Re: Silicone tea infusers

Hmm I'll have to try that.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Stainless Steel does corrode...particularly in the presence of chlorine ions (so salt or bleach), and high moisture or low oxygen environments.

I have a set of WWII stainless Steel USN utensils, and the knives have some pitting damage
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Copper Member
    Sep 2015
    Religion
    Arratu - based on Sumer 4500 to 1800BCE

I believe I said it didn't tarnish. There are different alloys of stainless. the 300 series allows are mostly unaffected by salt but concentrated liquid chlorine can etch and pit it. the 400 series stainless that is used for knives and surgical scalpels will corrode much more easily as it has carbon to make it hard enough for its uses. The 200 series stainless is not used much anymore because it was very soft in its annealed form but work hardened so quickly that it would become brittle and crack.
    Some stainless alloys will pit and be etched by chlorine (that includes salt water or salt). The pitting is erosion of the alloy and shows no tarnish discoloration in the process.
    I have never used chlorine or salt in my tea but if you do then perhaps stainless is not the product to use unless you rinse it very well after each use.
    There is the possibility that if you are not on a well for your water there may be enough chlorine added to your water that if left in cool water it could pit the stainless. In hot water the chlorine evaporates into the air and won't harm the tea ball.
    Still, cleaning it with vinegar or lemon juice will keep it bright.

lady sings the blues DanieMarie's Avatar
    Oct 2009
    Religion
    Solitary Pagan

I have a few tea infusers. Two of them are stainless steel and one is silicone. I find the silicone one sturdy, but I also find that it makes my tea taste kind of plasticy and I don't really like it. I find I use it the least out of all the ones I have.

My steel ones don't seem to corrode. We have really, really hard water here, but they are still fairly shiny. I don't know how they stay this way, though.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsFriend View Post
    I believe I said it didn't tarnish.
    And I didn't say otherwise, though both are oxidative processes. And yes,, depending on your water source, water can have a quite high total dissolved solids content, which includes salts (and are present in almost all natural water sources).

Here, water is provided by an aquifer with a high chloride conted due to two plumes under either end of the aquifer. It also has a noticible sulfur content, and (while not over the TDS regulations) is on the higher end of total dissolved solids for tap water. Oxidative damage is quite common to Cheap $h!t, of all sorts, here...a problem we reallt didn't have where we lived before.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible