Popcorn; What am I Doing Wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Popcorn; What am I Doing Wrong?

I thought it would be a cool money saving idea to start making my own popcorn instead of buying the ready made stuff, not to mention healthier as I can control what I'm adding to it as flavouring. The first time I tried it, the first batch was a bit burnt, but then the second batch came out great. I gave that one to JP to he could have it while it was warm, and returned to the hob to make my own. That was a complete disaster. The corn was burning onto the bottom of the pan before even half the kernels had popped. The smell was horrible, filling every corner of the flat, and I couldn't get the pan clean for days (I've since discovered boiling rice in the pan and then scrubbing it with the rice starch gets it gleaming again).

I checked online and found a tip where you put 3 kernels in the pan and wait until all 3 pop. That means it's hot enough and you can add the rest of your corn. Great I thought. So I did that, got my 3 pops (removed them) and added the rest of the corn. You guessed it, another stinky kitchen and more scrubbing with rice.

What am I doing wrong?

Oh I was using cooking oil at first by the way, and then tried butter, although it was lurpak butter so I don't know if that affected anything. I've read that coconut oil is good but I don't know if that's just because it's the latest food fad, or if there is genuinely a difference.
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Re: Popcorn; What am I Doing Wrong?

My father used to make it in a big skillet, but I don't know the secret! I bought an air-popper and use that - it's really easy & fast.
    sigpic
    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Alrighty my love. Cold pot oil and the corn you want popped. Cover the pot with a lid or sheet pan. Turn your heat to medium-high and do not walk away. As it starts to get warm holding the lid down shake the pot. It helps distribute heats and keeps the corn from burning. You need to listen because once most of the corn is popped turn off the heat and keep shaking until you don't hear any more popping. Key here is not walking away and keep shaking that pot.

Another idea I don't know if you have a microwave but if so brown paper bag add corn fold over bag and cook for 2 mins. It will pop. Season and enjoy
      Last edited by kalynraye; 17 Sep 2016, 19:33.
      "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

yeah microwave the popcorn in a bag. After put in bowl, spray with cooking oil of your choice, sprinkle with spices. Nom nom.

hint: Parmesan is your friend!
        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I did this as a kid with the metal popper thing. Like this. you shook it over the heat on a stove.

When I first got to use an air popper,that was the best.

- - - Updated - - -

also this,secret was keep it moving..
          MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
          NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
          don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
          http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Thanks for the tips! I'm actually a little scared of the microwave so only JP ever uses it. I've been thinking that it's time to get over it already, but it's a real phobia so it's not that easy!

Originally posted by kalynraye View Post
            Alrighty my love. Cold pot oil and the corn you want popped. Cover the pot with a lid or sheet pan. Turn your heat to medium-high and do not walk away. As it starts to get warm holding the lid down shake the pot. It helps distribute heats and keeps the corn from burning. You need to listen because once most of the corn is popped turn off the heat and keep shaking until you don't hear any more popping. Key here is not walking away and keep shaking that pot.
            I'm definitely trying this. I never even thought to remove the pan from the heat once the corn is mostly popped but it's such an obvious thing to do!
            夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Mum used to pop ours in a big saucepan with the lid on. I don't think she added butter or oil at first... just the popping corn. Put it on the heat, turn it up, stand with it and shake the pot around. Take it off when the pops slow right down, but keep the lid on for a few more minutes (off the heat). Then she added icing suger and butter afterwards.

I actually don't make popcorn, because I don't really like it. When Torey makes it he uses the paper bags from the supermarket.

Comment

To make perfect popcorn use the same volume of cooking oil as you do popcorn kernels. I use an eight quart stock pot. Put 1/4 cup oil in it and a heaping 1/4 cup of kernels. Place three kernels in the pan and turn it to medium high. When the kernels pop, cover after throwing in the rest of the kernels and shake. This keeps the unpopped kernels in the oil and the popped kernels on top. When the popping slows turn the heat off and keep shaking the pan until the popping stops. butter and salt to taste and eat.

note: I don't eat popcorn but my wife likes it so she eats the entire batch. 1/4 cup of kernels should easily be enough for two or even three people. Topped with 1/4 cup of butter and a dash of salt is usually good.
                The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
                I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

We have an air popper, which I prefer, because no oil and no single use anything. But before the air popper, we used a regular brown bag to make popcorn in the microwave. Also, we have one of these that we got at the thrift store, which is sweet because its basically stove top with zero work and a built in bowl. Also, Jem, think about it more as a way to do magic...and science at the same time! It might make it more fun...
                  Last edited by thalassa; 18 Sep 2016, 15:11.
                  Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

anyone remember these? I used to love to make popcorn, pop in a vhs and have a blast!
                    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

^^^ That's what my air popper looks like. It isn't that brand, but the style's the same.
                      sigpic
                      Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                        ...Also, Jem, think about it more as a way to do magic...and science at the same time! It might make it more fun...
                        Way back in the before time - before microwaves, before Blueray/DVD/VCR, and Netflix, when I still had hair and wore 'jammies with feet in them, making popcorn was part of a ritual.

Dad was the High Priest of Popcorn - only HE made it. He had a special measuring cup for the oil, and another for the popcorn. These were never used for any other purpose. He'd let us kids watch him in the kitchen (the only time he cooked), and, if he thought we were ready, he'd let us shake the pot.

Then, he sprinkle the magic tasties on it - melted butter and salt.

And finally the whole family would sit on he couch and watch The Wonderful World of Disney each Saturday (or maybe Sunday) night. We'd also oerform this ritual when there was something special to watch on TV, like The Wizard of Oz or Peter Pan, which you could ONLY see when it was on TV - about once a year.

Family rituals are bonding rituals
                        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I always put my oil and popcorn in cold. Let it warm up and pop. Once the popping slows take it off the head and put it in a bowl right away. I never use the microwave

Comment

Hey, I finally had time to get popping last night!

It worked just great and it was thanks to the advice I got here! Once it started popping I turned down the heat but also kept lifting the pan off the hob altogether while shaking it and then putting it back down when the popping slowed down! I had a few bits only partly popped in the bottom but most of it popped just fine. I also put way more kernels in than I needed. In addition to that bowl I also filled a 2 litre flour jar! JP and I are going to see that new zombie movie 'The Girl with all the Gifts' tonight so I'll take the jar with us!

A little goes such a long way. This is going to save us a fortune in snack food!

Comment

Cool. I love when people don't use microwave popcorn.

Comment

Working...
                              X