Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: Blood-bound Handfasting

  1. #11
    Loud Mouth Heka's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    3,883
    Religion
    Northern Tradition Neo-Paganism
    Location
    South Australia
    Phrase
    I drink, and I know things

    Re: Blood-bound Handfasting

    Quote Originally Posted by monsno_leedra View Post
    ... that a few drops of menstrual blood, will bind a man to a woman and act as a fertility type thing...
    I don't see any fertility in menstrual blood. Menstrual blood is almost the opposite of fertility. I mean yes it generally means your reproductive system is working, but literally means you failed at fertility that month. Children as a sign of lines bonding yes, but not menstrual blood. Any who that's OT


    Blood to symbolize the sacrifice you make in that relationship maybe Shahaku? If it seems like the right thing to both of you, do it. That tends to be my outlook. If it feels right, chances are it is.
    ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

    RIP

    I have never been across the way
    Seen the desert and the birds
    You cut your hair short
    Like a shush to an insult
    The world had been yelling
    Since the day you were born
    Revolting with anger
    While it smiled like it was cute
    That everything was shit.

    - J. Wylder

  2. #12
    Silver Member monsno_leedra's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    2,609
    Religion
    Shamanic Practitioner & Green / Hedge Witch with Hellenic leanings
    Location
    West Virginia
    Phrase
    Can't never did nothing till it tried!

    Re: Blood-bound Handfasting

    Quote Originally Posted by Heka View Post
    I don't see any fertility in menstrual blood. Menstrual blood is almost the opposite of fertility. I mean yes it generally means your reproductive system is working, but literally means you failed at fertility that month. Children as a sign of lines bonding yes, but not menstrual blood. Any who that's OT


    Blood to symbolize the sacrifice you make in that relationship maybe Shahaku? If it seems like the right thing to both of you, do it. That tends to be my outlook. If it feels right, chances are it is.
    Still off topic

    Menstrual blood ties back into the blood issue of feeding blood to the ground and producing crops and fertility as a sacrifice for a good harvest. It also ties into the idea of a women being most fertile during or shortly after the menstrual cycle and by placing her blood into his drink promising her fertile ground as a place for his seed and fertilization of her egg. Which ties into the idea of the egg and unrealized potential for life. Which ties back to the menstrual blood and offering of her egg to him. Got to remember it had a lot to do with folk magics and folk beliefs.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

  3. #13
    Loud Mouth Heka's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    3,883
    Religion
    Northern Tradition Neo-Paganism
    Location
    South Australia
    Phrase
    I drink, and I know things
    Quote Originally Posted by monsno_leedra View Post

    Still off topic

    Menstrual blood ties back into the blood issue of feeding blood to the ground and producing crops and fertility as a sacrifice for a good harvest. It also ties into the idea of a women being most fertile during or shortly after the menstrual cycle and by placing her blood into his drink promising her fertile ground as a place for his seed and fertilization of her egg. Which ties into the idea of the egg and unrealized potential for life. Which ties back to the menstrual blood and offering of her egg to him. Got to remember it had a lot to do with folk magics and folk beliefs.
    Still OT

    Which is all valid. But it isn't logical to me to use dead blood for fertility. Of any kind.
    ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

    RIP

    I have never been across the way
    Seen the desert and the birds
    You cut your hair short
    Like a shush to an insult
    The world had been yelling
    Since the day you were born
    Revolting with anger
    While it smiled like it was cute
    That everything was shit.

    - J. Wylder

  4. #14
    Silver Member monsno_leedra's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    2,609
    Religion
    Shamanic Practitioner & Green / Hedge Witch with Hellenic leanings
    Location
    West Virginia
    Phrase
    Can't never did nothing till it tried!

    Re: Blood-bound Handfasting

    Quote Originally Posted by Heka View Post
    Still OT

    Which is all valid. But it isn't logical to me to use dead blood for fertility. Of any kind.
    To continue to OT

    I guess it begs the question is menstrual blood actually dead blood? Yes the content within it might be perceived as waste or potentially unwanted but is it, ie the blood, dead? Even potentially how long must the content carried from the body be outside the body before it is considered as "Dead"? Figure "Sperm" can last for a limited amount of time outside the body before it dies yet still perform it's biological function if it penetrates and gains contact with an egg.

    It's a sticking point for certain and from what I recall the "Drink" would have to be consumed quickly from the time the menstrual blood was taken and added to it to ensure it was active and potent. You couldn't take blood and let it sit for any amount of time and use it later, so it had to be "Body temperature" more or less. But as I said above the males were not to informed in that type of practice as it was passed down to our sisters by our mothers, grandmothers and aunts. We were just warned not to drink things or eat certain things. Well unless the women in the family said it was ok according to my older relatives but that was changing when I hit my teens. Though some of the older aunts and such still warned us about drinking any thing offered to us boys.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

  5. #15
    Loud Mouth Heka's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    3,883
    Religion
    Northern Tradition Neo-Paganism
    Location
    South Australia
    Phrase
    I drink, and I know things

    Re: Blood-bound Handfasting

    How long it's dead is a good question. But I don't think you'll get an easy answer. I've never thought about it before myself. As someone trying to get pregnant, the moment that blood exits my body it's of no use to me. I guess currently I consider it dead as soon as menstruation starts.

