Popcorn; What am I Doing Wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Popcorn; What am I Doing Wrong?

Okay everyone, so now you've got me popping like a pro my next question is..

..What are your best flavourings for home-popped corn?

In particular, JP loves anything flavoured with lemon, but I don't actually know how I'd go about making lemon flavoured popcorn without it getting soggy.

Originally posted by Ula View Post
    Cool. I love when people don't use microwave popcorn.
    Well, I'm scared of microwaves so I couldn't. Any unexpected sound or movement in the microwave sends me into a panic and I switch it off at the mains and pull out the plug before the house explodes in a giant fireball killing us all!

Mind you, one of my personal development aims for the next lunar cycle (starting with tomorrow's new moon) is to explore my fears and start facing them. This will include getting used to cooking with a microwave. Not having to wash 2 or 3 pans after every meal will be so freeing!

I think popcorn will be a bit of a stretch because of the popping, but if you say hob is better, I'll probably use that as an excuse not to try it in the microwave!
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Jem, lemon pepper and garlic salt are delicious together...including on popcorn.

Also, you can use regular loose popcorn and a brown lunch bag to make popcorn in the microwave--no special microwave popcorn stuff required (there's also a microwave popcorn popper, which is reusable)
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

There is a school of thought(ran into it online) that contends microwaves alter food in a bad way,BUT truth be told any cooking alters our food(their are facts that barbecuing{grilling} is bad for your eating habits,but does taste good. Main thing is,you have to eat,so just try and not eat too much. Too much of any kind of food can be a problem(see Thals moderation talk) all things in moderation,including moderation.
        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
          truth be told any cooking alters our food(their are facts that barbecuing{grilling} is bad for your eating habits,but does taste good.
          Then again...if we didn't cook our food, we'd never have evolved big brains...maybe (this is a contentious area of human evolution)
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
            Jem, lemon pepper and garlic salt are delicious together...including on popcorn.

Also, you can use regular loose popcorn and a brown lunch bag to make popcorn in the microwave--no special microwave popcorn stuff required (there's also a microwave popcorn popper, which is reusable)
            Thanks for the tip! I've just found a recipe for making your own lemon pepper at home. JP and I use a lot of lemons (I make sure there's always a chopped up lemon in the fridge so JP can help himself to a slice whenever he likes.. he's that addicted!), so I've no shortage of lemon zest!

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
            There is a school of thought(ran into it online) that contends microwaves alter food in a bad way,BUT truth be told any cooking alters our food(their are facts that barbecuing{grilling} is bad for your eating habits,but does taste good. Main thing is,you have to eat,so just try and not eat too much. Too much of any kind of food can be a problem(see Thals moderation talk) all things in moderation,including moderation.
            Exactly! I used to like to think I was better off by avoiding microwaves but they actually debunked the myth on the BBC's Trust me I'm a Doctor (I LOVE that show!!). In fact, they showed that because using a microwave reduces cooking time and removes the need to use additional liquid such as with boiling or steaming, it actually retains more of the nutrients if you're cooking things like vegetables.
            夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I read where a woman went on an ALL fish diet for a while,and was hit with mercury poisoning. I try and limit my fish intake to never more than once a week. variety is a good habit with food(mix it up) Think also Potatoes and the Irish(not the same,but still)
              Last edited by anunitu; 29 Sep 2016, 18:56.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Has anyone ever tried plain popcorn(no seasoning) and drinking black coffee with it? It is a great match.

Comment

Yes! I have never found anyone else who has noticed the "flavor matching" of popcorn and coffee. There is a similar note. If I can smell it, I know I will like the coffee. I pretty much always like popcorn.

Comment

Popcorn/black coffee - YES!!

The all-fish diet/mercury poisoning person was Daphne Zuniga, an actress from "Melrose Place".
                    sigpic
                    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Now I MUST try the popcorn/coffee connection. Is this really an urban legend? Very interesting(with slight German accent)

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Working...
                      X