This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DruidCraft (book)

I am loving DruidCraft by Philip Carr-Gomm. As we have a thread for discussing the book Neolithic Shamanism, I thought I might start one for this book too. I know Thal has been reading it because it was a quote she shared from the book that inspired me to order a copy myself. It seems to be a pretty popular book so maybe some others have read it too.

Carr-Gomm attempts to recreate for the reader the feeling of attending an ancient bardic school that he names Arvronelle and I think he achieves this very well, at least for me. The lessons within the school therefore begin with a bardic tale, a retelling of a Celtic myth. This story is then followed by what he calls the colloquy, a sort of Socratic dialogue designed to get you thinking about the teachings that are embedded in the story. He deliberately keeps his own notes scarce in order to allow the reader to draw their own conclusions and find their own lessons in the story. You are then encouraged to use what you've learnt with a practical exercise and he finally gives you a short explanation of the historical evidence for the suggestions given in the lesson.

What I love about this approach is not only the originality of the teaching methods employed but that it is training me to be able to look at other tales with a similar mindset. So I can explore by myself not only the surviving Celtic tales, but the hidden wisdom that exists in many modern stories. After all, most modern stories are just a retelling of a story that has been told many times over. It all ties in nicely to my egregore work.

To those who have read this book, I invite you to share your own thoughts on the material. Do you take objection to any of Carr-Gomm's claims? Did you find any different or deeper meanings in the stories used in the lessons? Has the book inspired any changes in the way you practice your own spirituality?

It's a short book, but I have decided to take my time over each chapter, giving myself time to contemplate and play around with the ideas from each lesson before moving onto the next. I might pop back now and then to share my ideas if I have anything unique.
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?
Working...
X