Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• God as a big bad scary sky boss with a harem

Interesting article:

Is God a silverback?: Protective, omnipotent, scary and very territorial. The monotheistic God is modelled on a harem-keeping alpha male

From the article:

Not everyone buys into a sky-god with a long white beard, a serious and all-knowing mien, capable of rewarding good behaviour and punishing bad. But it doesn’t take much imagination to recognise that God, as worshipped in most of the world, is remarkably humanoid, widely perceived as a great, big, scary, wilful, yet nourishing and protective guy… in short, a silverback gorilla writ large.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Re: God as a big bad scary sky boss with a harem

Are you trying to disparage all silverbacks?

I imagine some silverbacks might disagree.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Maybe he was Harimbe, and they shot him.
      sigpic
      Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

I never liked the idea of humans making god human. It shows the limits of their myth telling.
        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
          I never liked the idea of humans making god human. It shows the limits of their myth telling.
          He made for a moderately entertaining lion though. Granted he's more entertaining if we ignore the last book in that series.
          "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
          ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

So my brother (the theologian) once gave me as a gift the Narnia series. He actually also gave me the Winnie the Pooh books as a kid. I had no idea Aslan was god etc etc. I totally fell in love with talking animals and that led me to my path of SATAN! lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
              So my brother (the theologian) once gave me as a gift the Narnia series. He actually also gave me the Winnie the Pooh books as a kid. I had no idea Aslan was god etc etc. I totally fell in love with talking animals and that led me to my path of SATAN! lol.
              Ah, the irony!
              I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
              Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
              But that day you know I left my money
              And I thought of you only
              All that copper glowing fine

Comment

I believe that "making gods human" is just our way of connecting to them. I recognize that most any definition limits a thing but at the same time if we recognize that the limitations are our own and not the deity's then we can interact within our limited knowledge of them and still not place limitations on them.
                It might also be that because my concept of deity is that we are meant to act in a partnership with them rather than stand in awe and worship. I believe they enjoy the interaction more than worship. There is still a reverence in place but it does not get in the way of being friends.
                The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
                I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Originally posted by DragonsFriend View Post
                  I believe that "making gods human" is just our way of connecting to them. I recognize that most any definition limits a thing but at the same time if we recognize that the limitations are our own and not the deity's then we can interact within our limited knowledge of them and still not place limitations on them.
                  It might also be that because my concept of deity is that we are meant to act in a partnership with them rather than stand in awe and worship. I believe they enjoy the interaction more than worship. There is still a reverence in place but it does not get in the way of being friends.
                  See, this sounds sane. As a Catholic(and only speaking from my own experience but it's probably more than me) nuns are to marry their 'husband' and girls are to listen to their 'father'.

Like God is a male to us and we are to act in accordance with that as we are to do all males. And all other kinds of gender bullsheets.

Comment

Well, for what it's worth I was raised Catholic and went to school in a Catholic grade school. A lot of what my brothers and sisters learned managed to go over my head. I learned that love was the lesson of the faith instead of the fear and guilt that my siblings learned. It wasn't until I was sixteen or so that my eyes opened up to the "dark side" of Christianity represented. I "officially" left the church in 1972 by filing the proper paperwork but I had not practiced the faith since 1967 when I left home. That was a rough two years for me because I had no contact with my family and I was living on the street.
                    Sorry - I got distracted, At least the Catholics have a female close to God in the "virgin" Mary, the mother of Jesus. Even in grade school we were taught that Jesus "could not refuse a request from his mother". A idea that was planted by the "first miracle" of changing water into wine.
                    The concept of a male and female deity was easily acceptable to me and that the feminine was the stronger of the two was, at first, an easy point as well. It wasn't until I found myself without the ability to begin a new group without a high priestess that I realized that a more balanced relationship was needed.
                    The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
                    I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

You know you bring up something I find interesting. I'm betting our experiences in Catholicism might be both similar and very different depending upon our gender. It might make a good topic to discuss.

Comment

Well it depends on what religion you are talking about. The two most popular ones, generally speaking, Christianity and Islam are very much against the idea of god have a wife, let alone a harem.

Even the idea of making god similar to humans, while I do understand where they are coming from, I wish they would have been more specific. Heck, if you divide Christians into Catholics and all the rest, Islam would be the biggest monotheistic religion and it specifically opposes the idea that god is like a human or any other thing we know in this universe. That's one of the points it made against the pagans back in the day.

So I wish a little more of homework would have been done for this article. It is still very interesting though. And I feel it applies more to pagan traditions, especially when you look at Egyptian, Greek and even Hindu traditions.
                        Last edited by Dumuzi; 08 Jul 2016, 22:56.
                        Do they not, then, ponder about the Qur‘an? Had it been from someone other than Allah, they would have found in it much discrepancy. [4:82]

Comment

Originally posted by Dumuzi View Post
                          Well it depends on what religion you are talking about. The two most popular ones, generally speaking, Christianity and Islam are very much against the idea of god have a wife, let alone a harem.
                          Methinks you mistook what was intended as a model to be literal...
                          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Working...
                          X