Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: To have, or to have not?

Originally posted by kalynraye View Post
    From the time I turned 18 until we bought our home a month ago I have moved on an average of once per year...
    You're going to be reincarnated as a turtle.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I had the opposite family experiences as some of you guys; my mother hates clutter. She also loves to throw out old things and get new things. When I was a kid, friends would come over and tell me I lived in a mueseum because our house looked so unlived in. So now I like having a bit of clutter arround since I feel like it makes a home look more warm and inviting
      Last edited by SleepingCompass; 04 Aug 2016, 00:57.

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
        I'm fond of possesions...

As long as they are possessions and not possessors.

(snip) Any object that is not food, water or shelter which moves from enhancing your life to controlling it is a problem that should be addressed. Otherwise, there are lots of cool things in the world. Have fun.
        This^

I'm a big believer in two things that are perhaps seemingly contradictory: 1) Everyone should cherish their own treasured belongings (in which, "treasure" is defined as "things of deep meaningfulness to them") and 2) Everyone should be able to throw it all away, they are just things.

I like simplicity, but simplicity is not minimalism. Simplicity is about selectivity--choosing, even affirming, those things that are necessary, that are purposeful, and that are quality. I'd rather do without while I save for something that will last, unless its something that I can't do without.
        “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
        ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
        ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

If it becomes necessary, a person needs to be able to eat the family dog, but to do it "just because" would be a mark of insanity.

I feel the same way about possessions - if you have to get rid of them, be able to do it, but doing it "just because" would be loopy.
          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Any good recipes for grilled Mutt?
            BTW if your Dog managed to figure out how to open the fridge,you might want to ponder if he is an alien in disguise(reminds me of the song "devil in disguise")

Does this describe your beagle?
            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I think in the age of social media anybody can say they are anything, and I think possessions provide the proof.
              “A lifetime may not be long enough to attune ourselves fully to the harmony of the universe. But just to become aware that we can resonate with it -- that alone can be like waking up from a dream.” - Br. David Steindl Rast

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                Any good recipes for grilled Mutt?
                Didn't you go to Asia in the Navy? Isn't usually Mongolian BBQ?

BTW if your Dog managed to figure out how to open the fridge,you might want to ponder if he is an alien in disguise(reminds me of the song "devil in disguise")
                Nah - he's just food obsessed, and crafty (he will also grab hotdogs out of your hand if it gets within grabbing distance).

Comment

actually,I have eaten dog,as well as monkey and RAT(In Peru they eat Guinea pig as well as Capabera)

Site about this.

From NPR BTW.
                  Last edited by anunitu; 04 Aug 2016, 06:09.
                  MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                  NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                  don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                  http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I take Rick Stein's approach to foreign food and culinary tourism: would I eat it if it were served in my house? No? Then I wouldn't eat it abroad. That means dog. I wouldn't knowingly eat dog or cat, or the majority of carnivores.

Anyway. I find it hard to say because I don't know how much stuff other people have. I am a bit of an ascetic, I like a spartan home, and I am quite utilitarian. No, sorry, I am very utilitarian. But that doesn't mean I won't tolerate ornamentation, I just won't do it because "that's what I should do" or "that's what a house of this interior style should have".

If an ornamentation provides a purpose, such as I actively look at it and it is relaxing or nostalgic, then it is utilitarian, but still ornament. As such, I have money possessions, but it would take me only a day to pack for moving. The one thing I collect and don't use is books. Like, I'll buy them and think "I'll get round to reading them one day!" - ten years later they're on Freecycle.

Possessions can be good. They are the salt of physical life. Don't let them turn your life sour.
                    I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
                    Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
                    But that day you know I left my money
                    And I thought of you only
                    All that copper glowing fine

Comment

I have all that I need and a lot of things that I want but could live without.
                      I believe we are supposed to have what we need and can use to make life better.
                      I have a young neighbor who borrows tools to fix his stuff. He is very respectful and I have no problem loaning them to him. He is in the process of accumulating the tools he needs and like most young men with young families he is a hard working guy. I have spent my life accumulating the tools I have for jobs that I worked and the businesses that I have had. I am sure that he will eventually be asked to loan his tools to someone. That is the way life goes.
                      The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
                      I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Working...
                      X