    If I was avoiding pregnancy on the other hand, menstruation would be a cause for celebration haha.
    ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

    RIP

    I have never been across the way
    Seen the desert and the birds
    You cut your hair short
    Like a shush to an insult
    The world had been yelling
    Since the day you were born
    Revolting with anger
    While it smiled like it was cute
    That everything was shit.

    - J. Wylder

  6. #16
    Silver Member monsno_leedra's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    2,609
    Religion
    Shamanic Practitioner & Green / Hedge Witch with Hellenic leanings
    Location
    West Virginia
    Phrase
    Can't never did nothing till it tried!

    Re: Blood-bound Handfasting

    Quote Originally Posted by Heka View Post
    How long it's dead is a good question. But I don't think you'll get an easy answer. I've never thought about it before myself. As someone trying to get pregnant, the moment that blood exits my body it's of no use to me. I guess currently I consider it dead as soon as menstruation starts.

    If I was avoiding pregnancy on the other hand, menstruation would be a cause for celebration haha.
    All I can say there is many women and more than a few doctors have said if you want fruit of the womb make sure your man doesn't wear Fruit of the Loom under wear. Holding the Teste close to the body the way the fruit of the loom undergarment does causes the count to be lower which reduces the numbers of available soldiers to get the job done so to speak. But that is going way off topic from blood bound hand-fastings he he he
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

  7. #17
    Supporter Jembru's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,477
    Gender
    female
    Religion
    Shamanist Witch with heady Celtic notes and a faint wiccan bouquet
    Location
    North East England

    Re: Blood-bound Handfasting

    Quote Originally Posted by Heka View Post
    How long it's dead is a good question. But I don't think you'll get an easy answer. I've never thought about it before myself. As someone trying to get pregnant, the moment that blood exits my body it's of no use to me. I guess currently I consider it dead as soon as menstruation starts.

    If I was avoiding pregnancy on the other hand, menstruation would be a cause for celebration haha.
    Yeah, I'm with you on this one. The only time menstrual blood is a sign of fertility in my mind is when a young lady has her first period, signalling she's now physically able to make a baby.

    I'm the opposite of you and actually developed a medical condition because of my fear of getting pregnant (some might remember that I spoke about it a few years ago in the adult section). Anyway, as part of my therapy I mapped my cycle and also use those dipper tests for women who want to get pregnant, that tell you when you're ovulating. I avoid any kind of bedroom behaviour on those days (I do use contraception but I'm scared of the 0.01% chance that it fails, they're not good enough odds!), and for me it's just 4 days of the month and they're as far from the bleeding days as you can get. So, long and far too revealing story short, I agree, menstrual blood is the opposite of fertile blood.
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

  8. #18
    Loud Mouth Heka's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    3,883
    Religion
    Northern Tradition Neo-Paganism
    Location
    South Australia
    Phrase
    I drink, and I know things
    Quote Originally Posted by Jembru View Post

    Yeah, I'm with you on this one. The only time menstrual blood is a sign of fertility in my mind is when a young lady has her first period, signalling she's now physically able to make a baby.

    I'm the opposite of you and actually developed a medical condition because of my fear of getting pregnant (some might remember that I spoke about it a few years ago in the adult section). Anyway, as part of my therapy I mapped my cycle and also use those dipper tests for women who want to get pregnant, that tell you when you're ovulating. I avoid any kind of bedroom behaviour on those days (I do use contraception but I'm scared of the 0.01% chance that it fails, they're not good enough odds!), and for me it's just 4 days of the month and they're as far from the bleeding days as you can get. So, long and far too revealing story short, I agree, menstrual blood is the opposite of fertile blood.
    Lol I could talk about natural fertility for daayyzzz
    ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

    RIP

    I have never been across the way
    Seen the desert and the birds
    You cut your hair short
    Like a shush to an insult
    The world had been yelling
    Since the day you were born
    Revolting with anger
    While it smiled like it was cute
    That everything was shit.

    - J. Wylder

  9. #19
    Apprentice of Doom Shahaku's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,190
    Gender
    Female
    Religion
    Eclectic Witch
    Location
    Iowa
    Phrase
    Move forward with purpose. -Sherillyn Kenyon

    Re: Blood-bound Handfasting

    I can add that I know there are magical properties to menstrual blood as ritual blood. I think that's partly because it's the only blood that doesn't have to be taken from the body, your body freely gives it to you to use. One of the things we talked about with the blood binding ritual was that if one of us was menstruating during the ritual time, it could be really powerful to use. But on the flip side we're smearing it on each other and bacteria issues etc. So it was vetoed. But it did come up that if we ever felt blood was a necessary part of a ritual, using menstrual blood was a good option.
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

    I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

    Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Similar Threads

  1. The Wedding/Handfasting Thread
    By iris in forum Catacombs
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 16 Apr 2015, 13:08
  2. Celebs want pagan Handfasting.
    By Kahlenda in forum Catacombs
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 13 Sep 2013, 16:14
  3. My handfasting at stonehenge
    By Optimistic discord in forum Catacombs
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02 Aug 2013, 21:12
  4. handfasting cords
    By nymphetflower in forum Catacombs
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 16 Jul 2013, 13:38
  5. pentagram blessing/handfasting cords
    By RedButterfly13 in forum Celtic Traditions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05 Nov 2012, 13:43

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •