Feb 2013
    Religion
    Old Customs
    Phrase
    Damn somebody's eyes

Quote Originally Posted by monsno_leedra View Post
    Have to admit at times I am never sure if the house has its own spirit and "life" or if it's the land spirits that reside on the land and within the house that are causing things to happen. Sort of loosely the idea of a Happy Wife means a Happy Home but in this case a happy land spirit means a happy and peaceful home.

Though have to admit I see many things in the concept of the Manitou or spirit. As such all things can have their own spirit. Even manmade items can be possessed or enpowered with a manitou.
    In the Northern Way, there are Husvaetter (house wights) and Landvaetter (land wights). Land wights basically stay in one place, house wights generally move with you, and might be passed from generation to generation.
    I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country

“Barbarianism is the natural state of mankind. Civilization is unnatural. It is the whim of circumstance. And barbarianism must ultimately triumph.” - Robert E. Howard

Clan of my Clan
    Kin of my Kin
    Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
    And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

I was reading an interesting bit about the ethics of saying "thank you" to talking tech, like Siri.

It ranged from "setting a good example of politeness for your children" (it's good) to "it personifies inanimate technology and therefor devalues humans" (it's bad) with stuff like "as AI is developed, will it be treated like a companion or a slave?" in between.

I wish I could find it again...

Personally, I don't thank my machinery (any talking tech I have has been muted), but I do offer up a daily morning prayer for the coffee maker ("Thank God!"), and call down an occassional curse on the car ("God Dammit!").
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.