An encounter with Medusa?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An encounter with Medusa?

Ok, not sure where to place this or if this will make sense at all but none the less here it will go.

Here lately I keep getting this urge or sensation of looking into the similarity of associations between Hekate and Medusa. How the serpent factors into imagery for both of them. How being snared in its gaze and turned to stone as a sensation might feel. That and a sense of nausea that might accompany it and go with it as it comes about.

Yet a few moments ago something sort of strange occurred. The voice I associate with Hekate filled my mind as I was reading a thread on another site about the change to the forum skin and the recent color blast. How I found it, the bright radiating colors, sort of nauseating and upsetting to my stomach and left me feeling with both a headache and hurting my eyes. That and a sense of dread at what would have happened had I looked upon it in all its full power or presence.

Then the voice says "Now you know why a mere mortal can only look upon her reflection and not be turned to stone or petrified!"

So now I wonder was Medusa crowned with serpents in the form of snakes or did it occur in the form of snakes of light? Undulating colorful glowing ribbons of light that flow and move about her head and snap and crack like serpents. Recorded as serpents historically in paintings, pottery and such but but actually colored energy ribbons or concentrated bands.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Re: An encounter with Medusa?

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
    So now I wonder was Medusa crowned with serpents in the form of snakes or did it occur in the form of snakes of light? Undulating colorful glowing ribbons of light that flow and move about her head and snap and crack like serpents. Recorded as serpents historically in paintings, pottery and such but but actually colored energy ribbons or concentrated bands.
    It could be possible! From what I understand it was snakes for hair, but that could have been a translation issue, or a word lost to history.

And off-topic, but I thought you meant <i>our</i> Medusa before I read this. I was going to ask how adorable she was in real life.
    Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

When I read the thread title I thought this was going to go in a different direction.

Comment

I'm like 'who the hell spotted me in the wild?'
        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Not to worry Lady,I only watch from a distance. We stalkers just want to gaze at your SLEEPING face,the knife is just in case you wake UP!!!
          MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
          NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
          don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
          http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
            I'm like 'who the hell spotted me in the wild?'
            I was about to light up in supremely jealous flame. SOMEONE GOT TO HANG OUT WITH MEDUSA?! AND I WASN'T THERE TO ANNOY EVERYONE?!
            No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
              This is actually an interesting interpretation. If you find out more about it, please do share. Unfortunately, I don't know much about Medusa aside from a couple of documentaries I've watched on her. Neither mentioned significance or specific representation of serpents as hair or head adornment.
              �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
              ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
              Sneak Attack
              Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Medusa was cursed because of her beauty. Some goddess got mad that M got raped in her temple. Instead of punishing the rapist, she made Medusa not only ugly but dangerous. This was to 'protect her'. But also it forced M to never have the ability to be in the company of another living soul. Thus damning her to a life of solitude and unattainability. Much like that of a rape victim. Whomever made up Medusa was one mad woman.

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                  Medusa was cursed because of her beauty. Some goddess got mad that M got raped in her temple. Instead of punishing the rapist, she made Medusa not only ugly but dangerous. This was to 'protect her'. But also it forced M to never have the ability to be in the company of another living soul. Thus damning her to a life of solitude and unattainability. Much like that of a rape victim. Whomever made up Medusa was one mad woman.
                  That's the later story. There are actually two stories dealing with Medusa.

There is the story of Medusa the devotee who is seduced by Poseidon and cursed by Athena and tuned into a snake headed being. That's the tragic tale that is picked up and the one the feminist like but its not the oldest version of the gorgon sisters story. Then there is the older story of Medusa one of three gorgon sisters. Medusa being the only mortal one and the one who is actually killed by Perseus and whose head is taken back to Athena and placed upon her shield. All three sister having the ability to turn whomever lays eyes upon them to stone. Medusa being mortal is actually sort of the butt of her two immortal sisters furry but once she is killed they set out to take revenge against Perseus.

Yet the story is sort of interesting in the aspect that if anyone who see's the gorgon's head is turned to stone then who was left to describe what they looked like? Figure only Perseus is supposed to have seen her and then only the reflection and distorted at that. A distorted reflection to guide his sword to cut her head off and wrap it up in his cloak according to the stories. It's power possessing the ability to even turn other immortals into stone if the legends of the Kracken and its ability against the titans and such by having it upon her Aegis shield are to believed. So no living creature can look upon it and live, so how can anyone know what it actually looks like?

Comment

I think the gist of any Medusa myth is that she is isolated. It's a very sad tale if you think about it. You don't die. You just can't be with the living. I have very personal opinions of her (obviously besides the name is my tattoo of her). I always viewed her as extremely strong and independent. But obviously also unable to be touched. Something I connect with since I physically do not like to be touched (not even hugged by my own mother).

Comment

I agree there. She's always an outsider where ever she is at. Each story paints her as an outsider for various reasons, her mortality, her beauty (?), perhaps sexuality, her strength or weakness if you consider mortality vs immortality. Yet she is also always a person of strength though it is in a liminal sense in that it is both on the fringe of the social order and placed in a uncivilized place or perspective. Figure in the Poseidon rape story she is found on the edge of the known world and in some association with the entrance to the underworld. If I recall correctly Perseus had to use Charon to get to the Isle of the Dead to actually face her. In the three sisters mythos she is placed on the fringe of the known world and towards the Black Sea area moving towards Anatolia (modern Turkey). Which I believe is where the two stories merge in that both take place on an Isle of the dead type location. But very much the foreign or uncivilized lands and peoples to Hellene perspective.

The story gets sort of strange when compared to the masculine feminine attributes of Athena that were pushed later when you consider her non female birth. So her rape gets seen in the light of Artemis type scenario more so than a betrayal due to seduction and rape. Yet it's more about a failure of her masculine feminine than her feminine feminine which sort of equates to her being punished for not being a manly woman vice being a womanly woman. So she is punished I suppose for being more focused and pushing the feminine and female than for being the warrior I suppose like an Amazon. The idea of hair transformed into snakes seems to suggest cursing that which was held in vanity and pride type thing as an attraction. A snake body could be seen in the same light I suppose. A body in some accounts like Echidna's (snake lower torso and human upper torso) other depictions more like a Naga in that most of her body was serpent or snake like and only a little bit of the upper body human like with two arms, upper torso head.

Comment

Working...
                      X