This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difficult reconciliations

Warning. This post acknowledges the existence of American politics.

I want to start by saying that while I am influence by Asatru, Vasatru, and Northern Tradition, and do not soley align with the ideology. This has been mostly a blessing for me because of a large active community somewhat local to me. This community is part of a larger global organization that does some pretty great things.

However the man at the helm of the local chapter also is a major figure in a certain presidential candidates local efforts. I understand that this man speaks only for himself, even if he's using his platform to amplify his voice.

The more I look into this the more I see it's happening all over the place within the faith, and in a world were silence often gives cosent, I'm wondering how others are reacting.
    “A lifetime may not be long enough to attune ourselves fully to the harmony of the universe. But just to become aware that we can resonate with it -- that alone can be like waking up from a dream.” - Br. David Steindl Rast

Re: Difficult reconciliations

Sticky problem, for sure.

I am frequently an advocate of keeping my head down because, really, most things aren't all that important, and the veiws of most people are not subject to change. But in this election, I think that there is a very, very real danger to this country, and would not want my silence to be equated with agreement.

But I also doubt that you can do much other than make trouble for yourself.

So, yeah, there's a real problem.

I don't know what I'd do if I were in your shoes. Maybe I'd try suggesting that that person should keep his politics out of your religion, then be prepared to cease associating with that group if things go the way I imagine they will.

I dunno. No good choices in my line of sight...
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I agree,religion should not be used to effect political stuff.
      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

It's posts like these that make me feel better about being the only Heathen in my area. I've been in similar situations, though, and all I can do is be open enough about my faith that people get to see that Heathens can be good people, and set an example for maybe some less open about their faith to follow.

Comment

Originally posted by callmeclemens View Post
          Warning. This post acknowledges the existence of American politics.

I want to start by saying that while I am influence by Asatru, Vasatru, and Northern Tradition, and do not soley align with the ideology. This has been mostly a blessing for me because of a large active community somewhat local to me. This community is part of a larger global organization that does some pretty great things.

However the man at the helm of the local chapter also is a major figure in a certain presidential candidates local efforts. I understand that this man speaks only for himself, even if he's using his platform to amplify his voice.

The more I look into this the more I see it's happening all over the place within the faith, and in a world were silence often gives cosent, I'm wondering how others are reacting.
          Do his political affiliations negatively effect your community? Do they negatively effect your place within that community, or your ability to interact with or otherwise participate in said community?

If the answer is 'no' then his political affiliations are completely irrelevant, and your silence is not consenting to anything. If the answer is 'yes' then perhaps it's time to find another community. People are allowed to have political views. People are allowed to have political views that don't match up with those of their peers. It's not the views themselves that's the problem... it's the way that those views impact upon our interactions with others that is important. I try not to look at opinions, but actions. I may not like bigots, but if their bigoted views aren't directly impacting my interactions with them then what do I actually have to complain about?

Comment

I'm not sure if any of you follow this group, but as it's now flooded out into the larger Pagan world here it is. I really didn't believe that this way of thinking existed at the very top, I don't know the new leader personally, but I had the pleasure to meet Mr. McNallan (sp?) whom recently relinquished the responsibility, and at that time I was confident that this sort of thinking was not a concrete part of the groups foundation.
            “A lifetime may not be long enough to attune ourselves fully to the harmony of the universe. But just to become aware that we can resonate with it -- that alone can be like waking up from a dream.” - Br. David Steindl Rast

Comment

This sort of thing has been floating around various Heathen groups for decades...in today's political climate, it's no surprise that people are finally owning what's been in the back of their minds for years. Honestly, it's one of the reasons I look at most Heathens I don't know (especially if they affiliate with certain groups) with side-eyes until I've seen reason to do otherwise. I've known a number of ethnically diverse and LGBT Heathens that choose not to associate with any number of local or national groups for exactly this reason.

Personally, knowing what we know about American history, about genetics in general, and about human evolution, I find such stances to be utterly reprehensible...but it has also been my experience that these sorts of Heathens are also the reason why (in my experience and observation) Heathens have a greater tendency for the out and out rejection of science.

Not all of them obviously (and not that there aren't other Pagans that don't also do this), but its enough that it's been noticeable to me.
              Last edited by thalassa; 24 Aug 2016, 16:59. Reason: phone autocorrect typo correction
              “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
              ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
              ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

The main difference is recognized religious groups(Mainly Christian) get the tax exemption thing. If these Heathen groups faced losing a tax free thing,they would understand ANY political "Preaching" would make their tax free status vanish. Not sure if Islam gets the tax break(Or other religious groups) Some Christian groups are pushing the political thing,and "May" loose their tax free status.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

What's really devastating is that outbursts like this most recent one are driving up new membership. I made the decision to end my membership a few months ago, it's a shame they did an excellent job in bringing people together offline.

I'll be grateful for what I gained, one if those things ironically is an African American friend, and now former member.

Comment

Is anyone surprised that at the top of religions there are people running it with their own agenda in mind?
                    No. No you are not surprised.
                    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Gambling at ricks...I am shocked,shocked I tell you!!!

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

I've always avoided Heathen groups for these reasons. It is a problem that really isn't addressed and when it is addressed is usually beat back by deniers, apologists, or the "Yeah, but not everyone is..." excuse.

Comment

When you're at Rick's, it's not gambling... just go ahead and give me your money...
                          I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country

“Barbarianism is the natural state of mankind. Civilization is unnatural. It is the whim of circumstance. And barbarianism must ultimately triumph.” - Robert E. Howard

Tribe of my Tribe
                          Clan of my Clan
                          Kin of my Kin
                          Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
                          And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

I absolutely relate with the Heathen adoration and veneration of ancestor's, and the ritual practice rooted in that.

Comment

The UK Heathen group I belong to, bans all discussion of politics on its Facebook page.

I'm aware that members have political beliefs across the spectrum. I've seen some of their posts on their own timelines and certainly I would disagree with some of their views, but there's nothing racist or grotesque (at least that I've seen!).

When I first started investigating Heathenry/Asatru I joined lots of groups on FB and unfollowed any that had overt political views, or allowed others to post them without comment or criticism.

Religious politics has a very poor reputation, regardless of the politicians beliefs. Overtly religious politicians have invariably been revealed to be colossal hypocrites and should be avoided.

Comment

Working...
                              X