Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a thing be both true and false at the same time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can a thing be both true and false at the same time?

48÷2(9+3) = 2

48÷2(9+3) = 288

One is true and the other false, which one is which depends on the order of operations used. Meaning that saying one is true and the other false is just as valid either way. However, no matter how you solve it, one is true and one is false.

Sort of an algebraic superposition, Schrodinger's equation. Meaning that it is only both true and false at the same time as long as it is unsolved, as it can't be solved to be both at the same time.
    Last edited by Denarius; 10 Jul 2016, 14:02.
    Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Sure, why not?

Schrödingers-Cat-1.jpg
      sigpic
      Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Here's how I think about it - context... are we talking about abstractions, or are we talking about real things?

If 6+4=10 and 15-5=10 then 6+4=15-5, as long as you are talking about pure abstractions (numbers) that are not tied to real-world "things."

However, as soon as those abstractions relate to "things" in the real world, 6+4 is not = 15-5, because one represents an increase, while the other represents a decrease, and an increase is not the same as a decrease.

For example, if you have $6, and you find $4 laying on the ground, you now have more money, but if you have $15, and you lose $5, you now have less money, even though in both cases you have (in the end) $10.
        Last edited by B. de Corbin; 12 Jul 2016, 05:03.
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Again, the process is not the same but the resultant values are the same. 10 = 10 no matter what process is used to get there.
          You need to define whether you are comparing values or processes.
          In math:
          48÷2(9+3) = 2 is false because the parenthesis are calculated first so you have 48÷2x12 and the rest of the operation is performed left to right. 24x12=288

48÷2(9+3) = 288 is true.

The definitions of procedure are as important in this case as is the definitions of the values. to make the answer 2 you need to add another set of parenthesis: 48÷(2(9+3))=2
          The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
          I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

I had a boss once who proved that 1+1 does not =2. We got our new sales quotas, and they were double the previous ones. He quoted some formula they used to create the goals, using run rates, economic indicators, etc., and 45 minutes of related gobbledy-gook, and they weren't doubled, they were "adjusted". I told him he should call Harvard and tell them he has changed mathematics. The little weasel never liked me.
            sigpic
            Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

From the little weasel description,I imagine you were not a fan of him also...
              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

There are times when algebra doesn't work:
                If A = B then A+B = 2A = 2B is correct in all situations but under the same hypothesis A/B = 1 is not correct in at least one case.

This is an example of math is not always logical. If A=0...
                Last edited by DragonsFriend; 12 Jul 2016, 10:02.
                The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.

Comment

I can be both awake and not alert at all.
                  Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by DragonsFriend View Post
                    In math:
                    48÷2(9+3) = 2 is false because the parenthesis are calculated first so you have 48÷2x12 and the rest of the operation is performed left to right. 24x12=288
                    Actually, there is the argument that using an obelus instead of a solidus implies that everything before it is the numerator and everything after it is the denominator. Making it a complex fraction, which you would simplify to two.

There are other arguments as well. You'd know that if you followed my link.
                    Last edited by Denarius; 12 Jul 2016, 14:03.
                    Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
                      Actually, there is the argument that using an obelus instead of a solidus implies that everything before it is the numerator and everything after it is the denominator. Making it a complex fraction, which you would simplify to two.

There are other arguments as well. You'd know that if you followed my link.
                      If you had taken the time to view the note on the statement you would have found exactly what I stated. The parenthesis make that part of the operation first instead of last and division and multiplication are taken in order left to right.
                      There is a reason for standards.
                      As a hobbyist programmer I use notations like that a lot and I have to be aware of the order of operations in order to get an accurate answer. such as this:
                      deflexn = (velrot*pow(ranj,2)*sin(all.latitude))/(ranj/tt);

Comment

Originally posted by DragonsFriend View Post
                        There is a reason for standards.
                        There are always exceptions and differing interpretations. Order_of_operations#Exceptions

What we are talking about are conventions, not hard and fast rules. There is no one universal standard.

Comment

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
                          There are always exceptions and differing interpretations. Order_of_operations#Exceptions

What we are talking about are conventions, not hard and fast rules. There is no one universal standard.
                          You are correct which is why it is important to use some means of forcing the process that you use or intend to be used to solve the notation.
                          Even in language we use notation to force the understanding:
                          Let's eat grandma. and Let's eat, grandma. Same letters with different meanings.

Comment

Sometimes people get bogged down in minutia.

Scale is often an area where this are the are true/false become the opposite.

Familiarity often does the same thing--many times to someone with a basic knowledge or understanding, a subject seems inflexible and rule-bound...but to someone with a greater understanding it's quite bendy.

And so, it (once again) comes down to context.

The answer, Corbin, is probably what I tell people at work all the time--It depends. There are too many variables to ever give an answer without exceptions and nuances. In the real world, there is only one absolute--there are no absolutes.
                            “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
                            ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
                            ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                              The answer, Corbin, is probably what I tell people at work all the time--It depends. There are too many variables to ever give an answer without exceptions and nuances. In the real world, there is only one absolute--there are no absolutes.
                              When I started reading Neitsczhe I was bothered when he said something to the effect that science does not give a accurate depiction of reality (something along those lines).

Since you know I have an amature's love of science, and nobody can seriously refute the successes of the scientific method, I didn't know what to make if it - was he gonna give me some anti-intellectual gobbledygook?

Eventually I came to understand what he was saying - context matters. That's the actual meaning of the imfamous title Beyond Good and Evil; there are no absolutes, everything depends on context. In science, theories and experiments remove variables - it's actually required, and a large part of the reason to do an experiement.

But by doing that, one creates an abstraction - something that is no longer real because in the real world their are infinite variables.

As long as the person doing the thinking remembers this, it isn't much of a problem. Scientists do drug trials and monitor long term effects, even when in vitro tests suggest that the drug is perfect because you need to test it where all the variables go back in, i.e.: the real world.

Physical science has become pretty good at this, but other "sciences," maybe not so much - political science, economic science, often the social sciences and psychology (although they are getting better) get a fail here. They are still so in love with abstract theory that they have lost touch with reality.

Context - the variables - matters.
                              Last edited by B. de Corbin; 13 Jul 2016, 02:09.
                              Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Not precisely on topic, but I was listening to someone talk about The Fourth Way and mentioned something about true/not true vs. useful/not useful and it was something I've held on to as a way to describe my religious beliefs, which usually make me sound like an atheist in denial.

Comment

Working...
                                X