Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25

Thread: Popcorn; What am I Doing Wrong?

  1. #11
    Supporter Hawkfeathers's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    5,469
    Gender
    female
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan/Stregheria
    Location
    The Ozarks

    Re: Popcorn; What am I Doing Wrong?

    ^^^ That's what my air popper looks like. It isn't that brand, but the style's the same.

    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

  2. #12
    The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    8,257
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Location
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

    Re: Popcorn; What am I Doing Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by thalassa View Post
    ...Also, Jem, think about it more as a way to do magic...and science at the same time! It might make it more fun...
    Way back in the before time - before microwaves, before Blueray/DVD/VCR, and Netflix, when I still had hair and wore 'jammies with feet in them, making popcorn was part of a ritual.

    Dad was the High Priest of Popcorn - only HE made it. He had a special measuring cup for the oil, and another for the popcorn. These were never used for any other purpose. He'd let us kids watch him in the kitchen (the only time he cooked), and, if he thought we were ready, he'd let us shake the pot.

    Then, he sprinkle the magic tasties on it - melted butter and salt.

    And finally the whole family would sit on he couch and watch The Wonderful World of Disney each Saturday (or maybe Sunday) night. We'd also oerform this ritual when there was something special to watch on TV, like The Wizard of Oz or Peter Pan, which you could ONLY see when it was on TV - about once a year.

    Family rituals are bonding rituals
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

    I can't do everything, but I can do something.

  3. #13
    Copper Member Ula's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    586
    Religion
    Heathen
    Location
    WV

    Re: Popcorn; What am I Doing Wrong?

    I always put my oil and popcorn in cold. Let it warm up and pop. Once the popping slows take it off the head and put it in a bowl right away. I never use the microwave

  4. #14
    Supporter Jembru's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,477
    Gender
    female
    Religion
    Shamanist Witch with heady Celtic notes and a faint wiccan bouquet
    Location
    North East England

    Re: Popcorn; What am I Doing Wrong?

    Hey, I finally had time to get popping last night!



    It worked just great and it was thanks to the advice I got here! Once it started popping I turned down the heat but also kept lifting the pan off the hob altogether while shaking it and then putting it back down when the popping slowed down! I had a few bits only partly popped in the bottom but most of it popped just fine. I also put way more kernels in than I needed. In addition to that bowl I also filled a 2 litre flour jar! JP and I are going to see that new zombie movie 'The Girl with all the Gifts' tonight so I'll take the jar with us!

    A little goes such a long way. This is going to save us a fortune in snack food!
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

  5. #15
    Copper Member Ula's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    586
    Religion
    Heathen
    Location
    WV

    Re: Popcorn; What am I Doing Wrong?

    Cool. I love when people don't use microwave popcorn.

  6. #16
    Supporter Jembru's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,477
    Gender
    female
    Religion
    Shamanist Witch with heady Celtic notes and a faint wiccan bouquet
    Location
    North East England

    Re: Popcorn; What am I Doing Wrong?

    Okay everyone, so now you've got me popping like a pro my next question is..

    ..What are your best flavourings for home-popped corn?

    In particular, JP loves anything flavoured with lemon, but I don't actually know how I'd go about making lemon flavoured popcorn without it getting soggy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ula View Post
    Cool. I love when people don't use microwave popcorn.
    Well, I'm scared of microwaves so I couldn't. Any unexpected sound or movement in the microwave sends me into a panic and I switch it off at the mains and pull out the plug before the house explodes in a giant fireball killing us all!

    Mind you, one of my personal development aims for the next lunar cycle (starting with tomorrow's new moon) is to explore my fears and start facing them. This will include getting used to cooking with a microwave. Not having to wash 2 or 3 pans after every meal will be so freeing!

    I think popcorn will be a bit of a stretch because of the popping, but if you say hob is better, I'll probably use that as an excuse not to try it in the microwave!
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

  7. #17
    sea witch thalassa's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    11,211
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Location
    coastal Georgia
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

    Re: Popcorn; What am I Doing Wrong?

    Jem, lemon pepper and garlic salt are delicious together...including on popcorn.

    Also, you can use regular loose popcorn and a brown lunch bag to make popcorn in the microwave--no special microwave popcorn stuff required (there's also a microwave popcorn popper, which is reusable)
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

    “We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

    "We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

    "Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

    Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

  8. #18
    Live and learn anunitu's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    10,895
    Religion
    stregheria

    Re: Popcorn; What am I Doing Wrong?

    There is a school of thought(ran into it online) that contends microwaves alter food in a bad way,BUT truth be told any cooking alters our food(their are facts that barbecuing{grilling} is bad for your eating habits,but does taste good. Main thing is,you have to eat,so just try and not eat too much. Too much of any kind of food can be a problem(see Thals moderation talk) all things in moderation,including moderation.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

    all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.




    http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

    my new page here,let me know what you think.


    nothing but the shadow of what was

  9. #19
    sea witch thalassa's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    11,211
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Location
    coastal Georgia
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

    Re: Popcorn; What am I Doing Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by anunitu View Post
    truth be told any cooking alters our food(their are facts that barbecuing{grilling} is bad for your eating habits,but does taste good.
    Then again...if we didn't cook our food, we'd never have evolved big brains...maybe (this is a contentious area of human evolution)
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

    “We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

    "We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

    "Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

    Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

  10. #20
    Supporter Jembru's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,477
    Gender
    female
    Religion
    Shamanist Witch with heady Celtic notes and a faint wiccan bouquet
    Location
    North East England

    Re: Popcorn; What am I Doing Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by thalassa View Post
    Jem, lemon pepper and garlic salt are delicious together...including on popcorn.

    Also, you can use regular loose popcorn and a brown lunch bag to make popcorn in the microwave--no special microwave popcorn stuff required (there's also a microwave popcorn popper, which is reusable)
    Thanks for the tip! I've just found a recipe for making your own lemon pepper at home. JP and I use a lot of lemons (I make sure there's always a chopped up lemon in the fridge so JP can help himself to a slice whenever he likes.. he's that addicted!), so I've no shortage of lemon zest!

    Quote Originally Posted by anunitu View Post
    There is a school of thought(ran into it online) that contends microwaves alter food in a bad way,BUT truth be told any cooking alters our food(their are facts that barbecuing{grilling} is bad for your eating habits,but does taste good. Main thing is,you have to eat,so just try and not eat too much. Too much of any kind of food can be a problem(see Thals moderation talk) all things in moderation,including moderation.
    Exactly! I used to like to think I was better off by avoiding microwaves but they actually debunked the myth on the BBC's Trust me I'm a Doctor (I LOVE that show!!). In fact, they showed that because using a microwave reduces cooking time and removes the need to use additional liquid such as with boiling or steaming, it actually retains more of the nutrients if you're cooking things like vegetables.
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Similar Threads

  1. I Think There's Something Wrong With Me
    By Bartmanhomer in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 23 Mar 2016, 03:10
  2. Right or Wrong #2: Stealing
    By thalassa in forum Catacombs
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 22 Mar 2015, 12:41
  3. What's wrong with kitten's paw?
    By Azvanna in forum Catacombs
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 16 May 2014, 15:59
  4. Do you think it's wrong?
    By TheTeddy in forum Pagan Traditions & Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09 Sep 2012, 15:14

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •