No announcement yet.

Should the ignorant be given a vote?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Should the ignorant be given a vote?

Kinda going with Denarius on the get the money out of politics. No one should be able to "Buy" an election,EVER...money is NOT a vote..and also no corporation is a living,breathing human being,EVER,even if a court says they are!!

- - - Updated - - -

Just completely off topic:

Earth to humans:
    Stop all your crazy stupid stuff,you are really harshing my mellow. I just did some really good acid rain,and am digging the bees buzzing,and the cats purring,and the wind singing.
    One more stupid thing,and I am going to shake and bake all of you back to the stone age,you dig?
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
      Hundreds of years ago the aristocracy were the ones that held the power to influence politics on a national scale. That has since transitioned to corporations and special interest groups... but it's still the same types of people: Politicians, old money, new money, and the people closest to them.

When things seem to go bad, everyone is quick to blame the unwashed masses... but they've rarely, if ever, had any actual say in how things are run. It's always been the rich and educated.

Does anyone actually believe that votes have anywhere near the amount of influence that donations and backroom deals do? The educated and informed are just as often, if not moreso, greedy and corrupt. I'd trust a farmer or mason more than a CEO or lawyer to have a better idea of how this country should be run, every single time.

So yes, the ignorant should be given a vote... and I'd even go further and say that we should get money out of politics entirely so that votes actually matter.
      NOT to bait you, but out of confusion and hoping you can clear this up. Do you believe farmers are ignorant? I mean they have to know some serious science behind their job. But I get your gist.
      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
        Do you believe farmers are ignorant?
        Of "the U.S. Constitution, local, national, and world events, and that kind of 'trivia.'" Not necessarily, but more likely than CEOs and lawyers.
        Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

I don't think you know much about farming practices. Stop watching re-runs of Green Acres.

Comment

As the saying goes, it's a free country. I know we have a bunch of ignorant people, but one of our rights is to vote. We can't take that away from some people and let others vote. It wouldn't be fair. As much as I would like to have people be more educated in the system and politics, we have to let it be. The founding fathers wouldn't want us to mess with it.
            Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Originally posted by anubisa View Post
              As the saying goes, it's a free country. I know we have a bunch of ignorant people, but one of our rights is to vote. We can't take that away from some people and let others vote. It wouldn't be fair. As much as I would like to have people be more educated in the system and politics, we have to let it be. The founding fathers wouldn't want us to mess with it.
              Err, not only can we restrict voting but we currently do. Convicted felons lose the right to vote. Now whether restricting voting based on knowledge is a good idea might be debatable (I can go either way depending on my mood) but voting isn't an absolute right, it can be lost.

Plus the Founders expected us to screw with the Constitution, that's why steps to do so are built in. They made it difficult to be sure but the option has been there from the beginning. If I trusted the country at all then I'd say that we're well past the time that holding a Constitutional Convention to address various things would be profitable. I don't actually trust the country enough to open the Constitution up to endless revision but I wouldn't mind some Amendments going through.
              life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Another issue is that restricting the vote of the "ignorant" can generally be interchanged with restrict in the vote of the "poor" given that is who such a policy would affect the most. The poorest would probably lose more political power(not that they have much).
                Last edited by ThePaganMafia; 01 Oct 2016, 06:46.

Comment

Funny thing, in the UK the Queen is not allowed to vote. I remember querying this when I was very young, and an incense teacher exclaming, 'Well of course her Majesty does not vote, girl! Her wish is our command!'
                  And people wonder why I'm a republican...
                  www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

People want to deny the 'ignorant' to vote until they are the ones being denied the vote
                    [4:82]

Comment

I draw the line at consent. If a person is deemed incapable of consent (dependent adults, minors, etc) then I'm going to assume they are also mentally incapable of voting. I figure that's a decent line. It's still subject to misuse, but just about everything is.
                      We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                      It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                      Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                      -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

I think prisoners should be given the vote.
                        www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
                          I think prisoners should be given the vote.
                          Hmm. Well we do take away some of their rights as felons, such as hey, no guns for you, no hanging around kids (depending upon your crime etc). But I guess I don't have a problem with them voting.

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                            Hmm. Well we do take away some of their rights as felons, such as hey, no guns for you, no hanging around kids (depending upon your crime etc). But I guess I don't have a problem with them voting.
                            That raises an interesting question. One of the reason's people question who should vote is awareness of things which calls into question a prisoner's social awareness and interaction. A life sentence would seem to suggest a lack of connection to social and political influences ongoing in the community which would affect / effect them. Don't have the number's but I vaguely recall statistically a large percentage of long term prisoners who've been released will get re-arrested as the prison system is all they know and the outside system is so foreign to them once they get up in age.

I suppose theory wise being in prison could be seen as another form of social ignorance regarding what is going on within and influencing society and its politics. Not short term incarcerations but long term or life sentences, especially isolation usages. Figure prison or even jail culture has its own set of rules and social structure and permissions.
                            Last edited by monsno_leedra; 03 Oct 2016, 11:59.
                            I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

I'm not necessarily in favor of letting current prisoners vote. I wouldn't mind making the ban on voting by convicts who've served their time temporary though. Apparently though, this is already the case in a number of states

life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

People deemed mentally incapacitated by the courts can't vote. But a lot of Alzheimers patients don't get court-certified, and some go vote with no idea what they're doing. No matter where you set the bar, there will be some leeway. We can't really declare ignorance as a reason, because there are some who'll claim religious persecution. I know a local woman, for example, who isn't allowed to read/watch any news because her husband says it upsets her too much and he wants her to be happy. She votes for whoever he tells her to, and has no knowledge of anything going on in the world besides grocery prices. This is their brand of religion. So there's that......
                                sigpic
                                Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Working...
                                X