X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What if goddesses went modern?

Indian Teen Artist Reimagines Goddesses As Modern-Day Feminists

From the article:

The poem modernizes four goddesses ― the Hindu goddess Kali, the Shinto deity Amaterasu, the Greek goddess Hera, and the ancient Egyptian goddess Isis ― as well as the Biblical figure Eve. In Kaur’s interpretation, these goddesses would be social media-savvy feminists in the modern world. They are aware of how powerful their bodies are and are unashamed of their sexualities.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Re: What if goddesses went modern?

The art is cool.
    “You must be shapeless, formless, like water. When you pour water in a cup, it becomes the cup. When you pour water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. When you pour water in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can drip and it can crash. Become like water my friend.” -- Bruce Lee

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

The art is ugly, the concept is... meh.

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

Originally posted by SeanRave View Post
        The art is ugly, the concept is... meh.
        Booyah!!!

That representation of Kālī essentially undoes who and what she is. The name Kālī is the feminine version of the word/name Kāla, which has two meanings: time (destroyer, change, preservation, power) and black. Her iconography almost always depicts her as black or very, very dark blue. Her temple murthis are almost always black granite. So, to depict her as anything other than what her name signifies pretty much makes her not-Kālī.

Kali_by_Raja_Ravi_Varma.jpg kali-mata-statues-1352014.jpg
        śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
        śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

Aw, shucks. You guys are just bein' mean

There's a difference between "art" and "traditional."
          Last edited by B. de Corbin; 05 Aug 2016, 07:24.
          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I'm not impressed either I'm afraid. The art kinda looks like something you'd find on Wikihow and while the concept of Goddesses in modern day dress is fine, why must they all be millennials? It's like a bad Nickelodeon series.
            夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
              I'm not impressed either I'm afraid. The art kinda looks like something you'd find on Wikihow and while the concept of Goddesses in modern day dress is fine, why must they all be millennials? It's like a bad Nickelodeon series.
              Prolly on account of the woman concieving is a millenial. The goddesses were, traditionally, concieved in the way they were because of the culture in which they were concieved (speaking as an atheist, that is).

I'd like to imagine that someday people will stop looking back, and at least look at the present - if they can't manage looking at the future .

P.S. I'm not too crazy about the drawing skills, but I like the concept...
              Last edited by B. de Corbin; 05 Aug 2016, 08:15.

Comment

Eve isn't a goddess in any sense. What makes these feminists? Seem more like the dull socialites that pull stunts in order not to be forgotten, that half intelligent people try their best to forget.

Sorry, I've got to agree with the general consensus.
                I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
                Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
                But that day you know I left my money
                And I thought of you only
                All that copper glowing fine

Comment

I don't mind the idea (well part of the idea anyway). The execution irritates me but the author is a teen. Finesse will come with experience, well that or cynicism will.
                  Last edited by MaskedOne; 05 Aug 2016, 12:39.
                  "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
                  ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                    I don't mind the idea (well part of the idea anyway). The execution irritates me but the author is a teen. Finesse will come with experience, well that or cynicism will.
                    Yes - she has the soul and spirit, but not yet the skill. Technique can be taught quickly, but vision is hard to learn..

Comment

If those 'goddesses' are the face of modern feminism, feminism is dead.
                      Last edited by Briton; 05 Aug 2016, 12:46.
                      I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
                      Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
                      But that day you know I left my money
                      And I thought of you only
                      All that copper glowing fine

Comment

Originally posted by Briton View Post
                        If those 'goddesses' are the face of modern feminism, feminism is dead.
                        Don't know about that but sure seems like the face of 4th wave feminist or more specific teen 4th wave. My self think the images are pretty awful and show a rather pathetic lack of awareness of just what those goddesses actually represented and who they were. Made them sort of comicbook looking.
                        I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

"Tumblr Kali"

mfw
                          samfreaksandgeeks.jpg
                          "Well I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer,
                          The future's uncertain and the end is always near"

Comment

The art work didn't bother me; I thought it had an interesting look to it. What bothered me was how sexualized and self absorbed they all were. Most of them were looking at their phones or making sexual gestures... not sure how that equals feminism. And I don't think she did any research to try and understand any of the Goddesses at all; that bothered me a lot. But I don't want to be too critical since she's young and I appreciate the effort. I'm just not sure why it's being treated as something worth being reported in an article?

I actually enjoyed the poem more than the artwork.

The Goddesses stand tall, and unashamed Laughing in the face of aghast disciples, As they reclaim Reclaim Reclaim RECLAIM.
                            If she had chosen to draw them from that ending imagery, I think I would have liked it a lot better.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                              Yes - she has the soul and spirit, but not yet the skill. Technique can be taught quickly, but vision is hard to learn..
                              In this case, I'm less concerned with technique and more with broadened awareness. Re-imaging a Power for a modern audience, sure go for it. Humanizing a Power, err, you'll probably annoy me somewhere (several movies have gone for, "lets humanize this character from the source material", the result is frequently re-imaging a character I like into someone I may want to punch, I don't expect it to go better with Powers than it does with anything else) but I'm finicky here. Just make sure you have a grasp of who you're re-imaging and do it in a way that the figure you're re-imaging can be found in your work. I'm doubtful that the artist has a firm grasp of these beings in their source material. That and...

the figures presented may be powerful images to a teen. I don't find them compelling and if you're going to provide an image for a deity (which Eve isn't but the other 4 are) than no matter what else, the image better be compelling. These just aren't. Granted, I may not be the target audience.

Shrug, if in ten years the artist tries again then I'll be curious. Right now, she has passion. That's good. Unfortunately, I think her reach exceeds her grasp.
                              "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
                              ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Working...
                              X