Recipes for Potlucks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recipes for Potlucks?

Public rituals here tend to do a pre-ritual potluck...which, of course, has the issue of WTF to make*.

What sort of thing do you take for a potluck?

(post a recipe if you got one!)

*Made worse by everyone and their mother's brother's kid's teacher's dog's dietary restrictions... :/
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Re: Recipes for Potlucks?

I don't do the pagany thing , but I do do potlucks (mainly for work lol).
    Everyone brings bad for you food and forgets the diabetic over here. So I always bring a big chunky fruit salad with only some tajin to season. Everyone seems to enjoy a light side with all that fried stuff.
    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Here are three of the favorites that I make:

Chicken Pasta Soup

Skinned chicken fried in vegetable shortening
      water, egg noodles, Carrots, celery, potatoes, onions, parsley, sage, pepper and salt

Sourdough Bread

Sourdough starter:
      equal amounts of flour and water exposed to the natural yeast in the air
      Sourdough bread:

Flour, Starter, Water, Salt, Olive Oil, The crust is basted with butter or olive oil once out of the oven
      Sourdough Cinnamon Bread

Sourdough starter:
      equal amounts of flour and water exposed to the natural yeast in the air
      Bread:
      Flour, water, sugar, salt, olive oil, cinnamon
      the crust is basted with butter or olive oil once out of the oven and sprinkled with cinnamon/sugar
      The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
      I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

I make a sweet potato, black bean, and corn chili or chicken ranch tacos if I'm doing the main dish. The chili is vegan and gluten free. It's a can of sweet potatos, 2-4 cans of black beans (depending on preference), a can of corn or hominy, 1/4 c of chili powder, a teaspoon each of cardamom, cinnamon, thyme, and turmeric, 2 cups of vegetable broth, a couple table spoons of maple syrup, chopped onion and red pepper. I found it in a cook book a couple years ago and I think that's the recipe (I could be off a little, I'm going by memory). The chicken ranch tacos are just a bag of boneless skinless chicken breast in a crockpot with a mixture of a can or two of rotel, a bag of ranch seasoning and a bag of taco seasoning poured over top. I shred the chicken when cooked. Both of these are crockpot meals so I can make them the night before and start them heating a couple hours before we eat or when I get to work if they need to cook all the way. (I mostly do pot luck meals at work. We only rarely do them for rituals here. Our pagan community tends to be rather poor and a lot of the people in the group have trouble even bringing a side dish.)

If I'm doing a side, I usually bring a cheese ball. That's made with a bag of shredded cheddar, two packages of cream cheese, a chunk of chopped green peppers, lots of garlic, and chopped ham. I hand knead it and roll it into a ball. I've also been thinking of making black bean chocolate pudding as a side as it's both vegan and gluten free (in fact, I think you're the one that put me onto that recipe, thal). Most of the people I know fall into one of those two categories if they have a food issue. However, after a month of making black bean pudding once or twice a week, my blender crapped out. So I need to get something stronger for that process before I can try it out on a group.

I don't tend to take dessert. There's always more than enough people bringing deserts. If I did, I think I'd go pineapple upside down cake. It's just not quite as sweet in my experience.
        We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
        It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
        Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
        -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

I make Quorn/vegetarian chilli (without any chilli peppers) in a big one-pot method, as a way to get vegetables into my two kids.

(sort of) Secret ingredients include cocoa powder, Marmite/Vegemite and Black Coffee.

My wife and I add chilli flakes to ours, but the kids love it and it freezes well too.

Comment

Working...
          X