Should the ignorant be given a vote?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should the ignorant be given a vote?

In the U.S., everybody who registers is allowed to vote.

Many - if not the majority - of people seem to be ignorant of some pretty basic stuff, like the U.S. Constitution, local, national, and world events, and that kind of "trivia."

How can we expect to elect good leaders when people who are horrendously ill-informed get the same vote as those who take the time and put in the effort to understand important issues?

Interesting article - The right to vote should be restricted to those with knowledge. From the article:

Consider an alternative political system called epistocracy. Epistocracies retain the same institutions as representative democracies, including imposing liberal constitutional limits on power, bills of rights, checks and balances, elected representatives and judicial review. But while democracies give every citizen an equal right to vote, epistocracies apportion political power, by law, according to knowledge or competence.

The idea here is not that knowledgeable people deserve to rule – of course they don’t – but that the rest of us deserve not to be subjected to incompetently made political decisions....
    So...

Waddaya think?
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Re: Should the ignorant be given a vote?

The problem with limiting the vote is that someone decides who is knowledgeable and who is not.
    The problem with not limiting the vote is you end up with votes you don't agree with.
    That is why we have a representative government called a republic. We elect people who are more informed to make the decisions.
    The problem with that is we elect liars and thieves.
    The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
    I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

One of the larger criticisms with democratic systems is the ability for a majority to subjugate a minority and the affect that money has on the ability to sway the vote.

I would say that ignorant voters are probably less of a problem than the mechanisms that are used to influence the vote.

Comment

I'm all in favour of Bassett Hounds being given the vote. Cunning little buggers, they are...
        www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

well apparently they are allowed to actually run for president.
          So yes. Yes is my final answer.
          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
            well apparently they are allowed to actually run for president.
            So yes. Yes is my final answer.
            LOL - but if you answer "no," maybe nobody allowed to vote would let that happen.

My opie-onion...

...great idea, if it didn't have a near 100% likelihood of abuse.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
            I'm all in favour of Bassett Hounds being given the vote. Cunning little buggers, they are...
            Beagles aren't real bright, but I think they could smell out a candidate overfilled with crap. Let them vote, too.
            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I remember in Junior High 8th grade we had to pass a civics class to graduate. Learned all the Government stuff,and our civic duty in understanding how our system of government functions. I do not think they still do that in the schools(this was California) that at about 1960.
              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Recently in the UK there has been a leadership election in the Labour Party. The UK labour party is now the largest party in Europe. And yet... the powers that be (who really wanted to get rid of the present leader, Jeremy Corbyn) disenfranchised about 200,000 of its own members for really weird stuff like liking the foo fighters, or once tweeting in favour of the Green Party (it seems that while MPs can change allegiances, members cannot.) Rules were changes arbitrarily, court cases ensued and all sort of skullduggery.
                I did not know it, but according to the great and the good I am apparently some sort of Trot and deluded to boot.

Therefore, I am very much against the idea of 'the ignorant' being excluded from voting because it seems to me that it would result in only those who fit a certain profile will have any say. That is not democracy.
                Mind you, democracy is a dangerous beast - witness the recent EU referendum in the UK. The moral of that tale, boys and girls, is never hold a referendum unless you know you can control the result. If you do not know (and do not care) at least have an alternative plan in place.
                But I digress. Jeremy Corbyn was re-elected with a bigger mandate.

So yes, allow deluded old Trots like me to vote, by all means.
                www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
                  ...Therefore, I am very much against the idea of 'the ignorant' being excluded from voting because it seems to me that it would result in only those who fit a certain profile will have any say. That is not democracy...
                  This is precisely how I think the abuse would most likely manifest.
                  Last edited by B. de Corbin; 30 Sep 2016, 14:31.

Comment

As a quick response to the question:

Yes because votes are about opinion - an opinion on who is most likely to do right by 'me.' Even those who may seem likely to be ignorant can be scarily articulate and shrewd when it comes to what is good for them.

Case in point.

On Monday, Mr Storrar addressed the Q&A panel: "I've got a disability and a low education, that means I've spent my whole life working for minimum wage. You're going to lift the tax-free threshold for rich people."

"If you lift my tax-free threshold, that changes my life. That means that I get to say to my little girls, 'Daddy's not broke this weekend, we can go to the pictures'.

"Rich people don't even notice their tax-free threshold lift. Why don't I get it? Why do they get it?"
                    This said by a guy with a disability, a low income and low education. A marginalised person for sure and someone who the majority would definitely be prejudiced enough to label as ignorant at first glance.

Ignorance also has a point of view and just because the education is not there doesn't mean it's wrong.
                    Last edited by Azvanna; 30 Sep 2016, 19:16.

Comment

Originally posted by Azvanna View Post
                      As a quick response to the question:

Yes because votes are about opinion - an opinion on who is most likely to do right by 'me.' Even those who may seem likely to be ignorant can be scarily articulate and shrewd when it comes to what is good for them.

Case in point.

This said by a guy with a disability, a low income and low education. A marginalised person for sure and someone who the majority would definitely be prejudiced enough to label as ignorant at first glance.

Ignorance also has a point of view and just because the education is not there doesn't mean it's wrong.
                      Good, I'd say, quick response, and an excellent example.

People can make choices for their own best self interest - an interest that can be pushed aside by those who may decide that the self interest of others isn't worth considering.

This is much like the point that Tylluan Penry was making, I believe.

Comment

Though this is kind of a joke,consider that if we allow an idiot to RUN for office,then that would seem to allow everyone to VOTE even if the people might at first seem to be less informed,BUT the people KNOW first hand just how stupid politicians can hurt them with bad decisions.

I vote we VOTE!!

- - - Updated - - -

So,this is the new election poster.
                        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Serious question: For those who are unable to figure out how to register to vote, should other be allowed to register them? (not I'm blind, I can't see a form. But more like those with mental disabilities that do not have the ability to function in society). In essence can someone like the Rain Man dude vote? Or are we like hey, you are 18 and in a coma, but sure, lemme register you and vote for you.
                          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Hundreds of years ago the aristocracy were the ones that held the power to influence politics on a national scale. That has since transitioned to corporations and special interest groups... but it's still the same types of people: Politicians, old money, new money, and the people closest to them.

When things seem to go bad, everyone is quick to blame the unwashed masses... but they've rarely, if ever, had any actual say in how things are run. It's always been the rich and educated.

Does anyone actually believe that votes have anywhere near the amount of influence that donations and backroom deals do? The educated and informed are just as often, if not moreso, greedy and corrupt. I'd trust a farmer or mason more than a CEO or lawyer to have a better idea of how this country should be run, every single time.

So yes, the ignorant should be given a vote... and I'd even go further and say that we should get money out of politics entirely so that votes actually matter.
                            Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                              Serious question: For those who are unable to figure out how to register to vote, should other be allowed to register them? (not I'm blind, I can't see a form. But more like those with mental disabilities that do not have the ability to function in society). In essence can someone like the Rain Man dude vote? Or are we like hey, you are 18 and in a coma, but sure, lemme register you and vote for you.
                              Oo wow good debate question. It leads to the obvious that there is a gray area when it comes to capacity to vote. In Australia, everyone over the age of 18 has to register to vote, but people who are deemed by a medical practitioner to be
                              incapable of understanding the nature and significance of enrolment and voting
                              source qualify for exemption. So it leads to the question at what point does a medical practitioner make that call? I wonder how many elderly in my community with dementia there are who would have trouble getting to the polls let alone be able to keep up with current politics to make an informed decision.

I do agree with voting on someone's behalf in the way Power of Attorney might operate. Even if it is exploited, it's one vote. Barring some incredible case of collusion in a nursing home or something like that, I don't think it could have a huge affect on outcome.
                              Last edited by Azvanna; 30 Sep 2016, 23:17. Reason: forgot to quote Duce.

Comment

Working...
                              X