What ritual tools do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What ritual tools do you use?

And why? What role do they have for your path?
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Re: What ritual tools do you use?

I like using tools in that they store and amplify energy for a quick power boost and help me reach a state of mind quicker than when I don't use them. My athame is probably my most used tool, though I have about three that I tend to switch between. My runes are probably my most used divination tool, though I have a deck of tarot cards that are almost tied in use. I have a set of stones that I use as representation for calling the watch towers and a pentacle necklace that also sees a fair amount of use (I actually got it back when I was a teenager from a silver ranven wolf starter witch kit thing ).

Comment

Tons and tons of candles. Candles can represent the length of the spell to take effect, or I use them to "call" a specific entity (get their attention, really).

I have a specific knife I use for cutting spiritual-related things. It feels "cleaner" to ones one dedicated to that purpose.
      Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

I used to use my knife a lot more than I do now, for safety during spiritual travel. Along with essential oils and diffusers for that extra "push" for a more conducive mental and emotional state.

Lately, I regularly and ritually wear specific pieces of jewelry that serve various purposes (grounding, mindfulness, sensitivity, etc...) that serve a quick and physical link to my most-used purposes.

Comment

I just remembered: I also have prayer beads. I don't actually do prayers with them, or pray a rosary or anything like that, but having them in my hands to distract my body, and because they're dedicated to a specific entity, they help me focus.
          Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Herbs, herbs and herbs. lol. I have a broom and athame. I also use tarot and a black mirror for divination. I hold a deer skull when meditating on my ancestors. The herbs are for lotions, potions, and teas. I also smoke cleanse all the time. My broom is for magic cleaning and my athame is for all magical cutting. The deer skill is to help link me to my dead. I have altars but I am not sure they would count as a tool. Most of it is more for my craft then my religion.

Comment

On the rare occasion that I use any material props then I have a 6+ foot piece of driftwood that I found years ago which is roughly the right size and shape for a staff, certain pendants and occasionally a piece of

life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I use just two ritual tools these days.

One is a large double handled wrought iron wok that I use to cook with when doing kitchen witchery, but that also doubles as a cauldron during rituals. Typically it will contain water that is mixed with water from the Pow Burn and have a single candle in the centre. This is significant because of the connection of Brigantia with both the sacred flame and holy waters, while also connecting to the importance of both the Pow Burn herself, and the 'inner flame' in my practice. There is also the added safety of standing or floating the candle in water. I can sit by it in meditation on the floor and not have to worry about Dolly setting fire to her whiskers!

On occasion I will use the wok for other things, or to hold decorative items on the sabbats.

The other tool is an earthenware chalice. The chalice was originally one of a pair. The other belonged to my coven (I have no idea who kept it after the coven disbanded). There are two rituals that are central to my regular practice. The first is what I call the inner flame meditation which I mention in my recent blog entry about the cauldrons of poesy, and the other is an adaptation of a ritual by Francesca De Grandis called 'the Mother's Milk'. In the original Mother's Milk you use actual milk, but because of the importance of water in my path, I use water. I frequently do this ritual while at work in which case I use a generic mug, but when at home, there's just something nice about doing it with my special earthenware chalice!

Of course, the chalice also holds wine for sabbat rituals, and because I drain the cup during the Mother's Milk ritual, I can even follow that ritual with a splash of wine!

Besides these I also use candles, incense and stones as additional props in spells or rituals. I still have my wand and athame and often display them on the altar in the study. I may no longer use them but I'd couldn't part with them.
                夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                  The first is what I call the inner flame meditation which I mention in my recent blog entry about the cauldrons of poesy, and the other is an adaptation of a ritual by Francesca De Grandis called 'the Mother's Milk'. In the original Mother's Milk you use actual milk, but because of the importance of water in my path, I use water. I frequently do this ritual while at work in which case I use a generic mug, but when at home, there's just something nice about doing it with my special earthenware chalice!

Of course, the chalice also holds wine for sabbat rituals, and because I drain the cup during the Mother's Milk ritual, I can even follow that ritual with a splash of wine!
                  Jem, I know you've talked about this before, but have you detailed the whole thing anywhere? If not, can you do a blog post on it when you have the time?
                  Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                    Jem, I know you've talked about this before, but have you detailed the whole thing anywhere? If not, can you do a blog post on it when you have the time?
                    I have an unfinished blog that was meant to be the last in my series and explains how everything ties together in my regular practice. It got stupidly long though and I never got around to cutting it down to under 1000 words, or splitting it into two. If I do post it though, the Mother's Milk is mentioned, although I don't describe how to do the ritual.

I was thinking about adding this ritual to the Big Thread of Liturgy and Devotionals though. I think it would be nice if we could all add our core rituals to that thread.
                    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I have an unfinished blog that was meant to be the last in my series and explains how everything ties together in my regular practice. It got stupidly long though and I never got around to cutting it down to under 1000 words, or splitting it into two. If I do post it though, the Mother's Milk is mentioned, although I don't describe how to do the ritual.

I was thinking about adding this ritual to the Big Thread of Liturgy and Devotionals though. I think it would be nice if we could all add our core rituals to that thread.
                      OOH!

I forgot about that thread!!

*runs away to scavenge for new posts*
                      sigpic

Comment

Posted it and I even added the details of the ritual! It was still too long when I split it into 2, so it ended up being 3 posts.

The mother's milk is in part 2 if you don't want to read the whole thing. I elaborate on the wok a bit in part 3 too.

Comment

Been pondering this one for a bit and it occurred to me I use tools at times but more in the sense of vessels to carry more than as tools themselves. It's like I use candles but as a vessel for fire more than as a candle when I can't have an actual fire (or smoke) itself or coals for scrying. As such it is for the actual flame not as a representation of fire, so I might also use something else that produces a flame besides a candle. I use a bowl or chalice when I can't have open water present though most times it seems my rituals / ceremonies tend to occur when there is a misty rain or a light fog. Very seldom will I use crystals or salt to represent earth as my rituals / ceremonies are always outside and within the earth itself or upon a large rock. So seldom is there ever a symbolic representation of the elements of earth, water, fire for me via the athame, chalice, candle, etc in my practice.

For me I do not consider offerings to be ritual tools so I do not consider them as such when I ponder ritual tools. About the only thing I use with any regularity that I consider a ritual tool is my sword and staff.
                          I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                            And why [do you use those objects]? What role do they have for your path?
                            The various ritual objects, the music that the instruments make, and all of the other aspects of the rituals, all work in conjunction with eachother, to draw in a deity called the cosmic spirit of virtue, or a particular facet thereof, into the ritual environment, and into the souls of the participants.

That serves two purposes: the primary purpose and the secondary purpose.
                            The primary purpose is to feel the cosmic spirit of virtue, or a particular facet thereof, touching and flowing through one's soul. There are a variety of rituals because the cosmic spirit of virtue has a variety of facets, though all of such facets share the same fundamental characteristics. The secondary purpose is that by doing so, one's soul becomes infused with more cosmic spirit power, which leads oneself toward becoming able to perform more powerful forms of magic.
                            Last edited by MaskedOne; 22 Feb 2017, 20:24. Reason: removing a topic

Comment

In light of the fact that this topic can be interesting, it is being restored.

Note that it is a page and a half shorter, reference the missing argument and I infract you.
                              Note that whether you call a ritual item as object/tool/instrument/implement/holy-relic/slice-of-universal-pizza/etc is a semantic question that apparently breeds idiocy. Waste space on it and I infract you.
                              Note that excessive and pointless sniping got this thread killed once. Attempt to repeat history and I infract you.
                              Note that this is your only warning. Fail to heed it in even the slightest manner and I infract you.

Note that this thread was closed once so it did not reach the point of me writing infractions. I have doubts that restoring it is good for its participants. Prove my doubts correct and (say it with me now) I infract you.
                              Last edited by MaskedOne; 22 Feb 2017, 20:49.
                              life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Working...
                              X