HP's,THE MACHINE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP's,THE MACHINE

I just saw the first TV introduction on the Machine by HP. I have no idea if the hype will equal actual performance with this,BUT it seems HP is betting that this will cross a line of technology and become the future.

The video is 29 minutes,and attempts to explain how this "New" technology" works.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Re: HP's,THE MACHINE

Good technology!

Comment

I read they're having problems with the memrister and are changing this a bit. Meanwhile South Korea is taking strides with IoT http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-3...ource=facebook which is kinda freaky and Borg-ish to me.
      sigpic
      Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

I have been watching ans getting as much information about The Machine for a couple of months now. The system for storage doesn't use magnetics or transistors. The Machine uses Memristors that are a dipole electronic switches. In the same space that you can put 32Mb thumb drive you can have terabytes of memory with memristors. Accessing all that memory with wires would be impossible in any acceptable size of computer so they are using light to transmit data inside the new computer. The small lasers can carry billions of times the information that wires can and there are no electrons moving around the memory system to cause heat. They have figured out that they can put a terabyte of memory into a phone and still have "byte addressable" access times well below current standards. It is also important to know that The Machine doesn't use a CPU as such. The Machine has processors for different functions. It spreads the information load to dedicated processors for each task. The reduction in power necessary means that batteries will last 4-5 times as long. No cooling fans or heat build up problems for your laptop and the size can be shrunk as a result. The operating system is an Open Source project being developed by universities and open source software producers around the world. That means that you don't pay for the OS and that the Open Source world will have access to the OS in order to write applications that will likely be free as well. There are several contractors working on each part of the hardware and there are introductions, on a small scale, of parts of this project.
        This is the computer world that is primed to handle real AI. It is the next evolutionary step in computing.
        The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
        I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

It is it seems our future,as to if we will like it,that is another topic altogether. I am surprised HP would come out with TV ads if they have not locked everything down tight(might be vaporware) I would be very surprised if they spend a lot on TV ads for something that is just a pipe dream. BUT,it has happened in the past before(Not HP) but other things, Steve Jobs venture with NEXT that ended with him being brought back to Apple,as it almost went down.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

If this project fails it will mean the end of HP. 75% of the company's funds and the entire R&D team is working on this. They have had difficulty in mass producing the memristors but they are correcting that. This is a huge undertaking and a big risk but in the end it will pay off big because no other computer manufacturer will be able to compete. This is only the beginning of the third year of this project and they want to have a product demonstrator by years end. Think of it - brand new technology from concept to product in 3 years and on top of that building a completely new OS (because the structures and operations are completely new) to work with the new technology and applications to run in the new environment. All in three years? That is a HUGE undertaking. The cost for initial systems might even limit the market but as more Machines are sold the price will come down because it is going to be cheaper to mass produce and there are those who alway want the latest, fastest, tech they can get their hands on. If I deem the price is acceptable I would by one for my next desktop.
            The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.

Comment

As you said,if it fails,that is the end of HP. I imagine they are true "Believers",but other things have ended up Vaporware in the past. Duke Nukem Forever,took over 15 years to be completed and when it did come out,it was ignored,the DN fad had ended except in the persons head that did DNF.

So DNF here history.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

A 1st person game compares rather poorly to brand new hardware that requires a brand new OS and brand new software to run on it. There are no competitive OS's to switch to, there are no competing hardware manufacturers and there are no software developers that have to deal with changes in the software. The computer hardware is open sourced so that the OS developers can produce open source systems so that developers can produce open source applications for it. It is being financed by a company that once was the world leader in hardware technology. I think the Edsel from Ford would be a better analogy even though the evolutionary change in hardware was not there it was a good product , with an "over-the-top" ad campaign that was released just as a recession hit within the automotive industry.
                We can only hope that the computer industry can see the reality of the need for this new product and that they have enough time to get it to market before anyone else.

Comment

It is the concept that you can promise anything,but may be blowing smoke up every ones butt. Politicians are very adapt at this "Smoke and mirrors" approach. over a lot of our history as a country,there have been boondoggles over and over that were supposed to make us all more prosperous and better off,but seemed to vanish like a fart in the wind.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Working...
                  X